Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No double rifle specials for PHs?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
No double rifle specials for PHs?
      #31654 - 21/05/05 03:07 PM

I have wondered why double makers don't deeply discount their products for professional hunters in order to get the products out into the field where they will be seen by paying clients all year long. Envision a client who shows up with a Wby Mark V or a lowly CZ seeing how the PH handles his double. The client may see the advantages and allure of the double, and of course naturally the PH would tend to advocate the brand he owns especially if the manufacturer treated him right.

Instead, we see glossy magazine ads which each cost more than a complete rifle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: 500grains]
      #31660 - 21/05/05 03:35 PM

I think they should all give one to a double rifle forum owner first.

I know of one Italian maker who gives one away each year as a tip, probably for just the reason you mention.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: NitroX]
      #31662 - 21/05/05 04:14 PM

I have a friend who is a Outfitter in Alaska who has recieved two Perguni Vissinis (sp) as tips. Both from the owner of the company. Is that who you are thinking of?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #31665 - 21/05/05 04:57 PM

Hmmm. Low volume, high cost product. Narrow market. Lots of PHs, which ones to choose? How many clients does each one have out in a year? Of those, how many would buy the rifle? Is adequate capacity available to capitalize on increased demand?

The double rifle market IS narrow, and such a scheme would seem to be a great way to get the product into the field and in front of the target market. Obstacles with it though.

1. Beancounters would probably see the scheme as marginal.

2. Many makers may already be near capacity with respect to double rifles anyway.

3. Even manufacturer's cost might be too much for most PHs to swing. Ditto the cost of DR ammo and aggravation of obtaining it.

4. Manufacturer might feel obliged to listen to an earful about the product from the PH. (Don't laugh. This is the biggest obstacle.)
--------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #31671 - 21/05/05 07:34 PM

If the owner occasionally gives away a gun at his personal expense, that is fine with me, however, if the company is giving away a low volume item with a high price tag as a means of doing business, that indicates that the product is overpriced and the real customers are getting reamed.

I would be very annoyed if I spent $30,000 or $40,000 on a rifle only to find out that the company can afford to give away a comparatively significant percentage of their production.

Richard.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #31685 - 21/05/05 10:48 PM

This Year, my PH was using a Heym 458 Lott S/S double. He got it (new) for 7K instead of 15 K$. 3 months later the double was looking severely used. The PH he cleaned it with gazoline, the grease had been removed and jungle corroded it all over.
Was is a discount from Heym (Heym is a very very small company) or is 458Lott not a reliable ammo in a double?
By the by, a sucker gave him a 460 Wby.

brainstorming, brainstorming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: larcher]
      #31697 - 22/05/05 01:37 AM

I wouldn't want a 458 Lott in a SXS. I would take it as a gift though.

The P&Vs that my friend was given were a 9.3x74R and a .458. I told him to have it rechambered and when he called the owner, (Vissini?) he was told that it would be a good idea. He asked if they would do it but the owner said that the 450 3 1/4 was not in the book of registered calibers in Italy so they could not chamber a rifle for it, nor could import it into Italy for work.

He sent it to Liege and got it done there and reproofed also.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

JeffWemmer470
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: mickey]
      #31823 - 24/05/05 01:18 AM

"500grains"

I think that companys like Krieghoff, Merkel & Chapuis would be wise to get their guns more "field" exposure.

Searcy on the other hand already has one of the better reputations among the PH crowd and thus, he's booked!

However, I see K-hoffs, Merkels and Chapuis for sale all over the place. Seems that they might be over-produced at this point in time. They might be wise to "sponsor" some outfitters and move more rifles.

Realize that we're talking 2 different types of production between Searcy (custom) and the others (production).

But, given the narrow scope of this market (no pun intended) and the highly discriminating clientele, Searcy has higher appeal than do the production guns - more of a "working-meat gun" reputation. And that has a lot to do with the way Butch approaches the marketplace; hands-on, user friendly, custom, reasonable$$ a legend in the making! The other companys lack "personality / character" because of their lack of direct contact with the end users.

When I chose my double it was that feel of authenticity that got my attention with Searcy. I already had a "period" .470 Rigby, but hunting with relics isn't always a wise thing to do, so I opted for a modern rifle as a primary weapon - for numerous reasons (one of which was PH testimonial) Searcy won out against the others!

They'd (the others) better get into the field!

JW's 02!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: JeffWemmer470]
      #31829 - 24/05/05 01:48 AM

I think people see a lot more Merkels/Chapuis/Krieghoffs is because they sell a lot more and have a much much bigger chunk of the marketplace.

I don't want to push this into another Searcy pro and con discussion but isn't the standard PH model a factory stock rifle but adjusted for LOP? To get extras more has to be paid and that also applies to the other 'brands' as well.

I think Searcy has done a very very good job in promoting his rifles on the internet.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #31868 - 24/05/05 10:05 AM

In which case all Safari Companies should give double rifle makers a free hunt perhaps,

Actually that does happen, a hunt for a double is something I have set up in the past..but it get harder to do these days for some reason???????

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #31875 - 24/05/05 11:38 AM

In reply to:

I don't want to push this into another Searcy pro and con discussion but isn't the standard PH model a factory stock rifle but adjusted for LOP?

The Searcy PH model has a stock made to fit the customer including cast off, drop and LOP, at no extra charge. If the customer wants, he can get extras like trap door grip cap, leather recoil pad, sling studs, upgaded wood, etc. for an extra charge. Alternatively you can just get the Searcy Deluxe model which has all the bells and whistles.

In general Searcy has a 6-12 month backlog depending on when you order. Ivory Beads in California keeps one or two new Searcys in stock, however, in case a guy needs one in an emergency. Cabelas has a used Searcy every once in a while. When I bought mine, Cabelas had a used one for $1,000 more than a new on. Reason for the price difference? No waiting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#31890 - 24/05/05 02:12 PM

Dan

It is good to see the double market is alive and healthy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: No double rifle specials for PHs? [Re: JeffWemmer470]
      #31925 - 25/05/05 12:07 AM

One of the local Krieghoff agents will give a substantial discount on a double if a PH can prove he is hunting dangerous game. Still about R50 000 in South Africa (about US$8k), so most of us cannot afford it. I like my .450 Rigby on a double square bridge Mauser tipe action more anyway.........

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2941

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com