Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Travel

Pages: 1
Ripp
.500 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway...
      #319823 - 13/09/18 10:23 PM

Went back to see friends a couple weeks ago in Alaska..used up my air miles and took the family along...

Some photos are not great quality but were all taken with my cell phone..IF you click on the picture it will blow it up for a larger view..FYI

First stop was Riversong Lodge NW of Anchorage about 25-30 minutes by float plane ..

20180827_175525 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180827_172103 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180827_175543 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

After unpacking and getting things taken care of at the Lodge it was off to look for silver salmon..the crew was quite successful...

20180831_060247 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180828_225141 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180829_055603 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180829_163005 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Spent a couple of mornings getting up early and looking for moose with the Lodge owner..the mornings were spectacular..

20180829_074525 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180829_163311 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

We flew from Anchorage to King Salmon the following day..to do more fishing and to take my family to Katmai Park..home of the brown bears, water falls, etc...

One the first morning we were there this guy was enjoying berries outside our cabin..
20180901_093717 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Our walk down the path headed to the falls at Katmai Park...
20180903_092314 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

At the Falls... was actually there in June as well however the bears were not there yet..they were this time..
20180903_093939 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180903_090504 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Apparently this one come home late last night ..
20180906_093343 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180902_214734 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180903_175937 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180903_085425 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

AND, caught more salmon at King Salmon Lodge..
FB_IMG_1535889359571 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Family is really, really, what its all about..
20180903_085842 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180902_163710 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway... [Re: Ripp]
      #319825 - 13/09/18 11:02 PM

Good looking mob you have there Ripp!
Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

.275 member

Reged: 25/03/17
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway... [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #319826 - 13/09/18 11:33 PM

What a great adventure the little ones!

93x64mm
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway... [Re: 008]
      #319834 - 14/09/18 06:06 AM

Ripp, the family must have had a great time, the last photo mate is a corker - but I think Dad had the best time of all because they were all there to enjoy the whole experience!
Glad to see you getting a bit of time off & spending it with the family again.
We're all envious, beautiful country to say the least mate
Well done
93x64mm

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway... [Re: 008]
      #319845 - 14/09/18 08:02 PM

Quote:

The little ones sometimes remember trips such as this for their whole lives.

Ripp.

when viewing the bears at the falls, how close are you? Is the viewing out in the open, or from inside some sort of box hide?

What's the chance of bumping into a bear coming to and fro? Or do the bears run away from the smell and sight of humans?

One day I would hope to visit that place myself.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (14/09/18 09:39 PM)

Ripp
.500 member

Re: Alaska--Family Fishing Getaway... [Re: NitroX]
      #319848 - 14/09/18 10:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The little ones sometimes remember trips such as this for their whole lives.

Ripp.

when viewing the bears at the falls, how close are you? Is the viewing out in the open, or from inside some sort of box hide?

What's the chance of bumping into a bear coming to and fro? Or do the bears run away from the smell and sight of humans?

One day I would hope to visit that place myself.

There are "viewing" platforms --heavy wood open air platforms used along with heavy reinforced metal gates..all are very well constructed ...some with gates that lock automatically behind you..there are a series of gates, so if a bear somehow got onto the platform you can get to the next door and close it..however the way the gates are set up, would be very difficult or nearly impossible for that happen...

While we were on the platform we had 2 bears walk directly below it --about 20 feet from the bear..above it..on the first gates near the bear trails, the gates are chewed and beaten by the bears..can see the teeth and claw marks..

When you first arrive you MUST attend a "orientation" --small talk to what to do and not to do if/when you encounter a bear..once the 10 minute class is done you get a pin to place on your outside jacket to show you have attended it..the rangers are very strict regarding anyone walking around with food or even a Gatorade..you can NOT do it..if you do you will be scolded and or fined for doing so..the rangers do an excellent job of keeping the "city folk" in line as people who do not spend a lot of time in the wild do really really stupid things..

Its an incredible area..very very volcanic, hence the nearby area called "Valley of 10,000 Smokes" ...lots of volcanoes still steaming in the area..on a private charter the pilot flew over several of those --have actually landed with a float plane in the caldera of a volcano.. great experience...

Chance of running into a bear while walking around depends on the time of year..I was there for the Trout Opening season in June..only a couple of bears around, however the one that come out behind our camera guy was "very" close..camera guy didn't know it until I advised him he should probably look behind him..I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants..

