Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ...
      #319918 - 19/09/18 01:20 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/17/wyoming-hunting-guide-fatally-mauled-by-grizzly-bears.html

A Wyoming hunting guide was fatally mauled and his client was injured when a pair of grizzly bears attacked them Friday, officials said.

Authorities later euthanized two grizzly bears, a mother and a cub, who wildlife managers believe killed guide Mark Uptain and wounded his client Corey Chubon near the Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks border, according to USA Today.

“All available evidence indicates that these two bears were the bears involved in the Terrace Mountain attack,” Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokeswoman Rebekah Fitzgerald said in a statement Sunday.

Uptain and Chubon were attacked by bears as they field dressed the elk they had shot Thursday but were only able to find Friday, officials said. The bears “aggressively charged” the men and didn’t touch the dead elk, Teton County officials said.

The deadly incident came weeks after a federal judge halted Wyoming state officials’ plans to hold a grizzly hunt this month, according to USA Today. The hunt was put on hold until Oct. 1.

“I can only imagine how horrific this was,” Sy Gilliland, a hunting guide and spokesman for grizzly hunters in the area, told the newspaper. “You've got a bear population that's basically un-hunted, is an apex predator, and has no fear of humans.”

Uptain was a father of five, authorities said. A GoFundMe page was launched to help his family.

“I have been best friends with Sarah (Uptain’s wife) since the 2nd grade, we have done a lot of life together,” Rauli Perry, a family friend, wrote on the page. “I know I can’t take away the pain, but if we can help support Sarah to be able to focus on the kids and not worry about finances.“

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: Ripp]
      #319920 - 19/09/18 04:29 AM

Yeah, that just sucks.
But we need to public the name and address of the Lib judge who blocked the hunt (again)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: szihn]
      #319930 - 19/09/18 06:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that just sucks.
But we need to public the name and address of the Lib judge who blocked the hunt (again)

Agree..just like the libs tried to post the names of cc individuals..start doing the same thing to them...see how they like it...

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: szihn]
      #319932 - 19/09/18 07:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that just sucks.

The judges name is available online, unless he or she is drawn and quartered in public, who is going to take any notice!!!!!

A judge has blocked the opening of the first grizzly bear hunts to be held in the Rocky Mountains in more than 40 years. U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen's Thursday order comes as Idaho and Wyoming prepared to open the first grizzly bear hunting seasons in the Lower 48 states since 1974 on Saturday.Aug 30, 2018

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: eagle27]
      #319937 - 20/09/18 05:09 AM

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/this_just_in/article_07ef8702-644f-5f6f-86e1-9b3505df00b0.ht

Excerpt:

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Monday released new details about the fatal mauling of hunting guide Mark Uptain last weekend, including that bear spray was deployed.

“An investigation found a discharged can of bear spray with the safety off near the body,” Game and Fish officials said in a statement. “It was later determined that the sow (female bear) had been sprayed with bear spray.”

The complete investigation is still ongoing, the notice said, and will continue with a forensic analysis to provide additional scientific evidence.

It would appear, at least in this case, and several others actually published as of late, the bear spray is NOT working... the guy who got hammered by a griz near my home town last fall dumped an entire can on the sow as she was coming in..the guy said she blew right through the pepper spray cloud and kept coming...

Each to their own but I will continue to use a gun vs spray..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (20/09/18 05:12 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: eagle27]
      #319939 - 20/09/18 05:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that just sucks.

The judges name is available online, unless he or she is drawn and quartered in public, who is going to take any notice!!!!!

A judge has blocked the opening of the first grizzly bear hunts to be held in the Rocky Mountains in more than 40 years. U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen's Thursday order comes as Idaho and Wyoming prepared to open the first grizzly bear hunting seasons in the Lower 48 states since 1974 on Saturday.Aug 30, 2018

This ruling from the bench is such a load of crap, but is the way the left is attempting to skew the will of the majority.. happens here all the time..

Hunters and others should start demonstrating in front of this persons house of the next few months...give them a taste of their own medicine..

--------------------

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
      #319943 - 20/09/18 11:10 AM

the latest:
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/article_b4d14d59-e76a-5da6-9929-b9422416a744.html

choose your hunting partner wisely!

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: rscott]
      #319945 - 20/09/18 12:16 PM

If we could just get the bears to eat the right people the problem would solve it self.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: rscott]
      #319948 - 20/09/18 01:09 PM

Quote:

choose your hunting partner wisely!

NO SHIT...WOW.....

EXCERPT:
Chubon, whose leg, chest and arms were lacerated by the bruin, RAN for his life. His last view of Uptain, which he relayed to investigators, was of the guide on his feet trying to fight off the sow.

In an interview with the Orlando, Florida TV station WKMG, he described Uptain as his hero.

“I’m just extremely blessed and fortunate to have made it out of this situation alive,” Chubon told WKMG.
-----

I am sure Uptain's family is relieved to know he is a hero to this guy ..

Edited by Ripp (20/09/18 01:20 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#319956 - 20/09/18 10:25 PM

Info this morning from the NRA Newsletter...

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0918

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#320068 - 25/09/18 07:48 PM

Another liberal judge ruling..

https://apnews.com/30a8f66939fc4da982e2e2f6d6414148/Judge-restores-protections-for-grizzly-bears,-blocking-hunts

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #320080 - 26/09/18 06:28 AM

Time to be leaving Judges out in hostile bear country.

Think I would be carrying the side arm and not pepper spray.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: Rule303]
      #320095 - 26/09/18 11:48 PM

AND yet another..

