Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Factory threaded barrel?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Factory threaded barrel?
      #319261 - 23/08/18 05:45 AM

Anyone think that this is a factory threaded barrel? https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.a...ch_Email_Button

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: casper50]
      #319262 - 23/08/18 05:55 AM

I don't know about that, but it just hurts the eyes to look at that buttpad on an MS.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #319296 - 24/08/18 03:01 PM

Rothhammer, you're such old fashioned!
We now live in the XXI century and in this New Age, Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles should now be entitled to have buttpads, sound suppressors, China-made rifle scopes and - why not, bipods; that's called modernity.
Time has come to rejuvenate Grand Dad's M. 1910!

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: Louis]
      #319298 - 24/08/18 06:40 PM

Quote:

Blasphemer!

Surely you're joking, but...

The only 'modernization' ever done (crime committed) to Grand Dad's M1910 was when some fool (myself) decided, decades ago, that quick release sling swivels would be an improvement. Yes, I not only removed the screws (I should have them and the swivels somewhere), but drilled the part where the swivels 'swivel' oversize to accept the 'Uncle Mike's QDs and have since regretted having done so. It was that or bugger the threads to the stock. They could be tapped and reassembled with slightly oversized screws but should have been left all original.

The problem with adding an (ugh!) buttpad to an original 'prewar' MS would be not only damaging its originality, but in losing the ever - so - cool trapdoor buttplate and cleaning rod storage.

Granted, if I had an MS with a previously buggered stock I might appreciate the shock reduction to the shoulder that a pad would provide, but then again - I kind of like it when they bark back. My only handgun is a .44 Ruger Vaquero and I always feed it magnums.

To each their own, of course, but that's just my

--------------------

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: Louis]
      #319311 - 25/08/18 01:36 AM

Quote:

We now live in the XXI century and in this New Age, Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles should now be entitled to have buttpads, sound suppressors, China-made rifle scopes and - why not, bipods; that's called modernity.

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #319318 - 25/08/18 04:17 AM

safe the pics

"serial #6333, 6.5x54 MS, 22 1/2”, likely factory threaded, barrel with a bright excellent bore. The metal surfaces retain about 90-92% original blue, the loss is due to even fading with high edge and contact point wear, the barrel with a number of small flaked spots of loss. The muzzle of the barrel is neatly threaded for a sound moderator, the factory banded sporting front sight ramp was sweated in place appropriately rearward to allow for the threading, as well the nosecap appears to have been purposefully fitted to accommodate the ramp and O.D. of the barrel ahead of it, the blue clearly being original to the gun, this was done when the rifle was new. The races of the action remain bright and there is good straw temper on the cartridge release and on the bolt handle catch with some nice pale fire temper blue remaining on the bolt stop. There is a bit of light surface oxidation on the floorplate and on the bow of the guard, the triggerplate showing some nice color case-hardening. The classic style European walnut stock rates very good with nearly all its original varnish and overall minor dings and handling marks from the years. It features the typical rounded left-side cheekpiece and a bone pistolgrip cap which shows some light insect damage. The steel butt trap buttplate has been replaced by a 1” recoil pad, the stock does not appear to have been cut, only flattened to accommodate the pad, the current length of pull being 14 3/4” to the front trigger. The original open sights are intact, the rear being two leaf and the arm seems to function well mechanically. There is a very nice knurled thread protector cap included with the arm, thread dimensions appear to be .495” by about 20 tpi (1/2x20), although the 1.3mm tpi thread gauge fits more closely (12x1.3). In any event, a lovely rifle still in a very fine state of condition with the added bonus of being threaded for a sound moderator. (38873-593) {C&R}
"

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: DonZ]
      #319333 - 25/08/18 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Each has its place:

This one once belonged to a skinny blue eyed fella named Frank Sinatra.
Barrett Jackson sold it for over 30 grand in 2005.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #319335 - 25/08/18 10:49 PM

Quote:

Anyone think that this is a factory threaded barrel?

NOO!!!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: kuduae]
      #319336 - 26/08/18 12:05 AM

Threaded barrel - fine, whatever. It's a pretty quiet rifle to start, so the super-skinny suppressor that would actually work with those sights could make a bit of difference.

The buttpad on the other hand I just don't see the point.
Maybe to increase LOP, but there's just no recoil from the little 6.5x54. Nothing.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Factory threaded barrel? [Re: kuduae]
      #319351 - 26/08/18 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone think that this is a factory threaded barrel?

NOO!!!

There's your answer.

I would trust Kuduae's knowledge and expertise on matters regarding European firearms and their history.

I wonder if the barrel threads were for a 'cutts' type compensator rather than a suppressor (silencer)? I'm just guessing, but here are a couple of examples from the 'net:

These are from a chat room thread on Gunbroker. The writer calls it "An integral muzzle brake at the muzzle, forged with the barrel..." of "a full stock Model 1952 Mannlicher- Schoenauer carbine in caliber .30-06, manufactured in 1953..." (I suspect it is soldered on rather than 'forged').

Here's a brake that has been added to a 98k Mauser, converted to 8X63:

Another odd speculation - could the previous owner have been using a blank firing adapter (BFA) such as these that were for Mausers?:

Thread protectors for same:

Cartridges loaded with wooden projectiles for above

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2974

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com