Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models
      #321521 - 14/11/18 01:53 AM

https://www.springfield-armory.com/xdm-10mm-features/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Re: Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models [Re: Ripp]
      #321527 - 14/11/18 05:07 AM

Related article
9 lives of the 10mm
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/7/18/nine-lives-of-the-10-mm-auto/

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #321536 - 14/11/18 08:12 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Thanks for sharing Ripp.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models [Re: Homer]
      #321552 - 14/11/18 11:56 PM

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/2015/09/22/the-glocks-of-greenland/

The Glocks of Greenland

Greenland, if you don’t count Australia, is the largest island in the world. It is covered largely in deeply frozen polar ice and is one of the most inhospitable places on earth. Part of the Kingdom of Denmark ever since the time of the Vikings, this massive frozen subcontinent is patrolled by a crack team of volunteers from back home in Europe.

The elite Slædepatruljen Sirius (Sirius Sledge Patrol) or informally Siriuspatruljen (Sirius Patrol) is a 14-man Royal Danish Navy unit that conducts long-range reconnaissance and enforces Danish sovereignty in the arctic wilderness of Northern and Eastern Greenland, an area that includes the largest national park in the world.

They are all volunteers who sign up for a two-year tour of duty. If selected they spend the first six-months of their deployment at their home base where they learn their dogs, build their sled (I’m not making this up), and round out their equipment choices while making short trips into the interior.

When the time is right, they pair up and head out on longer patrols, which can cover as much as 2,000 miles, working around the huge island’s coastline. On those deployments, the two sledders are on their own, making reliance on their gear paramount.

Candidates for Slædepatruljen Sirius learn to hunt near Mestersvig, Greenland. [2048x1366]
Their longarm of choice to ward off invasion, polar bears, and frozen space aliens found in the ice: the M17/M53 rifle. This weapon is a (slightly) modified M1917 Enfield 30.06 made in the U.S. during World War 1 for the US Army. They were supplied to the Danish military in 1953 (hence the M17/M53 designation) and are still used by both the Danish Home Guard, a more informal version of the US Army National Guard, and other units.

The regular Danish military issues the 7.62x51mm HK G-3 rifle made in Germany or the modified 5.56mm M-16 made in Canada. However, the Sirrus Patrol, who walks a beat on one of the most inhospitable places on earth, still use a bolt-action rifle made nearly a hundred years ago. Why? Because it works and they find it and its 30.06 round utterly reliable in sub-zero nightmare weather.

As a sidearm, each member of the patrol also carries on him at all times an early-generation Glock Model 20 pistol in 10mm Auto. Those 10mm aficionados out there know of its power and mystique, but for those who do not lets break it down.
Back in the late 1970s, a group of firearms engineers working on what would later be the controversial Bren 10 pistol visited firearms guru Colonel Jeff Cooper to get his input on the ultimate handgun round. After several months of talks and some final tweaking by Norma cartridges of Sweden, the Centimeter round was fully developed. As you know, a centimeter is 10mm and by 1983 the 10mm Auto burst onto the scene. Using the case of the old .30-caliber Remington carbine round with a 25mm length, the 10mm Auto remains one of the hottest and most powerful production handgun rounds in history.

Typical loads range from 135-200 grain bullets but all deliver over 550 ft. /pounds of energy and approach speeds of almost 1600fps. The 10mm outperforms the .40 S&W by 200–250 ft. /s on average for similar bullet weights and has a pressure of more than 37,500 psi, some 2,500psi higher than the .40S&W. However it still delivers about 100-ft pounds more energy than the average .357SIG round, for about 2,500psi less pressure.

In short, this superhot, hard-hitting round is hard to beat. Moreover, coupled in the G20, you get 15+1 rounds good to go with a loaded weight of 39-ounces, which is about the same as an (unloaded) Colt M1911A1 Government, which is the generational equivalent to the Dane’s old Enfield rifles.

Sirius Patrol recruiting ad (in Danish but with English subtitles), in which you will see a Glock 10mm show up several times. If I had to tackle a polar bear with a pistol, the G20 would be high on our list of options…right behind a sawn off double barrel 8-gauge with an underslung flamenwherfer.

