Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: tinker]
      #321142 - 01/11/18 07:32 PM

Quote:

I think it is interesting.
The PRS sport is good for the shooting community for obvious reasons and it's good for the industry.

On the topic of 6.5 goodness, I'm putting together a new rifle in 264 Winchester, setting up for long bullets at subatomic velocity. With the 8-twist and slow powder it should be consistent and accurate.
I still want a double rifle in 6.5x53r

I used a .264W for a couple years..nice shooting caliber..low recoil..and very flat shooting ..

Man..a double in 6.5x53r sounds like an incredible little project..good luck with that..

BTW..There is another article on this caliber in the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Ripp]
      #321150 - 02/11/18 12:49 AM

Info --questions/answers with George Gardner..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rIIb3YSPj4

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #321165 - 02/11/18 03:23 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing that link Ripp.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #321182 - 03/11/18 10:56 AM

Thanks for that link Ripp. Not sure why he did not go with the SAUM case.............forgot it is not a Hornady case

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Rule303]
      #328895 - 28/05/19 12:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that link Ripp. Not sure why he did not go with the SAUM case.............forgot it is not a Hornady case

BECAUSE that would have been the 6.5 GAP 4S.. or very close to it..

I agree, would have been easier..think there are several reasons for it.. including gov contracts behind the scenes for a specific cartridge with very specific characteristics.. see the 300PRC is now being used by some military branches..

Then, as you state, there is that little issue of NOT being a Hornady case..

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: ducmarc]
      #328925 - 28/05/19 09:57 AM

In a short cartridge this is as close as possible to the 264WM. I believe (?) the US is trialing the 6.5PRC in their sniper rifles.
Atm its just a marketing exercise for cartridge creep on the 6.5CM.
Would be fantastic with 140 woodleighs on large soft skin game. That would be the only attraction for me.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: tophet1]
      #331207 - 15/08/19 11:05 PM

Reload info..
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/6.5-prc-load-data/361500

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #331218 - 16/08/19 02:29 AM

Interesting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: DarylS]
      #331229 - 16/08/19 07:41 AM

If I was going to go down this road I would simply re-barrel my 300SAUM.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Rule303]
      #332824 - 30/09/19 10:16 AM

Good info from the guy who helped design this cartridge..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rIIb3YSPj4

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#332825 - 30/09/19 10:25 AM

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/2/27/review-hornady-65-prc-cartridge/

Review: Hornady 6.5 PRC Cartridge
by Richard Mann - Tuesday, February 27, 2018

To capitalize on the current interest in long-range shooting, Hornady has introduced what might be its best long-range cartridge yet, the new Hornady 6.5 PRC.
Sniper-like shooting skills have impressed us since the dawn of the rifle. That alone was enough to drive moviegoers to see the film “American Sniper.” And, combined with the story of Chris Kyle’s patriotism, devotion to duty and premature death made the movie a blockbuster. It was also an anthem to the American soldier. War is hell, coming home is hell and living with the war you fought is hell. “American Sniper” conveyed that message, one our veterans have known since 1776.
More importantly, when the movie was released America was in dire need of a hero. Our political elite, sports stars and entertainers, aren’t a shadow of the hard men who forged this country, or men like Kyle who protect it today. At heart, Americans are cowboys, and Kyle was an average American cowboy who, like countless other average Americans, heeded the call. The movie reminded us what a hero really was and how badly we missed having one around.
The portrayal of Kyle gave us the new millennium’s John Wayne, and to connect with him, Americans responded by emulating his craft. Suddenly, everyone wanted a precision rifle, the related gear, and the requisite skill to hit at 1,000 yards. This was first manifested in the rise of the 6.5 Creedmoor, a cartridge introduced seven years before the film. As interest in “going long” peaked, shooters realized its virtues and as the film left box offices, “the Creed” became the cartridge of the future.
Shooting trends come and go and long-range shooting is what’s hot. What's helping that trend is the Hornady 6.5 PRC, a cartridge expressly built to be the ideal long-range—shoot the cents off a nickel—cartridge. It’s based on the 300 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum) so it holds more powder than the Creedmoor. The two initial Hornady loads are a 147-grain ELD Match bullet at 2,910 fps and a 143-grain ELD-X bullet at 2,960 fps. With a 100-yard zero, drop at 1,000 yards will only be about 24.5 MOA. And, bullets will impact in less than 1.40 seconds, with a retained velocity of more than 1,600 fps. The 6.5 PRC remains supersonic beyond 1,300 yards.

