Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Unusual old Remington

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Unusual old Remington
      #319521 - 01/09/18 07:30 AM

In the interest of posting something different I thought you might enjoy seeing my old Remington 14 1/2. You may be familiar with the old Remington pump action model 14 rifle that was chambered in a number of rifle cartridges like the 25, 30, 32 and 35 remington. Many people don't know that remington wanted a piece of the pistol cartridge market enjoyed by winchester with their 1892 lever action rifle. So remington modified the model 14 to take the rimmed 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges. This one was made in 1914 and holds 11 44-40 cartridges in the tubular magazine.

In my next post I will share some interesting history of this particular rifle.

[image]

[/image]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cordite
.333 member

Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: cordite]
      #319522 - 01/09/18 07:44 AM

In 1915 the UK could see that war was on the horizon. As they tried to build up their army they found themselves facing an acute shortage of firearms. The army had priority so other branches of service were particularly hard hit. On April 1, 1915 the UK placed an order with Remington for 4000 rifles for the Royal Navy Air Service. The Royal Navy Air Service was arming small craft for defense of the coast.

Canadian inspectors came to the Remington plant to select the rifles and marked those selected with the DCP proofmark. The DCP proofmark is made up of crossed flags a crown and the letters DCP standing for Dominion of Canada Proof. This rifle has this proofmark.

cordite
.333 member

#319523 - 01/09/18 07:54 AM

It is neat to think of this rifle in a small boat patrolling the English coast during WW1. Perhaps it was used to shoot at a landmine or maybe someone took a few shots at one of the ace German pilots as they flew over the channel.

After the war they were surplused and ended up all over the world with most going to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA.

I have owned this one for many years and it is a favorite to take to the range. The action is smooth and with the Lyman peep sight it is quite accurate.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #319535 - 01/09/18 03:33 PM

Yes love them, had about 8 or more, still have 3-4 & just traded off 2 & 1 M14 one a NSW Gaol gun & the other a Carbine !

I’m making up a 44mag on a parts rifle, was thinking 444 or 45Colt but made it easy on my self .

Your one looks nice, mine are mostly tack drivers same as my M25s in 32/20 & 25/20 !

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: Sarg]
      #319541 - 01/09/18 09:29 PM

I can confirm the story about the British Royal Navy using these rifles, and also Winchesters, in 44-40. The technique was to approach the sea mines, floating just above the surface, about eight feet in diameter with contact fuse 'spikes' sticking out like a porcupine, and aim to hit one of the spikes, which would then detonated the mine. Of course it helped to be close to the mine to hit a spike, whilst bobbing about in a little boat, but not ideal when the mine went off....

This is not a mission I would have been keen to volunteer for!

Of course with our current legislation here in Britain it is forbidden to own slide action rifles (other than rimfire) so I have never handled one, but it looks like a useful rifle.

HB

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: HistoricBore]
      #319542 - 01/09/18 09:41 PM

Terrific rifle Cordite & thanks for the story.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

cordite
.333 member

Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: HistoricBore]
      #319548 - 02/09/18 12:38 AM

Thanks for the additional information about shooting the mines. I have always wondered how they hoped to set them off by shooting at them. Aiming for the detonator makes sense.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #319549 - 02/09/18 01:05 AM

I have a Model 14 in .35 Remington which I disassembled for cleaning. Because I was unfamiliar with the action, I tried to disassemble it as little as possible, but somehow in the process the bolt fell out. Since then, by resorting to several rifle disassembly/assembly books, I have been able to reassemble the rifle, but it refuses to function. No amount of trigger pulling or pressing the bolt release button will release the bolt.

Can anyone recommend a smith who can help me out?

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: xausa]
      #319554 - 02/09/18 05:10 AM

I have fixed a bunch of them, they are quite simple really, the bolt block comes out easy for cleaning ‘ should go back easy also !

What is the problem exactly ?

cordite
.333 member

#319568 - 02/09/18 11:40 PM

I also take mine down for cleaning. After removing the takedown screw the gun breaks apart and the bolt simply falls out. Did you do more disassembly than that?

I would take it down again and make sure the bolt slips easily into the receiver and reassemble. I have read about someone that works on these. I will see if I can find that information.

cordite
.333 member

#319569 - 02/09/18 11:52 PM

Xausa, Google Remington Society of America, go to their forums, select Rifles, post 1898.

You will find all kinds of threads about the model 14 including troubleshooting tips.

There is a fellow there named Jim Peterson from Charlotte NC that works on them. His screen name is nambajim.

cordite
.333 member

#319570 - 03/09/18 12:09 AM

I also have a model 14 in 35 remington. There is just something about these rifles that is very appealing. They are extremely well made and would cost a fortune to make today. Remington's later models like the 760, while touted as improved, are really about being cheaper to manufacture.

[image]

[/image]

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
      #319576 - 03/09/18 05:01 AM

They're pretty common rifles in the northeast. I'm fortunate to have my grandfather's in 32 Remington. He killed a pile of Pennsylvania white tails with it. I located several boxes of vintage ammo as well, but theyre collectable on their own, so I havent fired the gun in many years. I've never heard of one in 44-40, very cool!

