Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sequoia value

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Hook
.224 member

Reged: 01/03/18
Loc: Heart of Dixie
Sequoia value
      #319205 - 21/08/18 04:45 AM

I've stumbled across a Sequoia and would love some input on it's value. It is in good shape but has been modified. The LOP with a 1" ugly Pachmeyer pad is 13" from the front trigger. I think this indicates close to 2" of the butt has been cut off. Has been D&Ted for a side mount scope base and the wood slightly relieved for the base. The holes were plugged and ground down and the area refinished. Round burnishing marks for the repairs can be seen on the inside of the action. A Leopold base was then added and it holds a Lyman 4X Permacenter scope. The safety will not operate because of the scope. The sights, peep, and all other functions appear to be in good shape.

No collector value left, but could be a good user. The question is, what does it being a Sequoia add to its real world value? The rifle appeals to me, but only as a user. The bore looked OK, but I am not a good judge of bore wear. Other than the mods, I would say the rifle is in very good condition and that would indicate light use or very careful use. If it doesn't shoot well, I would like to be able to get my money back, so I don't want to pay a premium just because it is a Sequoia.

Edited by Hook (21/08/18 06:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Sequoia value [Re: Hook]
      #319215 - 21/08/18 01:10 PM

Bummer about the cut stock. For the scope mount, perhaps another of the type that had been mounted could be found and refitted to cover the 'ugly marks' and give you a mount that allows use of the wing safety? At least it doesn't have a dovetail cut through the receiver ring, as many 'prewar' MS do (or does it?).

If it's an unaltered Sequoia it's chambered in .30-'06, a major convenience with ammo being readily available and relatively inexpensive. As a 'shooter' that alone gives it great value.

If it were me, and the price is anywhere near reasonable (say, sub - $1,000.), and in the condition described, I'd likely jump at it, enjoy the heck out of shooting it, and scour every advertisement available looking for a buggered MS with a good stock. There's absolutely nothing like the action of a genuine, prewar Mannlicher Schönauer.

Reproduction stocks can be made, as well.

Here's one for an MC, perhaps he'd make a 'prewar' MS stock?
Cottage Craft Works

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Hook
.224 member

Re: Sequoia value [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #319216 - 21/08/18 01:24 PM

Thanks for the input, Roth. Even being a 1924, I suspected it would be around a $1k in it's present condition. I believe the guy thinks it's worth a lot more and I seriously doubt I can get him to come down much at all.

Oh well, I'll just have to be happy with my 1903 stutzen…..

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#319217 - 21/08/18 01:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input, Roth. Even being a 1924, I suspected it would be around a $1k in it's present condition. I believe the guy thinks it's worth a lot more and I seriously doubt I can get him to come down much at all.

Perhaps you could work him down regarding the stock. That hack job does severely compromise any collector value and replacement would be rather expensive (along with finding a trap door buttplate). Unless you're short enough for that length of pull!

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#319218 - 21/08/18 02:00 PM

Quote:

Happy, indeed!

I'm pleased as punch with my Grand-Dad's M1910 Takedown, and you have the advantage of 'off the shelf' ammo availability with your 6.5X54.

'Johnny's Cat'

--------------------

Hook
.224 member

Re: Sequoia value [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #319252 - 22/08/18 11:46 PM

Well, not much feedback on my question, and that is understandable. Determining value of M-Ss in general is somewhat difficult, and whatever extra value a Sequoia model would be is even more difficult. I have a good idea what the rifle would be worth if it were not a Sequoia. It's mods severely impact that. It is just whether being a Sequoia model would add to that value, even considering those mods, that I cannot put a finger on....

Thanks!

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#319259 - 23/08/18 05:37 AM

'One man's silver...'

I'd love to have a nice Sequoia, but you're surely wise to hesitate and weigh the condition of the firearm and its lack of originality against enthusiasm.

I passed on a luger a year or so ago for similar reasons. Tempting, but... .

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2510

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com