By comparison, at 1,000 yards the Hornady 6.5 PRC is traveling 5 percent faster than a .300 Win. Mag. But, the amazing statistic is that the 6.5 PRC does this with only about 68 percent of a.300 Win. Mag.’s recoil. As riflemen know, the harder a rifle kicks, the harder it is to shoot with precision. You can shoot more rounds from a 6.5 PRC and enjoy better-than-.300 Win. Mag. performance while experiencing less fatigue.
A magnum-powered 6.5 mm cartridge is nothing new, so you might be wondering why Hornady didn’t just load the 6.5 Rem. Mag., .264 Win. Mag. or the 6.5-284 Norma with modern bullets. As simple as the answer is, it’s also mildly complex. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) sets specifications for commercial rifles. For the older 6.5s, the stipulated twist rate is too slow to handle the modern, high BC, 6.5 mm bullets. These older cartridges are also flawed with features like a short neck, a rebated rim or a belted case. Yes, from a velocity standpoint, the Hornady 6.5 PRC is similar to these cartridges. But, with the proper twist rate and chamber dimensions that are compatible with modern bullets, the 6.5 PRC is clearly superior. This is an aspect of new cartridges often overlooked by consumers afflicted with neophobia, and who think there’s nothing new under the sun.
I tested two Hornady 6.5 PRC rifles; one built by Proof Research and the other by Gunwerks. The first thing I noticed was the limited recoil. The second was that the cartridge performed as advertised. Average velocities with factory ammo were higher than Hornady’s numbers, trajectories were flatter than Kansas and you could cover every 100-yard, five-shot group with a nickel. By combining things long-range shooters like to tout, such as a 30-degree shoulder, a longer-than-caliber case neck and a pressure curve that will not fry a barrel in a couple thousand rounds, the 6.5 PRC has lots going for it.
Admittedly, the 6.5 Creedmoor is all the long-range cartridge most of us can appreciate. But, for those with the skill, drive and determination to reach out as far as they can, the Hornady 6.5 PRC is a better option. Still, it will never be as popular as the 6.5 Creedmoor looks to become. This is partly because “the Creed” has a running start, partly because it has a cooler name and partly because few shooters have the skill to realize its limitations. None of this changes the fact that there’s at least a veiled (if not obvious) connection between the “American Sniper” movie, the current long-range, precision-shooting frenzy and the 6.5 PRC.
I’ve shot a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor rifles, but I don’t own one. I will be getting a Hornady 6.5 PRC, because it offers the best balance between long-range performance and recoil of any cartridge currently available; it’s the high-performance 6.5 mm cartridge many have dreamed of. I may not have the skill to take it to its limits and I’m no American sniper. What I am is an American rifleman, and like most Americans, I have a little bit of cowboy in me. And, like with any real cowboy, no range is too far to ride.

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (30/09/19 10:28 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #332828 - 30/09/19 04:05 PM

He he, I notice the article studiously fails to mention the .264 Winchester Magnum and the even earlier 6.5x68mm. Surely the same or extremely similar velocity cartridges?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: NitroX]
      #332829 - 30/09/19 06:34 PM

Quote:

He he, I notice the article studiously fails to mention the .264 Winchester Magnum and the even earlier 6.5x68mm. Surely the same or extremely similar velocity cartridges?

Actually in the second portion, 10th sentence..the 264W is briefly mentioned..

Many of the articles do bring up the 6.5x55 and 264W Mag as a reference to today's modern cartridges...

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #332833 - 30/09/19 08:27 PM

Interestingly none of the articles ever mention the 6.5x53R Mannlicher which was the round that not only started all the 6.5's but was also the absolute go-to cartridges at the turn of the century. If you read any literature written at that time the praise and wonderment heaped on the Mannlicher cartridge was no different to what is written about all these modern 6.5 cartridges, especially about its incredible penetration and killing power as well as the amazing velocity of 2400fps and how flat shooting it was, especially when compared to the other cartridges of the time. Incredible penetration and killing power. The craze of that cartridge in 1900 was no different to the 6.5 Creedmoor today.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #332844 - 01/10/19 01:19 AM

Quote:

Interestingly none of the articles ever mention the 6.5x53R Mannlicher which was the round that not only started all the 6.5's but was also the absolute go-to cartridges at the turn of the century. If you read any literature written at that time the praise and wonderment heaped on the Mannlicher cartridge was no different to what is written about all these modern 6.5 cartridges, especially about its incredible penetration and killing power as well as the amazing velocity of 2400fps and how flat shooting it was, especially when compared to the other cartridges of the time. Incredible penetration and killing power. The craze of that cartridge in 1900 was no different to the 6.5 Creedmoor today.

