Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mannlicher or Mauser?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Mannlicher or Mauser?
      #320868 - 22/10/18 03:40 PM

Mannlicher or Mauser?

This started as a reply to member Porker, who had stated (on the Mauser Discussion Forum) that he is considering purchase of a 'Mauser/Mannlicher type' rifle and had requested advice / opinions.

As my responses are more of an ode to the Mannlicher Schönauer, I figured I'd move them here.

His (Porker) original post:

Hi all,
Especially you Ossie blokes who might be able to give some advice on helping me look for my first classic sporter down under. I'm hoping to compliment my Merkel double recently acquired wth a classic bolt rifle of the Mauser/Mannlicher type ... Shul style is a basic guideline but not absolute. Looking for something special used as I can't afford new, about 5k is the thinking.

I'm also looking at a possible custom build if I can't find anything suitable. That would mean barreled action first and progression as funds are available. From what I have seen on auctions, you can find engraved samples at a fair price which would otherwise cost you extra if going the custom route 6.5 ideally but would go 7's and open to anything no greater than 8mm.

Any collectors out there trimming the herd? Any advice appreciated.

My original reply:

If you can, try the action of a 'pre - WW2' Mannlicher Schönauer before you decide. There's nothing else like it.

The M1903 was chambered for (readily available) 6.5X54MS. The M1905 (9X56MS). M1908 (8X56MS), and M1910 (9.5X57MS) are essentially for handloaders (a worthwhile pursuit), while the M1924 was chambered in .30-'06. The 'M1925' was available in several chamberings, including 7X64.

The 'factory take down system' is a dandy bit of kit. I have one in 9.5X57 (M1910), a.k.a..375 Nitro Express Rimless 2.25", with its original fitted case.

Within your budget of $5k, you may even find a nice cased example:

If you have a 'custom build' done, you may also consider using an action from a '1903 Greek' military Mannlicher Schönauer as they should be somewhat readily available. The 'Greek' MS (Y1903, Y1903 - 14, 1927, 1930) and the MS sporting rifles, carbines, all have shared roots in the M1900 and use the same incredibly smooth Mannlicher Schönauer action and rotary magazine.

Best o' luck, and keep us posted.

His next:
I appreciate all the effort you made with such a detailed response Hammer, that is definitely a serious consideration ... especially if the actions are as smooth as you say... is it simply from repeated usage or the nature of these Mannlicher actions? A butter smooth action is a non negotiable for me, just not sure where I’ll find one. Did they come with octagon barrels?

Now this:

Quote:

I appreciate all the effort you made with such a detailed response Hammer,
Quote:

No problem, glad to help. The expert on these matters would be member Kuduae (Axel Eichendorff), a Saxon Forester who uses an M1910 on the job. Several other members own, use, and share information about their MS on the Mannlicher forum as well.

Quote:

... especially if the actions are as smooth as you say... is it simply from repeated usage or the nature of these Mannlicher actions?
Quote:

They were that way 'out of the box'. Here is a video of the old 'tilt it forty degrees or so and it will close (and lock) itself' trick, and this is on a post - 1950 MS (as evidenced by the rearward swept bolt handle). The 'prewar' models are smoother, still. MS Video

Quote:

A butter smooth action is a non negotiable for me, just not sure where I’ll find one. Did they come with octagon barrels?

'Mannlicher Schönauer' and 'butter smooth action' are synonomous. As far as I know (again, Kuduae knows more), all of the production models left the Steyr factory with full round barrels. However, several of the finest gunmakers, particularly British shops, built half octagon versions on the MS action including the M1900. I was ready to say that no MS were built at Steyr with half octagon barrels until I saw this: Rock Island MS. The listing strongly implies that it was shipped from Steyr to the U.S. through Stoeger in this configuration, but I strongly suspect the barrel, foresight, and stock (checkering, forend tip) are not 'factory' - especially as it's an M1924 in '7mm'.

That the MS action is so very smooth is, I believe, a result of superior machining and finish as well as its superbly balanced design. The bolt handle is attached forward of center on the bolt, not at the rear. The Schoenauer magazine (flawless in its operation) has nothing to 'bind' or 'drag'.

Here is an animation of the '1903 Greek' (military) action, in action. MS Animation

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Mannlicher or Mauser? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #320878 - 22/10/18 09:32 PM

I like 'em both!

My 1903:

I posted it here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....4&fpart=all

My MCA in the extremely rare chambering of .358 Win.:

I posted it here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....3&fpart=all

And a custom FN Mauser in .30-06 I had built many years ago:

I posted it here. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=54094&an=0&page=1#Post54094 It was the very first post in the Mauser Forum Photos and Archive when that forum was first created.

I still have all three rifles in the safe.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: Mannlicher or Mauser? [Re: CptCurl]
      #320895 - 23/10/18 07:24 AM

Love the ball grip on the 1903.....just my kind of rifle.

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Mannlicher or Mauser? [Re: bouldersmith]
      #320903 - 23/10/18 11:56 AM

Me too!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Mannlicher or Mauser? [Re: bouldersmith]
      #320904 - 23/10/18 01:23 PM

Quote:

Love the ball grip on the 1903.....just my kind of rifle.

Agreed!
The 'ball grip' has a lovely aesthetic, but there's nowhere to put your spare sight bead .

The wood on that FN Mauser is quite nice,as well. Reminiscient of the 'curly maple' oft used on 'Kentucky' and 'Pennsylvania' rifles.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #320911 - 24/10/18 02:01 AM

Roscoe,

Yours sure looks a lot like mine. Mannlicher Model 1903 with Lyman 36 receiver sight.

I actually prefer this one. Mauser Model M in .30-'06, with Lyman 48 receiver sight and Kollmorgan Bear Cub 2 1/2X scope in a Griffin & Howe side mount.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Mannlicher or Mauser? [Re: xausa]
      #320922 - 24/10/18 12:11 PM

Those are two fine looking rifles!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #320935 - 25/10/18 08:15 AM

Some very fine looking rifle you have gentlemen.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3635

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com