Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Russell Moccasin Experiences

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies


*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
5thGenTexan
.224 member


Reged: 23/07/16
Posts: 2
Loc: Texas
Russell Moccasin Experiences
      #318576 - 30/07/18 07:24 AM

Well, after several years of quietly observing from the sidelines of the forums, here is my first post.

I was hoping that anyone who has had any experience with Russell Moccasins could share that with me (pictures of course are always welcomed and encouraged too, still trying to figure out color combos). I have been specifically looking at boots within their "PH" line. I like that the boots are custom made to your foot measurements as one of my feet is slightly different in shape than the other. I also got to speak with one of their team members at the Dallas Safari show back in January and they seemed very professional and their products that I handled appeared top-notch. On top of this, they also sound like they would fit well for hunting in Texas where I live. I think I have narrowed it down to maybe the PH, the PH II, or Joe's PH, but I would just like to get some people's opinions and experiences before I try and drop the money on some shoes like these. Many thanks!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.500 member


Reged: 19/02/07
Posts: 10157
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: 5thGenTexan]
      #318582 - 30/07/18 10:04 AM

Quote:

Well, after several years of quietly observing from the sidelines of the forums, here is my first post.

I was hoping that anyone who has had any experience with Russell Moccasins could share that with me (pictures of course are always welcomed and encouraged too, still trying to figure out color combos). I have been specifically looking at boots within their "PH" line. I like that the boots are custom made to your foot measurements as one of my feet is slightly different in shape than the other. I also got to speak with one of their team members at the Dallas Safari show back in January and they seemed very professional and their products that I handled appeared top-notch. On top of this, they also sound like they would fit well for hunting in Texas where I live. I think I have narrowed it down to maybe the PH, the PH II, or Joe's PH, but I would just like to get some people's opinions and experiences before I try and drop the money on some shoes like these. Many thanks!




Bought a pair at the SCI show in Reno years ago..PH model --2008..wore them on a 21 day hunt in Zimbabwe..on day 5 had to get some glue from one of the guys there and re-glue my sole back on my right foot..had to reapply several times to that boot during the 21 days hunt.on day 8 the left foot started coming off as well...sent them back and they redid them for me..

Used them last year in Cameroon.-2017...they are very good as to being quiet..but really suggest a custom orthotic..for my feet at least, what they come with suck..

Sorry, probably not what you probably wanted to hear..and perhaps mine was a fluke.. but for me, will not be buying another pair..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member


Reged: 25/09/13
Posts: 582
Loc: Canada
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Ripp]
      #318589 - 30/07/18 11:31 AM

I got a pair of PH II with crepe soles..... they were comfortable and quiet. I did use the Birkenstock size 47 half sole orthotic inserts and for a 10 day hunt they held up. After I got home I put them on a shelf and about 6 months later took them down and looked at them. I found a nasty African thorn stuck in the sole but was pleased to note that it did not stick through the sole and skewer me....... The boots were very comfortable but I must complain that in the heel area, there is a huge gap between left and right side of the shoe, with a bunch of thread stretching between both sides attempting to pull the sides together at the heel area. So at each heel, there is notning but a spider web of thread holding theae babies together... For near $400 USD, I would have expected far far better...... As a side note, my PH in Namibia looked at my boots, politely asked: “Russels?”, and when I said yes, he just politely said, “ yes I thought, so”, and said nothing more.....

Edited by Postman (30/07/18 11:33 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.375 member


Reged: 06/01/17
Posts: 695
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Postman]
      #318595 - 30/07/18 01:03 PM

These are my choice these days for an everyday, light duty, ultimately comfortable shoe (not for 'the bush')- basically a 'deck shoe', or rubber and canvas moccasin. Just got a pair two days ago. As always, they fit like a glove right out of the box.

'Back in the day' they were all hand made at a small factory in Anaheim, CA, by the Van Doren family. They had company stores around Southern Cal. and would make them to a pattern drawn around your own foot for $2 extra. They'd also do 'customs' of any fabric that they had in house or that a customer brought in (if at all practical for a shoe). Old Levi's and blue suede were among my favorites.

Now they're made 'elsewhere' and in many styles, but the 'vintage' slip ons still feel like the old ones.



--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rell
.375 member


Reged: 03/12/04
Posts: 617
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #318632 - 31/07/18 04:29 AM

I have a pair of PHs and two pairs of mountain hikers. Love them. First pair was good but second pair was great after I gave feedback to the boot fitter.

I wore the PH for a combined 70 days in Cameron, Mozambique and RSA before I had an issue. Sent them back and the repaired for free.

Always bring two pairs of boots on a serious hunt!

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.500 member


Reged: 19/02/07
Posts: 10157
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Rell]
      #318652 - 31/07/18 11:45 AM

Quote:

I have a pair of PHs and two pairs of mountain hikers. Love them. First pair was good but second pair was great after I gave feedback to the boot fitter.

I wore the PH for a combined 70 days in Cameron, Mozambique and RSA before I had an issue. Sent them back and the repaired for free.

Always bring two pairs of boots on a serious hunt!




I did have two pair thankfully..BUT, for $400+ dollars, seriously, you shouldn't have to..

Actually in most I have 3--2 for hunting and one for lounging around camp..

Each to their own, but as mentioned in a previous post, my PH as well had seen them fail on hunting trips before mine..he too was less than impressed...