But you can’t beat the views of the neighborhood

sirius-patrol-member-is-watching-the-northern-light-in-northeast-greenland-547

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#321569 - 15/11/18 09:03 AM

G'Day Fella's,

A great read Ripp, thanks for sharing.
Hard to argue with any of the facts, contained in this article.

Regards
Homer

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#322334 - 11/12/18 12:40 AM

More info--another review of sorts
http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/springfield-armory-xdm-10mm/316606

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#322347 - 11/12/18 08:57 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Thanks for sharing Ripp.

D'oh!
Homer

x2

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #322352 - 11/12/18 11:21 AM

These XD's are very interesting.

I had a G20 with lots of problems and wrote up the long and sordid tale on glocktalk years ago. Glock eventually replaced the pistol with a G19 and a pile of 33 rd mags but then that one and my G19 both decided to give me chronic Brass To Face and I got rid of both of them and went back to SIG's for field pistols and a Ruger LC9 for carry.

I corresponded for quite a while with a Danish member of Slædepatruljen Sirius and discussed their use of the G20 quite a bit.

My problem with my G20 was the gun ran fine with powderpuff and .40 S&W power loads but I got repeated bolt over jams with full power ammo. Since I had my problem I have found this is not an isolated incident. Hard holding aggravated the problem. IIRC a loose hold improved things but only marginally.

The Sled Patrol guys had been carrying single stack M49 SIG {P210} pistols so the 10mm was a plus, but...they had trouble getting ammo for them and some of it of course was underloaded which most factory ammo of the time was. Probably still is? In fact, this was some years ago and their organization in Denmark was suggesting a heavy revolver as a replacement but I am not sure which one. Fellow I was corresponding with didn't know. I'm not sure if that panned out or not. They liked the light weight of the Glock and that is one of its best features, that and 15 shot mags.

I had a really bad experience with the G20 and for that matter, had bad experience with the other 2 Glocks I owned also tho they were both reliable. They were late Gen 3 guns and plagued with BTF.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322355 - 11/12/18 02:39 PM

That is interesting info..I have had an issue with my 20 but only because the guy I used to have some work done on it didnt know what he was doing.. I took a to a different gun Smith who fixed it I have not had any issues with it since and probly now have over 1200 rounds through it.

I also have probably 8 or 9 other clocks that I've had 0 issues with that have combined, thousands of rounds through them with no issues..ever..have a Glock 34 I know has 10,000 rounds through it..has never jammed or not fired

Have another friend Cody who worked out east for the feds..his boss wanted to see what a Glock would actually take..he spent an entire summer trying to make it fail..
50,000 rounds later..throwing it against brick walls..driving over it..driving over it in mud..he told me he never did get it to fail..impressive..

The local shops here can't keep the new Springfields in stock..talked to shop again tonight..said they are gone as fast as they come in..plan to demo one this weekend..looking forward to it..I took am interested to see how it feels and shoots..

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #322357 - 11/12/18 03:53 PM

Quote:

The local shops here can't keep the new Springfields in stock..talked to shop again tonight..said they are gone as fast as they come in..plan to demo one this weekend..looking forward to it..I took am interested to see how it feels and shoots..

Clearly Glocks are great guns but I am a magnet for lemons I guess. LOL.

Let us know how the XD 10mm goes!! I have a 320 I carry in the woods when I am not carrying a rifle, but the 10mm XD sounds really interesting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Springfield Armory's NEW XDM in 10mm... 2 models [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322791 - 27/12/18 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Clearly Glocks are great guns but I am a magnet for lemons I guess. LOL.

Let us know how the XD 10mm goes!! I have a 320 I carry in the woods when I am not carrying a rifle, but the 10mm XD sounds really interesting.

NOT impressed in the least by the trigger on the new Springfields...looonnnggg trigger pull... would certainly replace if purchased..

Springfield is thinner in the hand than the Glock 20--

Each to their own, but out of all the 10mm's I have shot, the 1911 frame gets the nod..whether a Colt Delta, Kimber or otherwise...the two I have the most experience with are the Colt and Kimber...hard to beat in terms of fit and feel.. IF, you need more rounds, I would take the Glock..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2605

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com