Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop
      #319783 - 12/09/18 01:11 PM

WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Gun Shop here in Wisconsin.

Hello All,

This came about yesterday, when a friend called to tell me about an interesting 458 cal. Mauser, with a short barrel, that was for sale at a local Gun Shop. He knew I collected 458's, having 8 in my collection. As you might expect, you don't find many BIG BORE rifles for sale here in Wisconsin. So, I had to go and take a look. ... And, not so much to my surprise, it followed me home; just because I needed another 458. Nine ? ? ?

The rifle was "Made in Belgium" (so marked) with a "Chrome Vanadium Barrel" "cal 458" (so marked) with the typical bunch of Liege Proofs marks scattered about. It was built on a vintage FN barrelled action with all the numbers matching; Receiver, Bolt, Barrel, and Bottom metal; they all matched. It had nearly 98% of its original bright blue finish. It has a very fine Sako Trigger w/ side safety, a nicely checkered Laminated stock with 3 reinforcing cross-bolts, a "White-Line" Mershon Co. recoil pad, a checkered Grip Cap, and an Ebony Forend Tip. The under 20" Barrel was cut-down from some unknown longer length, and nicely crowned, resulting in an overall length of just under 40 inches. It has Sights consisting of a Long-Slide Lyman No. 48 Peep at the rear, and a Gold Bead Ramped Sight at the front, and a filler block in the mid-barrel island where a rear sight could go. It weighs a light 8 pounds 2 ounces, with a 13-1/2" LOP. It holds 3 down, and 1 up. And, ..... if all that wasn't enough, the Reciever, Trigger Guard, and Floor Plate are tastefully "Floral Engraved". All this, for the "walk-out-door" price of only $650. WOW

So here's a question for the Forum members. Any idea who built this rifle? The rear sight filler block has the initials "R.C.P." and ".458". I'm assuming this is the rifle's builder because the man who commissioned this rifle to be custom made (now deceased) doesn't have those initials. I also found "R C Pace" (?) penciled in the barrel channel.

Anyone know of a gunsmith with the initials; "R.C.P." ? ..... Please Help.

As always, your comments are welcome.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: buckstix]
      #319786 - 12/09/18 03:35 PM

I don’t know who made it but I like it & nice price !

Did the Royal Canadian Police have .458,s for Bear/Mosse work ?

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: Sarg]
      #319788 - 12/09/18 05:48 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Buckstix, I'm no expert but the bolt handle and left side of the action, may indicate an FN Browning action?

Sorry mate, that doesn't address you question (Who made it) but I hope may help unravel the puzzle.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: Homer]
      #319795 - 12/09/18 10:59 PM

I believe Mershon Co. closed up shop or sold out to Pachmayer in the early 1970's if it helps to find a date range on this gun.

The thicker laminates of the stock also seem to point to that. Rutlands thinner layer came in mid to late 90's on.

I believe it was Bishop who was offering these stocks early 70's. Now that is a recall from my 70 year old memory bank, so take it for what it is worth.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: DoubleD]
      #319801 - 13/09/18 12:39 AM

Nice, I would have snapped that up too.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: DoubleD]
      #319807 - 13/09/18 05:25 AM

Quote:

...in the early 1970's if it helps to find a date range on this gun.

The thicker laminates of the stock also seem to point to that. Rutlands thinner layer came in mid to late 90's on.

Now that is a recall from my 70 year old memory bank, so take it for what it is worth.

This supports your recall. An article from Rifle Magazine, May/June 1972 with a laminate stocked 6.5 Rem Mag takedown from a Kentucky maker formerly based in Michigan:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #319815 - 13/09/18 08:55 AM

I was shown an 'in the white' bbl'd action back in the 90's at a local shop that had come in for sale.
It was a Belgian marked Model 98 commercial.
(stamped 'Belgium' on the bottom of the front recv'r ring flat right behind the recoil lug)
In 270WCF and had the exact same engraving pattern on it as the OP rifle.
The shop owner,,a very knowledgeable gun person in the biz since the early 60's said it was factory (FN) engraved and I had little doubt also.

I never got a second look at it as it got bought (supposedly 'promised' to another customer of the shop.) ,,and so it goes.

But I remembered that engraving pattern as soon as I saw this thread.
I've been an engraver for just 50yrs now and some things just stay with you for some reason.

That's all I have to add to the discussion,,other than I too would never have left that 458 behind in that shop!

.275 member

Reged: 25/03/17
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: 2152hq]
      #319817 - 13/09/18 12:20 PM

Hmmm looks similar in a lot of ways to some guns my dad had built in the 70s. Maker was Flaigs I think. I still have the 458, will look at it tomorrow.

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop [Re: 008]
      #319904 - 18/09/18 04:46 AM

Thanks all for your reply.

I finally contacted R.C.Pace. Nope, not them.

However, I think I solved the mystery of how this rifle came to be. Someone, (likely R.C.P.) "assembled" this rifle in the late 1960's to early 1970's through components from Herters in Waseca, Minn., or they special ordered the rifle direct from Herters with its current configuration. A 1966 Herters catalog shows all the components, and information contained in the catalog indicates that they offer services to build complete rifles.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4432

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com