Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen
      #320220 - 01/10/18 12:19 AM

Got some photos of the most unusual double rifle I've seen yet. Made by Robert Schrader in Goettingen, 1854 – 1935 or, as most of his guns, for him by the former v.Dreyse factory, since 1901 Rheinmetall branch in Soemmerda.
The rifle is based on Schrader's trunnion breech action, his DRPatents of 1901 # 137824 and # 165257. As the trunnions are almost at the same level as the barrel axis, there is very little tendency of the hinge to open on firing. On the other hand this makes a very wide action. The left wall of the action is hand detachable from it's curved dovetails to allow the gun to be disassembled.
The triggerplate lockwork was invented by Schrader too, patented by DRPs # 89537of 1896 and # 100924 of 1898. It is a spring cocking lockwork. It's function resembles the famous Beesley-Purdey sidelock somehow. Each lock has a V-shaped mainspring, both arms engaging the hammer. One arm pushes the hammer forwards, while the stronger arm pushes the hammer back to the full-cock position. So the hammer is always at full cock, but can not swing forward unless the stronger arm of the mainspring is cammed out of engagement. In Schrader's lockwork the third "trigger" below the triggerguard serves three functions: In the middle, "neutral" position, a shown in the photos, it keeps the gun shut with the cam out of engagement with the mainspring, "Safe". Pushed forward, it is the opening lever pulling the underbolt out of engagement. Pulled back against the pistol grip, an internal cam disengages the stronger mainspring arm from the hammer, compresses the mainspring further and so sets the gun on "fire". Pushing it forward again to the middle position sets the locks on "safe" again, decompressing the mainsprings . Both triggers on this dr may be set. The rifle has pre-1912 Suhl Nitro proofmarks.
But the most unusual feature of this rifle is the chambering. The right barrel is chambered for the old blackpowder 11.15x65R LK aka "11 mm Drillingspatrone lang". This cartridge was cataloged with a "nitro for black" load, a 17.5 g = 270 gr Copper jacket, Tesco type bullet in front of 3 g = 46 gr R5 smokeless powder. But this barrel is proofed for a "Full Nitro Express load", most likely a Schrader proprietary load, of 3.6 g = 56 gr smokeless and a STEEL jacketed bullet, most likely the 21 g = 324 gr one as used then in the 11.2x60 Schueler.
The left barrel is in .600 NE , proofed for a 7.5 g = 116 gr charge of smokeless powder and a steel jacketed bullet!
The rifle was apparently built to order for use in Africa. The right, first barrel with Schrader's NE load would probably handle any game with a well placed shot, but using cheaper and lighter ammo without excessive recoil. If anything went wrong, you had the .600 in the second, left barrel as a charge stopper, just in case. The murderous recoil then probably did not matter much, as there was no third follow up shot anyhow.
Any comments or better ideas about the gun and it's purpose?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen [Re: kuduae]
      #320233 - 01/10/18 07:32 AM

Wow that is unusual!
I have to agree with you Kuduae, you're explanation of the different bores is indeed very plausible!
The recoil of the 600 out of this rifle would have been bloody horrendous!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen [Re: 93x64mm]
      #320243 - 01/10/18 01:21 PM

Very nice. Doesn't appear the left barrel has been used (dropped) much. I am not surprised.
Intriguing, indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen [Re: DarylS]
      #320245 - 01/10/18 02:56 PM

That is WEIRD! But neat! Odd choice of 11.15 me thinks.

Imagine a .303/500, be a handy combo.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen [Re: Ash]
      #320281 - 02/10/18 01:49 PM

kuduae, you know I need the serial number for my dreyse data list

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Unusual dr by Schrader, Goettingen [Re: lancaster]
      #320284 - 02/10/18 07:18 PM

Quote:

I need the serial number for my dreyse data list

16006, seems not to be a Dreyse number. Maybe Schrader's?

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #320285 - 02/10/18 07:36 PM

Very unusual indeed, Kuduae; thank you for sharing.
The German proficiency at inventing/improving new weapons systems has no limits!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #320307 - 03/10/18 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I need the serial number for my dreyse data list

16006, seems not to be a Dreyse number. Maybe Schrader's?

no, not a Dreyse number
the two Dreyse made Schrader guns in my list have a number between 37700 and 38400. don't believe schrader made or sold 16000 guns before so it must be a number of another firm in suhl/ zella mehlis.

in any case the double rifle is highly unusual and your explanation with the cheap express cartridge for everyday and the big barrel for encounter dangerous game making sense. do you know anything about the history of this gun? were did it survive the last hundered years?
the 600 NE loaded with lead bullets at 500 m/sec makes a "20 ga super magnum".

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3520

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com