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #319577 - 03/09/18 06:05 AM

Quote:

In the interest of posting something different I thought you might enjoy seeing my old Remington 14 1/2. You may be familiar with the old Remington pump action model 14 rifle that was chambered in a number of rifle cartridges like the 25, 30, 32 and 35 remington. Many people don't know that remington wanted a piece of the pistol cartridge market enjoyed by winchester with their 1892 lever action rifle. So remington modified the model 14 to take the rimmed 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges. This one was made in 1914 and holds 11 44-40 cartridges in the tubular magazine.

In my next post I will share some interesting history of this particular rifle.

Would make a very good pig gun in the bigger calibres, be extremely quick to operate; possibly faster than a lever gun!
As to being a mine destroyer - now that would be scary to do!

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #319589 - 03/09/18 09:12 PM

Cordite,

Thanks very much for the tip. I find the web site very useful and it provided directions to an American Rifleman article which I am sure will be a great help.

Bill Warren

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #319628 - 06/09/18 12:32 AM

Quote:

I have a Model 14 in .35 Remington which I disassembled for cleaning. Because I was unfamiliar with the action, I tried to disassemble it as little as possible, but somehow in the process the bolt fell out. Since then, by resorting to several rifle disassembly/assembly books, I have been able to reassemble the rifle, but it refuses to function. No amount of trigger pulling or pressing the bolt release button will release the bolt.

Can anyone recommend a smith who can help me out?

It's possible the 'Ejector Plate' on the left side of the bolt fell out when the bolt was out of the gun. It just drops in place in the bolt and then slides forward maybe 1/16" and is held there by a couple machined tabs engaging cuts in the bolt.

It's captured when the bolt is assembled in the rifle and can't go anywhere. But if you have the bolt out of the rifle,,the plate can easily slip out of it's machined recess and fall away un-noticed.

Simple to see if it's gone,,just take the bolt out and look at the left side of it. The plate is about 2" long, narrow and with a tail on the back end.

If it's missing,,the interface between the bolt latch and the action bar is gone,,meaning you can't unlock the action using the unlocking latch button on the bolt.

Usually, in that case,,dry firing the rifle will allow the action to be opened.
But it sounds like that is not the case here.

The only thing I can think of happening then is that the firing pin was already down/fired position when the bolt was reinstalled in the rifle.

When the bolt is replaced in the recv'r for reassembling,, the firing pin must be cocked.
If it isn't, the bolt will not interface and engage with the action bar (pump action bar).
I'm thinking perhaps that is the problem,,or perhaps one problem.

Remove the bolt and while checking for that Ejector Plate,,also make sure the firing pin is cocked. If it isn't,,do so.
Simply push back on the firing pin sear shoulder at the front bottom edge of the bolt. Push it back into the bolt till it engages the sear and clicks.
Use a small screwdriver or the tip of a small dia punch.
Now the firing pin is cocked.

Here's a schematic of the Mod 14,,,a full schematic including the bolt.
(Numrich and others generally print only the first page and that leaves off the detail pictures of the bolt which isn't helpful at all!)

http://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2093

What I called the 'ejector plate' above,,they have tagged as just 'Ejector',,part #25

The 'Ejector rod' part #26,,is what I always refered to as the actual ejector in these.
Just my part terminology vs theirs I guess.

Numrich used to have the Ejector Plates (Ejector #25) for sale. I had to replace a couple over the years that were missing.
They used to have two different styles listed. One for the Model 14/141. Another for the 14 1/2.
...The Model 14 1/2 uses the exact same #25 part as the Model 14. Nothing special about them.

What Numrich had were a bunch of Ejector Plates that were incomplete as far as their machining status. Probably old stock bought from Remington and Numrich just assumed they were for something different.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: 2152hq]
      #319671 - 07/09/18 08:54 PM

Thanks for the post about these great historic rifles. I often have thought I should have a Remington pump in my collection. Somehow it has always eluded me.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Levallois
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/03
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: CptCurl]
      #319902 - 18/09/18 02:11 AM

There’s also a 14 1/2 carbine. I have one in 38-40. Very very rare.

--------------------
It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.

Levallois
.300 member

Re: Unusual old Remington [Re: Levallois]
      #319907 - 18/09/18 06:23 AM

Remington 14 1/2R 38-40. Now I can’t get the photos to come up. $#@&%!

https://up.picr.de/33851698cc.jpeg

--------------------

Levallois
.300 member

#319911 - 18/09/18 12:08 PM

Still can’t do what I want to do with photos on this site!

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#319912 - 18/09/18 02:32 PM

Yes I had one till just recently in 44/40, yours is nice original one, I see your butt is split, darn near all mine to, wish I could get one or 2 from US but no one will ship now days !

cordite
.333 member

#319917 - 19/09/18 12:02 AM

Very nice! I would love to find a carbine some day.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #319921 - 19/09/18 07:05 AM

Remember one of these in an old ''Guns Australia'' mag ,bloke used it to shoot a Water Buffalo

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com