Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale.
      #319383 - 27/08/18 08:17 PM

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101087846

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #319384 - 27/08/18 08:31 PM

Thank you for sharing, Waidsmannsheil.
I have never seen yet such a rear scope mount coupled to what looks like a 'normal' claw front scope mount; was it a model specifically developed by Fraser in Edinburg?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Louis]
      #319389 - 27/08/18 11:09 PM

Lovely photos.

Notice it has the set back front sight.

Otherwise, that's appointed just the same as my M1910 with the exception of scope and mount. Mine's a Gerard with claws front and rear.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #319394 - 28/08/18 05:08 AM

"
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Verified Seller
Seller:
Vintage Doubles
Company:
Vintage Doubles
First Name:
Kirby
Last Name:
Hoyt
State:
Washington
Zip:
United States
Phone:
(509) 665-7675
Fax:
(509) 665-7435
Platinum Seller
Number of Active Listings:
Total Number of Listings:
Seller:
FFL Dealer
Return Policy:
3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
5 day inspection, satisfaction guarantee
Payment Types Accepted:
Visa, Master Card
Mannlicher Schenauer 1903 British built take down in the classic 6.5x 54 MS with original Daniel Fraser Scope on claw mounts

Description:
Drillings, Double Rifles, and Rifles - This fine take down rifle has clear vintage optics with claw mounts that are engraved "Daniel Fraser Edinburgh." The rifle carries full British proofs. Note the really cool inlet pop up peep sight and pistol grip storage of the extra front sight!

The bore has sharp rifling with just a little gray between the lands. *** Note: To see this gun with high resolution photos and a zoom-in feature, go to the vintagedoubles main site and search for the gun ID: 3655 or browse the main site to see our full gun collection.

Price: $2,800.00

Curio/Relic: Yes
Manufacturer: Mannlicher Schenauer 1903 British built take down in the classic 6.5x 54 MS with original Daniel Fraser Scope on claw mounts
Model: 1903
Serial Number: 6348
Caliber: 6.5x54MS "

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: lancaster]
      #319400 - 28/08/18 11:10 AM

Pop up peep sight or pop up diopter sight? I suspect that it is a diopter to sharpen focus on the iron sights.

Nice rifle though.

What would fit in the grip cap?

Vlad

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Vladymere]
      #319410 - 28/08/18 07:08 PM

Quote:

Pop up peep sight or pop up diopter sight? I suspect that it is a diopter to sharpen focus on the iron sights.

Nice rifle though.

What would fit in the grip cap?

Vlad

First, the listing refers to the takedown as being 'British built'. Though it has British proofs (as does mine, in addition to Austrian), these takedown MS were built as such at the Steyr factory in Austria. The flip up sight, though perhaps a diopter, is referred to in the 1939 Stoeger (U.S.) Catalog (third 'cost option' from end of the list) as a "special folding peep sight" and added $12.00 to the cost:

They were also available on Mauser built rifles for $20:

The grip cap storage (not listed in Stoeger with the options) was for extra sight beads, which mine still contains. There are different bead diameters.

--------------------

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #319414 - 29/08/18 02:25 AM

Thank you Rothhammer1.

Vlad

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Vladymere]
      #319425 - 29/08/18 10:54 AM

Quote:

Thank you Rothhammer1.

Vlad

No problem - glad to share!

--------------------

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
      #319426 - 29/08/18 11:30 AM

Regarding these rear peep or diopter sights. Is the bolt cocking piece prone to catching on it when pushing the bolt closed. Or is this expected to be a one shot opportunity. Clearance must be pretty slim. Somebody with experience I would like to be enlightened, they are lovely rifles.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #319435 - 29/08/18 08:11 PM

Quote:

Regarding these rear peep or diopter sights. Is the bolt cocking piece prone to catching on it when pushing the bolt closed. Or is this expected to be a one shot opportunity. Clearance must be pretty slim. Somebody with experience I would like to be enlightened, they are lovely rifles.

It slides right over it on opening and on closing. That 'hump' shape on the top (front, when open) of the peep sight makes a nice little cam of sorts.

It's very easy to work with the right thumb while maintaining hand position. It clicks shut neatly and opens with a slight rightward shift of that little button, allowing it to spring forward. Once open, it will reset itself as you work the bolt unless you press the sight closed.

When I've used the peep while target shooting (taking my time), I often close it, then work the bolt, but only to preserve the finish.

'Prewar' Mannlicher Schönauer rifles were made like fine watches. The bolt and magazine are smoother than grease on hot glass. The single trigger on the takedown model is an adjustable 'military pull' two stage. Doubles can be set to a 'hair'.

prairie_ghost
.300 member

#319440 - 29/08/18 10:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I only asked due to the picture in the Stoeger catalog the hump is not in contact with any part of the bolt and cocking piece in contact with the sight. Artists rendition maybe.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: Louis]
      #319445 - 30/08/18 07:15 AM

No problems Louis, I like the British Mannlichers and know that others do as well. The rear sight base is interesting as it has that small screw as well as the lever. I assume that the knurled screw is to lock the lever in position.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#319457 - 30/08/18 04:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I only asked due to the picture in the Stoeger catalog the hump is not in contact with any part of the bolt and cocking piece in contact with the sight. Artists rendition maybe.

It contacts firing pin nut and cocking piece (rearward portion of bolt assembly) throughout its operation, but does not bind or 'catch'.

