Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Red dot sight questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Red dot sight questions [Re: NitroX]
      #315096 - 08/04/18 08:28 PM

one more point on the red dots I looked at. There must have been two at least with batteries. The Aimpoint H2 Micro was not a true red circle dot, and flared out to the lower right of the dot circle. The owner of that shop saw the same.

The other red dot sight, forget which one that was, perhaps they found a battery for one, also flared to the top right. Not a bad circle, except maybe a 20% flare.

If I still have perfect vision or someone with who does, oi would be interest if it flared for them as well. The gunshop owner said most red dot sights flare.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #315114 - 09/04/18 07:43 AM

Quote:

one more point on the red dots I looked at. There must have been two at least with batteries. The Aimpoint H2 Micro was not a true red circle dot, and flared out to the lower right of the dot circle. The owner of that shop saw the same.

The other red dot sight, forget which one that was, perhaps they found a battery for one, also flared to the top right. Not a bad circle, except maybe a 20% flare.

If I still have perfect vision or someone with who does, oi would be interest if it flared for them as well. The gunshop owner said most red dot sights flare.

The Aimpoint flared as you had the brightness setting to high. Turn it down and when it is right for the ambient light you get a circle dot. Also remember that because of the asymmetric ( I think is the right term analogy)construction to eliminate parallax error it could well influence the flaring to one side. However I see this as nothing to worry about when you consider that if the dot in the Aimpoint - appears to be, is say in the upper right, lower left etc, and is on the target you are on the target. Means that if you are in a hurry and your eye is not placed in line with center of scope you can still shoot just as accurately.

coll416
.275 member

Reged: 19/02/12
Loc: Central Queensland
Re: Red dot sight questions [Re: Rule303]
      #315129 - 09/04/18 10:02 PM

My thoughts gents

I fitted an Aimpoint Hunter to my 9.3x62, the plan is to interchange with a 1.75-6x32 Leupold (Talley QD) depending on where I am. My eyes are not real flash using open sights anymore!I find that the Aimpoint flares if the power setting is up too high. This is fine if you are in cover with expectation of close shots, otherwise adjusting down is easy. I have two 1-4x20 Leupold which are quick for running stuff but not in the same park as the Aimpoint!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Red dot sight questions [Re: coll416]
      #315173 - 11/04/18 01:20 AM

Quote:

My thoughts gents

I fitted an Aimpoint Hunter to my 9.3x62, the plan is to interchange with a 1.75-6x32 Leupold (Talley QD) depending on where I am. My eyes are not real flash using open sights anymore!I find that the Aimpoint flares if the power setting is up too high. This is fine if you are in cover with expectation of close shots, otherwise adjusting down is easy. I have two 1-4x20 Leupold which are quick for running stuff but not in the same park as the Aimpoint!

What size dot are you using?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #318544 - 29/07/18 12:59 PM

John,

check these out..
http://www.gunsandammo.com/sponsored/review-aimpoint-reflex-sights/

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Red dot sight questions [Re: Ripp]
      #318548 - 29/07/18 02:23 PM

"The reflected dot is of fixed diameter, subtending 2 or 4 minutes of angle (MOA) for handgun and rifle models, and 6 MOA for shotgun sights. While the diameter doesn’t change, intensity of the light can be adjusted up to a dozen settings."

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Red dot sight questions [Re: Ripp]
      #318550 - 29/07/18 02:33 PM

Thanks mate.

Saw the thread and article.

I am keen, but my main issue is trying them out in real life. I did try out an aimpoint and thought the tiny dot for a rifle, was a bit non existent for combined rifle and shotgun use. Haven't made my mind up on it yet.

On the other hand, a very low powered scope with heavy reticle and if possible red dot as well, does have a substantial sight to use for both rifle and shotgun. The Leupold Hog Scope seems to do this very well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#318568 - 30/07/18 01:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks mate.

Saw the thread and article.

I am keen, but my main issue is trying them out in real life. I did try out an aimpoint and thought the tiny dot for a rifle, was a bit non existent for combined rifle and shotgun use. Haven't made my mind up on it yet.

On the other hand, a very low powered scope with heavy reticle and if possible red dot as well, does have a substantial sight to use for both rifle and shotgun. The Leupold Hog Scope seems to do this very well.

I have used and purchased several types..have two on different AR's..like them alot for closer target acquisition..fast..have used them on handguns also..have never used one on a shotgun or rifle..

I do have leupold VX-6's with the fire-dot reticle I used last year in Cameroon..liked it a lot for the first hour of the day or last hour at night..or even mid-day if the light is weird...bright light and shadows in the woods..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#320641 - 15/10/18 04:27 AM

Another new red dot primarily for handguns..been reading lots of good reviews on this..AND Aimpoint make good stuff..

https://us.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-p-1/

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons...ries-sight.aspx

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (15/10/18 04:48 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15996

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com