Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof
      #319107 - 17/08/18 04:36 AM

Picking this up in a couple weeks....built it to be a traveling rifle as well as to use it here in Montana..

Definace action with a 20 degree base, Proof Barrel, Christenson Arms carbon fiber stock, Timney Calvin Elite Trigger...28 Nosler caliber

All in right now wight is approx. 6 1/2 lbs..should be slightly under 8lbs with Scope..which was my goal.. plan to shoot 175 Gr Swift A-Frames..figure with the higher velocity, the bonded bullet will be a good choice..AND I have and tremendous results with that same bullet in 300RUM, 7MM RUM, 338RUM, 375H&H, and 416 REM...

Built by McLaughlin Firearms, Helena MT
https://mclaughlincustomfirearms.com/contact-us/
https://www.facebook.com/JHMcLaughlinFirearms/

RenderedI by A Hoffart, on Flickr

IMG950838 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

IMG950839 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

20180815_153209 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

7828 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (17/08/18 04:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: Ripp]
      #319115 - 17/08/18 08:26 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #319117 - 17/08/18 08:54 AM

Ripp, I don't know if you noticed but your scope mounts have a big hole in them and your barrel still has the wrapping paper on it and the white ants have eaten your bolt away.

That should be a handy rifle when climbing. Can you tell us the barrel length thanks.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: Rule303]
      #319118 - 17/08/18 10:19 AM

Very nice.

Ripp
.577 member

#319123 - 17/08/18 04:16 PM

Quote:

Ripp, I don't know if you noticed but your scope mounts have a big hole in them and your barrel still has the wrapping paper on it and the white ants have eaten your bolt away.

That should be a handy rifle when climbing. Can you tell us the barrel length thanks.

Barrel is 26"

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #319124 - 17/08/18 09:10 PM

Wow, very nice piece of kit. Now you have me second guessing my choices.

I went a slightly different rout with the Nosler cartridges.

Being built for me at the moment is a 26 Nosler on a SS Ruger #1 action, MPI fiberglass stock, barrel band sling swivel, NECGs master piece open sights, 28 inch SS Shillen match barrel. Built to shoot 100gr Barnes X Tipped at 3800+ fps.

I’m thinking it will be a fine spcialized bushbuck harvesting rig. Your has way more versatility and practicality though.

Congrats.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: Rell]
      #319137 - 18/08/18 12:27 AM

Quote:

Wow, very nice piece of kit. Now you have me second guessing my choices.

I went a slightly different rout with the Nosler cartridges.

Being built for me at the moment is a 26 Nosler on a SS Ruger #1 action, MPI fiberglass stock, barrel band sling swivel, NECGs master piece open sights, 28 inch SS Shillen match barrel. Built to shoot 100gr Barnes X Tipped at 3800+ fps.

I’m thinking it will be a fine spcialized bushbuck harvesting rig. Your has way more versatility and practicality though.

Congrats.

I actually have a FIERCE rifle also in 26 Nosler..

http://fiercearms.com/products/rifle-models/carbon-edge

Have used it to this point on pronghorn..130 GR Berger VLD's..personally I feel that bullet sucks..will never us a Berger for hunting ever again, period.. Each to their own..

26 Nosler is a hot rod..I do like the caliber..and it's NOT as much of a barrel burner as others claim it to be -just have to be smart and not blast a bunch of rounds in succession....that crazy albeit uncommon thing called common sense..

As to the versatility of the 28 Nosler, yes that is why I choose it...plan to use the heavy for caliber bullets to reduce the velocity some and shoot high BC bullets.. flat enough where I can shoot as far as I ever care to shoot..personally feel, and have been told the 3000 to 3150 is ideal with a high BC bullet or longer range shooting...while the A-Frame is NOT a high BC, at 175gr its almost .500..think .493BC...which is all I will ever need out to 6-700 yards if needed..but 99% of my shots are 400 yards or less ..usually much less..depends on the hunt, terrain and what I feel like doing at the time.. If I want a higher bc can try the Hornady's they are bragging about...however still have my doubts on how it would hold up under higher velocity and elk sized game.?? Could also use the 150GR Swift Scirroco, which is what I would probably do.. high BC and holds together very will in my experience out of the 300RUM.

I found out years ago Nosler's Accubond is NOT a high velocity bullet, despite that Nolser claims..it did not hold up out of my 300RUM shooting the 180's ..which has a mv of 3370...very poor penetration at closer ranges..200 yards and less..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (18/08/18 05:05 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

#319149 - 18/08/18 09:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Ripp
.577 member

#319167 - 18/08/18 11:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Figured with the bigger case, need 26" to burn the powder and maximize the case...28 is too dang long for my tastes..26 is very manageable ..

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #319169 - 19/08/18 02:27 AM

Really neat project rifle.
Looks like a lot of fun!

Post some targets. :-)

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Rule303
.416 member

#319186 - 19/08/18 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Figured with the bigger case, need 26" to burn the powder and maximize the case...28 is too dang long for my tastes..26 is very manageable ..

Makes sense. I have my 358/338RUM in having 20mm knocked of the 26" barrel. Just won't quite fit into the gun case I use when traveling overseas.

Ripp
.577 member

#319316 - 25/08/18 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Makes sense. I have my 358/338RUM in having 20mm knocked of the 26" barrel. Just won't quite fit into the gun case I use when traveling overseas.

