Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser DWM

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Mauser DWM
      #320530 - 10/10/18 08:05 PM

Looks like Mauser are bringing out a DWM model as well as possibly DWM ammunition.

https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-dwm.html

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #320534 - 10/10/18 11:14 PM

I want one

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: Viking338]
      #320547 - 11/10/18 09:02 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #320548 - 11/10/18 09:13 AM

Anybody want to buy a kiddney

That is one sweet looking rifle and going by the picture it has the thumb cut out on the left.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Mauser DWM [Re: Rule303]
      #320553 - 11/10/18 10:48 AM

Yes the thumb cutout would be a big selling point for me as well.

Matt.

--------------------

Viking338
.333 member

#320561 - 11/10/18 03:26 PM

On the web site the “Diplomat” is one sweet looking rifle also. Aaah now to save up and find an importer
I was trying to find out how much the Diplomat was to get some wild/close idea of how much a DWM would sell for.

Yes Greg lucky we are born with two kidneys

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#320563 - 11/10/18 04:48 PM

Outdoor Sporting Agencies are the new importers and the Diplomat sells for $10000, or at least that's what they were when Mialls were the importers.

Matt.

--------------------

Viking338
.333 member

#320564 - 11/10/18 05:14 PM

Quote:

Outdoor Sporting Agencies are the new importers and the Diplomat sells for $10000, or at least that's what they were when Mialls were the importers.

Matt.

Damn might have to cough up one lung as well to sell

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #320565 - 11/10/18 10:31 PM

Very nice modern rifle indeed with nice combination of wood and steel, although not many photos are available yet.

I think that the Deutsche Waffen und Munitionen company stopped producing rifles in 1945, so the brand name & logo may have entered the public domain or may have been brought from the people/company still owning the rights ; our German peers may wish to clarify ?

Anyway, the Blaser Group GmbH - which already owns Mauser, Blaser, Rigby, etc., apparently made a wise marketing strategy effort by obtaining/acquiring rights on the DWM brand and logo in order to expand their product line.

The new DWM action presented on the photos doesn’t look like having been sourced from military surplus stock and is pretty modern in shape with, in particular, sharp angles. In a modern manufacturing production rationale, DWM new rifles should therefore be made with the same components already manufactured for the M98 and Rigby lines and probably assembled at the same place, with only top-of-the-range rifles finished manually at specific locations. The same rationale should also apply to the new DWM ammunition line, probably produced at the same factory that already produces the Blaser-branded ammunition.

The reason behing the thumb cut is still a mistery to me : vintage look obviously but not commercially viable decision (unlikely option from the Blaser Group) if the new DWM rifle cannot be sold on the US market. Thumb cut may therefore come as an option for buyers outside from the US, unless of course the maker can demonstrate that thumb cut and associated stripper clip lips are not functional and decorative only ? Time will say.

Modern hunters should be deeply grateful to the Blaser Group to still manufacture rifles classic in style (I have voluntarily not written ‘classic rifles’) and revive old brands however I cannot adhere to the Group’s marketing strategy for the same reason I could not adhere to a wine tasting where one would be given to test several different wines, let’s say an Australian Shiraz, an American Cabernet from Napa Valley, a South African from Chocolate Block and a French one from Bordeaux kwowing from start that branding and bottles only are different but that the wine in all four bottles comes from the same vineyard.

This is obviously my opinion only and I accept all other opinions than mine on this subject ; it is therefore not my aim at all to start a new e-war between pros and antis !

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: Louis]
      #320583 - 12/10/18 11:51 AM

Perhaps I am missing something, but it appears to me that other than the much talked about advantage of the "thumb cut" for easing loading of the magazine by stripper clips:

Mauser drawings made before the release of the M98, prove that the "thumb cut" had a function as a vent area for any escaped high-pressure gas entering the LHS lug raceway - remember also that the vents in the bolt body exit into the LH lug raceway. Obviously the M98 was not the first Mauser design to have this feature. The RHS lug raceway is largely blocked by the extractor, so with no vent hole in most M98 receiver rings (eg the Mexican Mauser is an exception) the LHS lug way is the primary escape route for gas and flying debris.