Hunter attacked by grizzly bear on Montana reservation..

https://ktvq.com/news/montana-news/2018/...na-reservation/

It would seem,at least in the cases reported as of late, firearms are having a more effective effect on the attacks than pepper spray..each to their own, but wind in the wrong direction wont turn the bullet back into my face like spray.. I'll take the gun..

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #320105 - 27/09/18 08:12 AM

Quote:

AND yet another..

Hunter attacked by grizzly bear on Montana reservation..

https://ktvq.com/news/montana-news/2018/...na-reservation/

It would seem,at least in the cases reported as of late, firearms are having a more effective effect on the attacks than pepper spray..each to their own, but wind in the wrong direction wont turn the bullet back into my face like spray.. I'll take the gun..

Pepper/Oc/Mace spray's are what I call subjective. They take time to work, they really need to be heavy dosed so the bear needs to be in real close. Wind has a big influences on effectiveness and bears, like people, will be affected to differing degrees. On people these sprays work all the way from being very effective to having bugger all effect. Be buggered if I want to risk my life on the attacking bear being one that will be greatly effected by the spray. Like Ripp, I'll take the gun.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: Rule303]
      #320118 - 27/09/18 12:15 PM

This is how we'll get someone out there murdering every grizzly they can find.

No legal season?
No problem.

Also, for self defense the 500 JRH or 475 Linebaugh in a slim 5-shot revolver is nice to carry and very very effective.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: tinker]
      #320137 - 27/09/18 10:41 PM

Quote:

No legal season?
No problem.

Also, for self defense the 500 JRH or 475 Linebaugh in a slim 5-shot revolver is nice to carry and very very effective.

Its called "Western Justice"..and it works quite well...

While in Alaska last spring I attended a seminar on handgun carry for protection in Alaska..the lady giving the presentation also promoted the 10MM loaded with solid cast core ammo..or the next step up, she was very enthusiastic about the 460 Rowland..

https://www.460rowland.com/

233426 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (28/09/18 12:14 AM)

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #320161 - 28/09/18 06:48 PM

Condolences to those concerned.

As to the circumstances of the attack...I'm guessing that they must have been bow hunting? I would imagine that any bear that got too up close and aggressive with a rifle hunter would have come out second best. Anyone know the exact circumstances ?

Anyway, I hope the hunter makes a speedy recovery and the Guides Family is well cared for.

cheers
rod

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: Rod4861]
      #320168 - 28/09/18 10:28 PM

Quote:

Condolences to those concerned.

As to the circumstances of the attack...I'm guessing that they must have been bow hunting? I would imagine that any bear that got too up close and aggressive with a rifle hunter would have come out second best. Anyone know the exact circumstances ?

Anyway, I hope the hunter makes a speedy recovery and the Guides Family is well cared for.

cheers
rod

All is explained in the stories listed above..

Not sure the results would have been any different with or without a gun based on the circumstances of the attack..who knows...however based on the story, the client sure as hell didn't help much by putting his tail between his legs and running, leaving the outfitter to fend for himself with a grizzly on top of him.. as someone else posted, "choose your hunting partners carefully"... seems that certainly applies to this case

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming Hunting Guide fatally mauled by grizzly ... [Re: tinker]
      #320345 - 04/10/18 12:21 AM

Quote:

No legal season?
No problem.

FINALLY--

This is how the lawsuits got taken care of as well on the wolf hunts as well.. only way to fight those crazed lib idiots..

https://www.safariclub.org/what-we-do/fr...t-grizzly-bears

In response to the September court-ordered listing of the grizzly bear, Congresswoman Liz Cheney (R-WY) has introduced legislation directing the Department of Interior to re-issue a previous delisting decision. The Grizzly Bear State Management Act also prevents further judicial review of the delisting.

Grizzly-close-up “Today, I introduced the Grizzly Bear State Management Act, which directs the Department of the Interior to re-issue the rule delisting grizzly bears in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, and prohibits any judicial review of this decision,” said Congresswoman Cheney in a Sept. 25 press release.

SCI strongly supports the Congresswoman’s efforts.

“SCI views the recovery of the GYE grizzly bears as a conservation success story, and since at least 2006 has advocated for the delisting of GYE grizzly bears from the threatened species list,” said SCI President Paul Babaz. “Success should lead to movement forward—state management and well-regulated hunts—not needlessly expending federal resources on a population that has been recovered for more than a decade.”

“This year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) determined that, ‘The population has rebounded from as few as 136 bears in 1975 to an estimated 700 today and meets all the criteria for delisting.’ Additionally, USFWS biologists determined the grizzly bear currently exceeds the carrying capacity of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and now occupies more than 22,500 square miles,” Congresswoman Cheney continued.

In August 2018, the court held a hearing on the delisting. Attorneys for the FWS; the states of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana; and several non-governmental organizations including SCI and the NRA, made strong arguments in defense of the delisting and the use of hunting as a grizzly bear management tool. The Montana district court judge issued two, 14-day temporary restraining orders against hunts planned by Wyoming and Idaho.

A federal court ultimately invalidated the delisting in part on its view that the FWS did not adequately consider the impact of the GYE grizzly bear delisting on other grizzly populations in the lower 48 states. The court also disagreed with the FWS’s conclusion regarding the threat posed by GYE population’s relative genetic isolation. The court remanded the rule back to the FWS.

“The decision by a Federal District Court Judge in Montana to re-list the grizzly ignores science, and disregards the important work done by the state of Wyoming to establish an effective grizzly bear management plan. My bill will stop this abuse of the court system and put management of the grizzly back in the hands of experts in Wyoming,” concluded Congresswoman Cheney.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #320347 - 04/10/18 02:16 AM

Well done, Congresswoman.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11717

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com