IF you are there in July and August, there are a LOT of bears ..I was very cautious walking around with my little ones.. make a lot of noise and stayed just a bit ahead ....looking/scouting for their presence.. after we left the platform area we saw one in the river shortly after eating fish(salmon)..a little bit past that there were 3 more in the river --nearby..and another in the lake eating..

Agree, think the little ones will remember the trip for a very long time..while growing up my family had very modest finances..however we did go on one trip my entire time on the family farm..I still remember that trip 49 years ago..however my son is already pressuring me to take him back next year for the "King salmon" seasonally run...which occurs normally in late June-mid July... so he apparently has plans of more memories..

--------------------

Ripp
.500 member

#319855 - 14/09/18 10:51 PM

More info on Katmai National Park..

https://www.nps.gov/katm/index.htm

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#319856 - 15/09/18 12:26 AM

Never had even one "overnight" family trip when growing up. I believe there was a weekend crabbing stayover when I was still a baby. But remember day trips crabbing on the glf shores at Port Param, day trips to the Adelaide Hills, Dad shooting pesty birds raidin gour orchards and sheltering in an Aboriginal gum tree shelter one rainstorm. One does remember such things for life. Maybe not if the kid has too many experiences?

Interesting to compare your place Ripp with the bear reserve in Romania. A reserve where the ranger/game keeper told me there was about 80 brown bears. When we arrived, the ranger and guide just set off at a fast pace along the forest track at the front, and my wife, slow walker was left far behind at the back. TRhe group was spread out quite long. The destination was a hide, which we entered quietly. There were already bears in the 'feeding' area. Where they regularly put pig skin out for the bears to eat. Some larger cubs, a sow, later some smaller cubs, another sow, then a boar, then a much large boar brown bear. Interesting to watch the "interaction" especially when the bigger boy arrived at the end and watch the others all scatter and run for their lives. One sow remained, but did get a cuff one time from the grumpy old boy.

Are these brown bears wild? The guide claimed they are. But there is a rehabilitation reserve not far away. And the guide did exclaim at one time, "that is a wild bear" when one walked in. Which might have given the game away a bit. The ranger did tell me privately when we had a chat, that a hunting season would probably be declared in 2018 or 2019, and there was about thirty bears too many in the reserve, ie 50 not 80.

BUT there are about 6000 brown bears in Romanaia. The mountain above Kronstadt (I foreget the Romanian name?) had about 80- brown bears living on it. They used to enter the town. We had a good walk aprund the top of the peak. But the bears were all relocated a few years earlier.

Rioo, thanks for your reply. Interesting to see the difference where there is a duty of care approach to where there is a anything goes approach. We didn't have any issues, and doubt they do 99% of the time, but the 1% is the exception in such circumstances.

I do find bears very interesting. Big bastard of beasts with unpleasant personalities from my very limited experience.

Good fishing in your place too. And an exotic outback location.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.500 member

#319890 - 17/09/18 01:49 PM

Quote:

Never had even one "overnight" family trip when growing up. I believe there was a weekend crabbing stayover when I was still a baby. But remember day trips crabbing on the glf shores at Port Param, day trips to the Adelaide Hills, Dad shooting pesty birds raidin gour orchards and sheltering in an Aboriginal gum tree shelter one rainstorm. One does remember such things for life. Maybe not if the kid has too many experiences?

Interesting to compare your place Ripp with the bear reserve in Romania. A reserve where the ranger/game keeper told me there was about 80 brown bears. When we arrived, the ranger and guide just set off at a fast pace along the forest track at the front, and my wife, slow walker was left far behind at the back. TRhe group was spread out quite long. The destination was a hide, which we entered quietly. There were already bears in the 'feeding' area. Where they regularly put pig skin out for the bears to eat. Some larger cubs, a sow, later some smaller cubs, another sow, then a boar, then a much large boar brown bear. Interesting to watch the "interaction" especially when the bigger boy arrived at the end and watch the others all scatter and run for their lives. One sow remained, but did get a cuff one time from the grumpy old boy.

Are these brown bears wild? The guide claimed they are. But there is a rehabilitation reserve not far away. And the guide did exclaim at one time, "that is a wild bear" when one walked in. Which might have given the game away a bit. The ranger did tell me privately when we had a chat, that a hunting season would probably be declared in 2018 or 2019, and there was about thirty bears too many in the reserve, ie 50 not 80.