It's true that some Oberndorf made commercial actions had a solid left wall. All those I have seen were made well after Paul Mauser died (perhaps this is not the case as they are pretty thin on the ground and I've only seen a handful). The ones I have handled all were relieved on the upper side of the LHS raceway with a small neat area relieved immediately in front of the rear bridge which can only have served to vent gas.

Without some sort of vent, in the event of a high pressure gas leakage for whatever reason, the M98's "full bolt shroud" would be sorely tested, the final barrier to the shooters head.

I've often wondered which is better. The thumb cut provides a huge area for gas release, but what about the shooters face, assuming a RH shooter using a std RH M98. The solid left wall with the much smaller vent area might appear to be a disadvantage, but the gas and any debris is vented upwards. I suppose Mauser must have tested these things back in the day.

Rule303
.416 member

#320584 - 12/10/18 01:15 PM

Louis, your post may have lost something in translation so to speak, to me at least.

Re the thumb cut out, are you saying any rifle that can be loaded with a stripper clip is not allowed to be imported in to the US? I mean you have SMLE's, M98, M96, Cacarno's etc by the bucket load there. Then there are the AR Magazines that can be loaded with a stripper clip.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #320590 - 12/10/18 03:32 PM

I did not searched the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' website www.atf.gov for the specific ruling however British & European auction houses now inform customers that "under current rulings enforced by BATF any Mauser 98 actioned sporting rifle that has a thumb recess in the sidewall and loading-clip cut-out in the rear bridge will be refused an import permit into the United States".
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rule303
.416 member

#320596 - 12/10/18 08:24 PM

Quote:

I did not searched the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' website www.atf.gov for the specific ruling however British & European auction houses now inform customers that "under current rulings enforced by BATF any Mauser 98 actioned sporting rifle that has a thumb recess in the sidewall and loading-clip cut-out in the rear bridge will be refused an import permit into the United States".
Louis

That is fucked. Wonder if they apply that to the SMLE's and others with stripper clip feeds. Should point out to them the M1 Garand uses a clip.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #320599 - 12/10/18 11:41 PM

Quote:

Anybody want to buy a kiddney

Is a great looking rifle..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

RugerBoy
.224 member

Reged: 18/08/12
Loc: South Africa
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: Ripp]
      #320857 - 21/10/18 11:46 PM

Just need DWM on the grip cap then all the exposed metal parts are stamp.

My 2 cents, it give a fine rifle a cheap look. Not to mention the floor-plate

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: RugerBoy]
      #320877 - 22/10/18 09:17 PM

Quote:

Just need DWM on the grip cap then all the exposed metal parts are stamp.

My 2 cents, it give a fine rifle a cheap look. Not to mention the floor-plate

I had the same impression. The DWM marque jumps out from every angle.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: CptCurl]
      #320957 - 26/10/18 05:27 PM

Other than the branding, how does this rifle differ from the Rigby Big Game Rifle?

At first glance anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Mauser DWM [Re: NitroX]
      #320961 - 26/10/18 07:53 PM

John I do not believe the Rigby has the thumb cut out. Without seeing pics or handling them it is hard to say. The DWM may have a different magazine set up. I find the Rigby's to be too heavy for their stalking rifles, so hopefully the DWM is lighter.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #320962 - 26/10/18 08:12 PM

Quote:

John I do not believe the Rigby has the thumb cut out. Without seeing pics or handling them it is hard to say. The DWM may have a different magazine set up. I find the Rigby's to be too heavy for their stalking rifles, so hopefully the DWM is lighter.

Yes the magazine release looks similar to the 1909 "Argentinian" trigger guard magazine release.

I think the rifle pictured is the same as Mauser has been selling for some years. Just had DWM etched onto it. As PR for the DWM ammunition initiative release.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
Re: Mauser DWM [Re: NitroX]
      #320968 - 27/10/18 01:36 AM

Hi!

I like the thumb cut in a hunting Mauser! A lot, for many reasons. Glad to see it in these DWM MAUSERS!

PH

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com