IMHO, there are better options/products out there..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (31/07/18 10:44 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MagnumHunter
.275 member


Reged: 06/07/04
Posts: 52
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Ripp]
      #318685 - 01/08/18 10:49 AM

I have a pair of the regular Safari boots, Art Carters and PH IIs. Haven't had problems with any of the three. All fit well and are comfortable all day long. Generally carry the Safaris or the PHs along on a hunt with a pair of Courtney Safari boots and alternate. I like mine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
5thGenTexan
.224 member


Reged: 23/07/16
Posts: 2
Loc: Texas
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: Postman]
      #319583 - 03/09/18 01:00 PM

Quote:

I got a pair of PH II with crepe soles..... they were comfortable and quiet. I did use the Birkenstock size 47 half sole orthotic inserts and for a 10 day hunt they held up. After I got home I put them on a shelf and about 6 months later took them down and looked at them. I found a nasty African thorn stuck in the sole but was pleased to note that it did not stick through the sole and skewer me....... The boots were very comfortable but I must complain that in the heel area, there is a huge gap between left and right side of the shoe, with a bunch of thread stretching between both sides attempting to pull the sides together at the heel area. So at each heel, there is notning but a spider web of thread holding theae babies together... For near $400 USD, I would have expected far far better...... As a side note, my PH in Namibia looked at my boots, politely asked: “Russels?”, and when I said yes, he just politely said, “ yes I thought, so”, and said nothing more.....




If it's not an inconvenience, would you happen to have a photo of what you mean by "spider web of thread" at the heel? I guess I am a little confused by what you mean.

Everyone, thanks for your responses. Seems to be pretty similar to my other research that I have done so far: a mix of good and bad reviews. Do any of you have any good recommendations for other boots to look at?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.416 member


Reged: 01/05/04
Posts: 4850
Loc: Alleghany County, Virginia, US...
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: 5thGenTexan]
      #319590 - 03/09/18 09:59 PM

The Merrell MOAB 2.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.



Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.500 member


Reged: 19/02/07
Posts: 10157
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: 5thGenTexan]
      #319614 - 04/09/18 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I got a pair of PH II with crepe soles..... they were comfortable and quiet. I did use the Birkenstock size 47 half sole orthotic inserts and for a 10 day hunt they held up. After I got home I put them on a shelf and about 6 months later took them down and looked at them. I found a nasty African thorn stuck in the sole but was pleased to note that it did not stick through the sole and skewer me....... The boots were very comfortable but I must complain that in the heel area, there is a huge gap between left and right side of the shoe, with a bunch of thread stretching between both sides attempting to pull the sides together at the heel area. So at each heel, there is notning but a spider web of thread holding theae babies together... For near $400 USD, I would have expected far far better...... As a side note, my PH in Namibia looked at my boots, politely asked: “Russels?”, and when I said yes, he just politely said, “ yes I thought, so”, and said nothing more.....




If it's not an inconvenience, would you happen to have a photo of what you mean by "spider web of thread" at the heel? I guess I am a little confused by what you mean.

Everyone, thanks for your responses. Seems to be pretty similar to my other research that I have done so far: a mix of good and bad reviews. Do any of you have any good recommendations for other boots to look at?




The late PH Ian Gibson always wore tennis shoes..every day I hunted with him that's all I ever saw him wear..fact is one day while we took a nap in the bush, I snuck over and ties his laces together..the trackers found that quite amusing..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 27879
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences [Re: 5thGenTexan]
      #319635 - 06/09/18 06:20 PM

Quote:


Do any of you have any good recommendations for other boots to look at?




Never used Russell's and reading the responses never will.

"Everyone" nowadays seems to sell their soul for the highest amount to be able to buy Courtney boots. Great theme and soemtimes unusal leather. I think they were great when they had crap rubber tyre soles and could be bought for $25 in Bulawayo at the factory door. But for PLUS US$300 to $600 or GBP 350 plus no way. Except as a gimmick. They do have better soles now, but lack the construction of a decent boot in my opinion.

I now almost always use one of my two pairs of Scarpas. One is supposedly lighter than the other. The heavier pair I use in mountains and wetter, colder environments. They don't have soft soles though. But I have worn them anywhere from safari in Africa, buffalo hunting in the Top End of Australia, sambar hunting in the Victorian Alps, even for a tourist trip to Transylvania, where they were worn every day for three weeks. Why there? i had been experiencing pain in my right foot's sole for over two or three years. So started wearing boots with good support and by the end of the trip, the problem was solved. But are very well made and mould the foot well. One realises when boots are crap, when one's feet or foot hurts at the end of the day. Not a problem with Scarpas.

Actually back to Courtney's on my first safari, the PH had the new Courtney's boots, they were newish back in 1994. On one day where we had to walk a long long way, he had blisters at the end of the day, I didn't.

I have other boots. But usually take a pair of my Rossi work boots as the 'second' pair of boots on a trip. South Australian made and very popular here. But the opposite to Scarpas. Still well made, but slip on boots with very little support, flat soles. One reason I probably had pain in one foot's sole. Not very good for long rough country hikes or hunting, especially if rocky. But far better than some crap tennis shoes. I remember wearing a set of tennis style shoes on a Flinders Ranges mountain goat hunt, them wearing out the soles in a single day's hunting on the rocky slopes.

I used to have no problem wearing such as these on an African safari, ie the Rossi's (or the similar Blundstones) and being relatively soft soled relatively quiet for hunting. I remember the PH examining them thinking they would be heavy noisy soled boots, but he was surprised. Nowadays, with older feet, I desire much better support.

Also have good Rossi boots made to a better 'hiking' standard, and other boots. The Scarpas are what I turn to for serious use, and the Rossi work boots as a "camp" boot and emergency use.

When younger, and not that long ago, I sometimes used to hunt barefoot ... ouch!

I think your main issue is needing to find boots that fit your feet. And from your comments may need to be able to be custom made or partly custom made.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1



Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 425
Calendar Event: 30/07/18

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com

Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5


Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact


Copyright 2003 to 2011 - all rights reserved