When the peep is open and the bolt is operated rearward, the firing pin retaining nut, then the cocking piece make contact with the 'hump' on the peep as the bolt is pushed back against its spring tension. They slide over one another very smoothly. The cam design of that 'hump' precludes binding.

On return, again no binding. As the bolt is driven home, the spring tension pushes the 'peep' back to its upright position, ready to use.

I have just had mine 'in hand' to verify this.

The image of the bolt open over the 'peep sight' is accurate and shows the bolt at full rearward extension. The 'hump' atop the peep sight is in direct contact with the cocking piece.

Imagine that bolt being pushed forward; as it slides forward along the gradually ramped side of the 'hump', it pushes the sight downward. As the cocking piece comes clear of the hump altogether, the sight springs upward against the 'tab' that extends downward fore of the nut. When clear of that, the hump encounters the firing pin nut itself, when clear of that, it is free to return to its upward position. Unless done very s l o w l y, this entire operation is quite smooth and nothing 'binds'.

It takes a little more effort to open the bolt against the peep than with the sight closed, but remember, these 'prewar' MS bolts operate so smoothly that they will close, seat fully and lock tightly by merely lowering the stock with trigger pulled.

The cocking piece

prairie_ghost
.300 member

#319469 - 30/08/18 11:34 PM

Thanks for the explanation, well written. Wish I had one of these rifles for stalking the dark timber.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#319499 - 31/08/18 08:19 AM

Quote:

Wish I had one of these rifles for stalking the dark timber.

Stalking is precisely what the 'sporting' Mannlicher Schönauer was designed for.

The stock geometry; light, svelt forend, drop of comb and cast off of stock at the butt make for instant sight acquisition through the iron sights when quickly brought to the shoulder ('snap shooting').

This geometry differs from what is now typical a century later.

Use of scope, especially as they tend to be mounted high to clear the bolt handle (early MS really weren't designed for scope use), can be a bit awkward which is what inspired the design of comb risers such as the one on Dorleac's fine example shown on a concurrent thread. Scope mounts for MS tend to be 'see through' so there is an unobstructed view of the iron sights for 'snap shooting', even with scope mounted. Claw mounts allow for quick removal of scope and instant 'return to zero' when replaced.

Not long after MS production resumed in the 1950s, the 'Monte Carlo' style stocks were offered to facilitate scope use.

For a description of MS stock 'cast off', click this link and scroll down to the article,"Cast in Mannlicher-Schoenauer Stocks": MS Cast Off

--------------------

prairie_ghost
.300 member

#319501 - 31/08/18 01:07 PM

Rothhammer, thanks for the link. I stock-restock all my own rifles and lo and behold, almost identical to the MS dimensions regarding cast, comb a little higher due to old eyes and scope use. Comes up like a shotgun. Perfect for offhand snap shooting.

deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
      #319506 - 31/08/18 04:15 PM

On the rear peepsight, (I have one on my takedown) the flat knurled blade at the top may be pulled up to adjust for range.
Apologies if you guys knew this, just saying for those who don’t know.
The bolt does indeed slide over, pushing the peepsight down, then allowing it to spring back into position as it’s being cycled, even when the range blade is pulled up for use.

My M1903 takedown is away at the gunsmith for a while being rebarrelled .. a new Krieger going on and retaining the chambering at 6.5x54 MSch, so kept as a M1903 but with renewed accuracy lasting well beyond my lifetime.

However, Sad to say, the trigger on mine is not sharp and smooth. It’s terrible!
I’m hoping the gunsmith can do something to improve it.
But the bolt action and magazine are truly slick. Smoooooth as silk.

I just bought a very cheap M1903 MSch stutzen. It’s had a nasty scope sidemount fitted to it, with a section of stock cut away to allow the mount to fit. The mount is removed, leaving four horrible tapped holes in the side of the action, and the stock fairly neatly repaired, but visibly so.
I’ll progressively try to improve its appearance, .. But, it’s a shooter! So, I’ll have fun with it.
Cheers.

Edited by deeangeo (31/08/18 04:38 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: deeangeo]
      #319508 - 31/08/18 05:03 PM

Quote:

On the rear peepsight, (I have one on my takedown) the flat knurled blade at the top may be pulled up to adjust for range.
Apologies if you guys knew this, just saying for those who don’t know.
The bolt does indeed slide over, pushing the peepsight down, then allowing it to spring back into position as it’s being cycled, even when the range blade is pulled up for use.

I did neglect to mention that detail. Thank you for the addendum.

You'll share updates on your 'cheap' M1903?

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

#319531 - 01/09/18 02:59 PM

Quote:

You'll share updates on your 'cheap' M1903?

I’ll open a different thread on this in due course Rothhammer1, it’s a 1936 proofed stutzen all completely stripped down at present. I need to work out how to post pics on this site though.
Cheers, d

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A nice British retailed Mannlicher Schoenauer for sale. [Re: deeangeo]
      #319539 - 01/09/18 06:04 PM

Quote:

I’ll open a different thread on this in due course Rothhammer1, it’s a 1936 proofed stutzen all completely stripped down at present. I need to work out how to post pics on this site though.
Cheers, d

I'll look forward to it.

To post photos, this works: Post Photos to NE

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

#319553 - 02/09/18 04:34 AM

Cheers Rothhammer thanks for your photo post....I’ll see if I can get pics on the new thread in due course.

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5522

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com