BUT there are about 6000 brown bears in Romanaia. The mountain above Kronstadt (I foreget the Romanian name?) had about 80- brown bears living on it. They used to enter the town. We had a good walk aprund the top of the peak. But the bears were all relocated a few years earlier.

Rioo, thanks for your reply. Interesting to see the difference where there is a duty of care approach to where there is a anything goes approach. We didn't have any issues, and doubt they do 99% of the time, but the 1% is the exception in such circumstances.

I do find bears very interesting. Big bastard of beasts with unpleasant personalities from my very limited experience.

Good fishing in your place too. And an exotic outback location.

-------------

Hey John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner..been out chasing the elk around with my bow..actually trying to help a friend of mine get his first elk with a bow..was a great weekend..lots of elk, numerous opportunities, he just could not close the deal..

YES, the bears are wild..however they have become somewhat habituated to humans within reason..lots of fisherman around most of the summer..there hasn't been a bear/human incident for a number of years..they are NOT fed and it is strictly forbidden to feed any bear..in fact they have food storage areas..you are not permitted to walk around with food in your pack..the bears survive entirely on their own..catching salmon, killing moose, caribou, eating berries, etc..anything to get them heavy enough for hibernation.

According to what I found, there are about 2200 brown bears in Katmai National Park..and an estimated 30,000 brown bears in Alaska..it is said bears outnumber people on the Alaska Peninsula..with about 1400 harvested annually hunting..

In 2001 I hunted one in this general area..was fortunate enough to get a 9 ft squared bear brown bear...while that is big, it is not huge..some have been killed over 10ft..and trust me, a 10 foot plus bear is huge ..

I have, (knock on wood), never had an issue yet with griz or brown bear..and have lived in Montana almost 30 years..I am in the woods a lot..BUT, it only takes one..the griz here in Montana actually worry me more than the bears in Alaska as the ones in Alaska have been hunted continually. In Montana its been a very long time since there was a season, although they are trying to get one going. It has been passed with Wyoming being the first state to have a season. True to form however, the greenies have sued, so the season is now on hold once again.. science and numbers don't matter to them, they have an agenda and as such, will sue whether there is a legit reason or not..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#319891 - 17/09/18 06:59 PM

Thanks. My comments about "wild" bears was limited to that Romanian reserve. Obviously the Alaskans bears are wild. The Romanians also were, but some were obviously used to being fed "pig skins". They claimed they did not feed any actual meat, saying the bears had to hunt for that themselves.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.500 member

#319895 - 17/09/18 10:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks. My comments about "wild" bears was limited to that Romanian reserve. Obviously the Alaskans bears are wild. The Romanians also were, but some were obviously used to being fed "pig skins". They claimed they did not feed any actual meat, saying the bears had to hunt for that themselves.

Back in the day- 1960's and early 70's, bears were allowed to eat in the local garbage pits, etc near and around Yellowstone National Park..there were a few incidents with humans as bears were relating humans with food, so the National Park Service changed its policy. Tourists were no longer allowed to offer food to bears, or eat in the garbage dumps..which resulted in numerous bears meeting their demise..once those bears were gone along with their off-spring, most of the issues of the past no longer happen.

Many tourists, who have only had any animal experience from youtube, etc.. do really stupid things every year which ultimately endanger the lives of not only themselves but also the animal they are trying to get 10 feet from for a photo...its unbelievable..

Just yesterday some moron put his head in Old Faithful Geyser.. WTF??? was in the news yesterday..
http://www.kulr8.com/story/39099910/caught-on-camera-man-steps-into-old-faithful-as-tourists-yell

Bull elk were sparring yesterday as it is mating season (Rut)..tourists got attacked by a bull elk as well..despite being warned by others.. Stupid is as stupid does...

Couple years ago, another village idiot when off of the boardwalk, keep in mind there are signs everywhere telling you NOT to do so..he did, fell into a boiling hot pot..water in those is around 270 degree...his name is now "Stew".. nothing left of him..

The areas around here are still really special IMHO, nature at its finest..or at least as much as is can be in today's over populated world..

--------------------

Ripp
.500 member

#319915 - 18/09/18 10:24 PM

Speaking of bears..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/17/wyoming-hunting-guide-fatally-mauled-by-grizzly-bears.html

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com