Matt.

The power of the 6.5 is very real..

I have taken several elk with my 264W Mag.. all one shot kills .. from 300 to 550 yards.. granted they don't go immediately numb like they do when hit by a 200gr 30 cal bullet.. but, as they say, dead is dead...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#332853 - 01/10/19 04:05 AM

My buddy Keith still has and loves his 6.5x68S.(& 8x68S)

He was using a 6.5x68S back in 1979 when I met him(at work)& he still hunts with one today, albeit with a new(er) barrel.

I chambered up one on a new-barrel 6.5x55 M96 back in the late 80's.
i didn't run it to the nuts, but still ran 129gr. Hornadys at 3,100fps.
Keith was pushing those at 3,300fps in his 6.5x68.
To extract a loaded round, I had to partially pull the bolt. I think Kieth was using 4 or 5 grains more H870 than I was using.
That is a hell of a good round. The only .264 Win. Mag I ever had, was a M70A, post 64 that had a ridiculous 22" bl. My .260CLC wildcat(basically 6.5x57IMP) ran less than 50fps slower(26")with a 120gr. Barnes XLC), but did that with 20gr. less powder than the .264. 3,308 fps vs. 3,350fps.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#337880 - 13/02/20 09:20 AM

The6.5 PRC seems to be catching on ..at least here in the US..

Additional rifles offered this year in 6.5PRC

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/new-65-prc-rifles-for-2020/371826

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#337889 - 13/02/20 04:51 PM

Some of those rifles have a family man's price tag. Interesting indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#337891 - 14/02/20 01:19 AM

Quote:

Some of those rifles have a family man's price tag. Interesting indeed.

True story... and some, not so much..

Appreciate the interest in this nation with the 6.5 caliber.. other parts of the world had it down long ago..

I honestly hope and believe this will help a lot of shooters out there who were shooting 30-378 Weatherby's realize the 6.5 will kill just as quickly on 90% of the game in N America with substantially less recoil.. AND in many cases, better long range ballistics..

Seems to now be a bit of an annoyance for many as its apparently getting too much attention for their tastes.. I disagree.. the more publicity of calibers like this, rifles like this, the more people buy, shoot and just plain participate in.. which is good for all of us.. we need as many shooters, hunters, etc. out there as we can get..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#337895 - 14/02/20 01:52 AM

IF the 6.5PRC doesn't fit your needs...8 more in 300 PRC..

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/new-300-prc-rifles-2020/371860

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #337896 - 14/02/20 02:34 AM

I've been watching this thread for sometime and thought I would interject my thoughts as limited as they might be.
I purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor a year or so past. Its an over the counter Rem 700 tactical, the only thing I've done to it is restock it with a carbon fiber stock and change the trigger. I've been a handloader since the early 1960's and loaded for many different cartridges, I don't believe I have ever found a cartridge easier to load for to achieve pinpoint accuracy. This rifle and cartridge will consistently put three rounds in sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and I'm certainly no Chris Kyle.
I have several friends who own this cartridge on different platforms that have expressed the same comments.

Bob

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #337897 - 14/02/20 03:10 AM

Quote:

the more publicity of calibers like this, rifles like this, the more people buy, shoot and just plain participate in.. which is good for all of us.. we need as many shooters, hunters, etc. out there as we can get..

That's it.
Right there.

Get more Americans behind accurate rifles, shooting them and enjoying the sport.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #337899 - 14/02/20 04:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the more publicity of calibers like this, rifles like this, the more people buy, shoot and just plain participate in.. which is good for all of us.. we need as many shooters, hunters, etc. out there as we can get..

That's it.
Right there.

Get more Americans behind accurate rifles, shooting them and enjoying the sport.

Sorry Tink, couldn't resist.

That's it.
Right there.

Get more Americans buying their 101th rifles, based on advertising "need".

Why is there no comparison to the 264 Win Mag in that article?

Lots of advertised currently selling rifles though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: NitroX]
      #337954 - 15/02/20 01:10 PM

That guy with 101 rifles who just bought another one in the newest hype cartridge..?

I just hope he's going to get out and shoot it.

And I think he should buy another rifle.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

#337956 - 15/02/20 02:41 PM

Quote:

That guy with 101 rifles who just bought another one in the newest hype cartridge..?

I just hope he's going to get out and shoot it.

And I think he should buy another rifle.

HEY...KNOCK IT OFF..

I'm that guy..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26957

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com