Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed .375 magazine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Ausy
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/18
Loc: Hindmarsh Island South Austral...
Lee Speed .375 magazine
      #319219 - 21/08/18 03:42 PM

I am after the dimensions for a.375 Lee Speed magazine, not the standard 10 shot but the one in between the fish belly and the 10 shot, at this stage I convert No1 Mk111 magazines into 5 shot fish belly magazines,
these magazines are an exact copy of the original BSA/LSA magazine with the curve going across the width and length of the magazine, since making these magazines I have had a lot of interest in converting the SMLE magazine for use with the .375 round, this can be done by making an insert to go inside the standard magazine making it a flat stack configuration. If any of our members have converted SMLE magazines for use with .375 ammunition, your input would be much appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Lee Speed .375 magazine [Re: Ausy]
      #319222 - 21/08/18 07:34 PM

The few BSA manufactured 375-2 1/2" mags I have seen were double-stack, not single-stack. When cutting them down, it would make more sense to maximise capacity and keep the original configuration. Done properly, a single stack conversion probably would be more laborious, reduce capacity, increase weight and be a solution to a non-existent problem provided the receiver and mag on donors were not half pregnant from previous conversion efforts.

Visual inspection of the feed rails on a handful of BSA actions I have seen are machined alike (but different from the .303), and not heavily worked over by BSA after that machining. Combined with appropriate original mag mods, it seems fair to say they were not hard for BSA to get to feed.

However, I'd reckon to supply replica mags for the 375 2.5" you'd need an original un-molested receiver on hand, and the mag to duplicate, so that you can test each conversion for function in an original receiver. That assumes that the mag sits the same depth in every receiver, which they don't, there is a bit of variation. Then of course, the feed rails of the end-user's action must be modified to suit, which you have no control over unless you do that yourself and test. Then, what bullets are to be made to feed?

With the "short" .303 mags, the original LSA mags were very much different from the BSA "roach belly" magazines. I assume from the below, that you make both variants?

Ausy
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed .375 magazine [Re: Juglansregia]
      #319237 - 22/08/18 12:39 PM

Thanks for your reply Juglansregia, I have a No1 Mk111 mag which has the insert fitted for me to copy, if it looks like its to much of a problem, which by your reply it possibly will be, then I will just stick to the
fish belly and the Parker Hale style that I now make, I have a friend that has a 375 Lee Speed to test the
magazine out on, but as you have said not all of the receivers will be the same, which is a problem when the mags could go any where and nothing worse if they don't feed properly.

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #319240 - 22/08/18 01:36 PM

Will depend also on whether the receiver is cut for the pivoting RHS "control lip", or for the later fixed style. Earlier type cannot be fitted to later receivers, but the later fixed lip mags can be used on the earlier receivers if they (can be made to) feed OK, which most do. No doubt you realise that.

Also, the C spring mags have fed better for me c.f. the W spring mags.The C springs being a bit harder to make.

If you were really hell bent on doing it, I'd get a receiver or two and machine on a pantograph exactly 1:1 the feed rails as per your mates 375, assuming it is original that is so you are hopefully copying a good average receiver. Done right, at least you have arrived at BSA's feed rail solution and not an unknown. Then survey a range of receivers (303 will do) to determine the catch height variations as best you can. Have the max, min and average on hand for testing. Ditto the catch lug heights on mags so you know what you are working with there. Then it would be easier to do them in batches to a known standard, which hopefully would become well proved in time. Not everyone has a metalworking pantograph that will cut 1:1 just kicking around, but I mention it because it is one way of doing it. Works pretty well for M98 conversions also if doing multiples on the same bottom metal and follower, and a bunch of other goodies too.

If you copy your mates mag, assuming it is original, hold the required tolerances and test as above I reckon you can't go far wrong - except the abilities of others to make them feed.

With the single stackers - if they ease the feeding issues some folk will plump for them no doubt, especially if their actions have rails that have been bastardised.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Lee Speed .375 magazine [Re: Juglansregia]
      #319246 - 22/08/18 09:57 PM

I’m out of the country for a few months but have 3 375Ex mags & a 8x50 lee Speed I can check when i get home, but all look the same as the follower & spring only bottom shape changed as far as I can see !

Will look harder on my return home .

Ausy
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed .375 magazine [Re: Sarg]
      #319268 - 23/08/18 10:44 AM

Thanks Sarg for the reply, would appreciate it when you return if you could give me the dimensions of your 375 magazine, its only so that I can get the bottom curve the same as the original. ideally a template of your magazine would be the way to go, but not sure if that can be done over the internet.
cheers
Ausy

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #319274 - 23/08/18 01:48 PM

Maybe I can trace it on some cardboard & post, see if I have spare time on return !

With today’s rules I’ll need a export permit & you a B709 to import a firearm part drawing lol !

Ausy
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed .375 magazine [Re: Sarg]
      #319275 - 23/08/18 02:02 PM

Thanks Sarg, if you could trace and post it, it would be great and your right, to many unnecessary rules
Ausy

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2415

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com