Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tang safety

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Tang safety
      #319332 - 25/08/18 07:48 PM

If someone out there has a Lee Speed or sporting Enfield with a tang safety, can you tell me if it is attached to the butt socket or to the butt stock wood ??

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Loc: Canada
Re: Tang safety [Re: yumastepside]
      #319334 - 25/08/18 10:15 PM

The tang safety is attached to the wood butt. Neat design. Ron (Canada)

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Tang safety [Re: rgg_7]
      #319337 - 26/08/18 05:21 AM

Thanks Ron,
I am assuming there must be a hole through the butt socket for the safety bar to go through so it can engage the trigger ?

Roger

--------------------

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #319342 - 26/08/18 09:55 AM

Yes the socket is pierced at the top, centre, just below the top wall so that it can slide forward and block motion at the end of the sear nose (g1 on patent diagram). Pretty simple.

The Bar "k" must be carefully fitted, near the forward end of the bottom of the bar "k" with a pin through the action to provide a positive downwards travel stop. This cross pin is "m" on the diagram. Not all rifles I have seen fitted with the tang safety had this pin "m". Now, if the bottom of the hole pierced through the socket wall, and also the bottom of the inlet, are too low and you don't have the pin, the sear can be engaged by the safety bar but both the sear and bar will travel downwards and will at least feel mushy if the trigger is pulled, and be potentially very dangerous. I reckon the pin m is vital, and the non-pinned versions were an early variant. Yes, I have owned and seen rifles with no pin "m" and factory fitted tang safety.

The rear of the bar pivots in the tang body on a small cross-pin, and has two cams for the spring k4 to ride over, which is the main positioning locator for the safety (on/off). Location of the pin and the socket piercing were done via jigs to give repeatable tolerances, but depending on how those tolerances stacked up they sometimes still needed tweaking. Thus I've seen a number of different (original) treatments at the front end of the bar to get them working well. The bottom of some bars are filed into correct engagement, but some bars were grooved to accept the pin as a further positive location feature. Some bars needed filing there to get function, they show no groove but rather a filed-up bottom.

The bar pivots under some spring tension which is meant to be controlled by the machine screw coming up from under the bar about half way along it's length, this is just behind the forward wood screw and can be seen in the diagram. I've found the depth of the inlet for the bar is important, too - especially in rifles not fitted with pin "m". The bar is slotted for that machine screw to allow for bar travel to block or unblock the sear, obviously, and the front wood screw also passes through this slot. The bar is also curved, not flat, this can be seen in the diagrm also and is important.

The wood screws are critical, especially the rearmost, which is crazy short due to wall thickness at the top of the grip being thin from the counter-bore for the stocks through-bolt. Not much thread to hold things fast over the decades. It is important to bore that through-bolt hole as true as possible, and maintain a minimum counterbore for it so that wall thickness and screw length are maximised. Not so easy all the time, as the hole position and angle in sockets varies somewhat. Some factory rear tang screws were forced a bit shorter due to resultant wall thickness variations.....by a full thread or so, and it's these short buggers that always seem to fail. Forethought required here if making one. BSA had the dimensions down to the last beestodger in some places to get them reliable.

Toolmaking 101 to make, in difficulty, but still some time involved in them - and they must be individually fitted to each action and parts appropriately hardened.

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Tang safety [Re: Juglansregia]
      #319344 - 26/08/18 11:01 AM

Thanks mate, sounds pretty complex and precise......still, an interesting exercise.

Roger

--------------------

Edited by yumastepside (26/08/18 11:03 AM)

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
      #319778 - 12/09/18 08:36 AM

Roger,
Do you own that Lee Speed in the top post? I have seen it before. Did it come out of the UK?

JC5

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Tang safety [Re: jc5]
      #319781 - 12/09/18 10:54 AM

Sorry JC, just something I stole off the net to illustrate my question.
Do I own it?.......I wish!

Roger

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #319785 - 12/09/18 01:59 PM

Looks like Tony’s (Marraki) rifle ?

JC I saw a Speeder on the early MKI action to & was meaning to let you know !

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Tang safety [Re: Sarg]
      #319789 - 12/09/18 05:51 PM

Roger---ah, yeah. I'd love to own it too. E671 is not Marraki's. It is still in the UK I believe.

Sarg--yes, details please! The rarest of all Lee-Speeds---the elusive, factory-original, sporting rifle on the Mark I action. Some claim to have seen one in the wild---but like UFOs and Bigfoot , they are hard to pin down. Actually, I managed to solve the mystery recently, and hope to have my hands on one soon. Will definitely be featured in the book.

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Tang safety [Re: jc5]
      #319799 - 13/09/18 12:10 AM

I meant the purple back ground one, as I have seen that in one of his pic ?

I have some photos Jc5 but on my computer & I’m in SA till October late, may have one on my phone I’ll look !

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #319840 - 14/09/18 11:18 AM

A friend made a tang safety for a lee speed rendition.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3631

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com