Hmmmmmm....

I have a 26" on numerous guns with no problems like that..but dont have a muzzle break on any of them..hate muzzle breaks, but that is personal preference.. My main hunting buddy has a custom RUM with a break..he has to take the break off to get it into the case..

I have a HS in 300RUM that I have taken to Africa 6 times..no issue ..put it and my 416 in the Cabela's stainless vertical carry case --off we go..

Have a couple customs in .257 Weatherby caliber..both with 26" barrels..along with other RUMS, 7mm and 338.. as well with 26" barrels..Have to say for stalking however, I much prefer a 24 or even 22" barrel...

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#319330 - 25/08/18 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Hmmmmmm....

I have a 26" on numerous guns with no problems like that..but dont have a muzzle break on any of them..hate muzzle breaks, but that is personal preference.. My main hunting buddy has a custom RUM with a break..he has to take the break off to get it into the case..

I have a HS in 300RUM that I have taken to Africa 6 times..no issue ..put it and my 416 in the Cabela's stainless vertical carry case --off we go..

Have a couple customs in .257 Weatherby caliber..both with 26" barrels..along with other RUMS, 7mm and 338.. as well with 26" barrels..Have to say for stalking however, I much prefer a 24 or even 22" barrel...

I have an alloy case made specifically to deal with airport employees and it has served very well. As some airlines have a maximine size allowed before they charge extra I have kept it with in these specs plus I have a good length of pull on it. Most Airlines do not check these specs often but after being caught out once I decided to play safe. Most can use a full size Pelican case and these are over the Airlines specs but normally do not attract extra charges.

Ripp
.577 member

#319350 - 26/08/18 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barrel is 26"

Thanks Ripp

Hmmmmmm....

I have an alloy case made specifically to deal with airport employees and it has served very well. As some airlines have a maximine size allowed before they charge extra I have kept it with in these specs plus I have a good length of pull on it. Most Airlines do not check these specs often but after being caught out once I decided to play safe. Most can use a full size Pelican case and these are over the Airlines specs but normally do not attract extra charges.

Yes, sadly, every once in a while you'll get some liberal hater working at the airlines that attempts to make life miserable..seem to run into those a lot in Paris..

When I head to Africa I always take the vertical carry aluminum double case..getting beat up a bit. but its so heavy its hard for them to toss it around..really like that case..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#319674 - 08/09/18 12:12 AM

When out testing loads today on this rifle..

This is the second load shot through it..shooting 175gr Swift A-Frames..US869 Powder, Nosler Brass, Fed, 215 primers.. Average velocity 3154fps

Went heavy for caliber bullets vs the 150 or 160's as I plan to use this on elk here in Montana...as well as mtn game in other parts of the world..

558019696 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------

.275 member

Reged: 25/03/17
Loc: Houston, TX
      #319682 - 08/09/18 01:29 PM

Low and to the left.... 😆

Seriously though, that’s tight. I’ve had good success with Rifles inc and Fierce but I’ve really been loving the new Cooper at a fraction of the cost. Was thinking another Cooper or Rifles inc as my next in 30 06 but may need to consider a 28 Nosler.

Congrats on a beautiful rig!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #319683 - 08/09/18 01:30 PM

Nice!

I think I have two eight pound kegs of that powder.
Need some?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: tinker]
      #319692 - 09/09/18 04:05 AM

Quote:

Nice!

I think I have two eight pound kegs of that powder.
Need some?

Thanks for the offer, however when I purchased the first 26 Nosler I picked up quite a bit..so good for now..I have about 10 lbs of it right now myself..

There seems to be a shortage of 28 Nosler brass however--I called and spoke to Nosler, they told me the 28's popularity has far exceeded their expectations..but a new large supply is suppose to hit sometime this fall..I am fine--ahve about 200 pieces..but will pick up more when I see it..

---
Quote:

Low and to the left.... 😆

Seriously though, that’s tight. I’ve had good success with Rifles inc and Fierce but I’ve really been loving the new Cooper at a fraction of the cost. Was thinking another Cooper or Rifles inc as my next in 30 06 but may need to consider a 28 Nosler.

Congrats on a beautiful rig!

I have a Rifles Inc in 280AI--which is my main mtn rifle when hunting sheep, goats or ibex..Love that gun--all in with scope its about 6.25lbs.. and incredibly accurate..

Also have a Fierce in 26 Nosler..its o.k..but frankly I like the Rifles Inc way more..been having a time getting the Fierce to shoot consistently--gonna pull it apart and take a look at the bedding..good gun, but having a few issues with it at the moment..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (09/09/18 04:10 AM)

.275 member

Reged: 25/03/17
Loc: Houston, TX
      #319695 - 09/09/18 05:23 AM

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

My Rifles inc is also incredibly light, just under 5 lbs without a scope but it’s a 300 win mag so not a lot of fun to shoot!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: 008]
      #319699 - 09/09/18 08:42 AM

G'Day Fella's,

I prefer boring rifles (boringly consistent/accurate) and Ripp, I do believe you have one there.

Most impressive accuracy and shooting there Ripp, well done.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: Homer]
      #319735 - 10/09/18 01:28 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

I prefer boring rifles (boringly consistent/accurate) and Ripp, I do believe you have one there.

Most impressive accuracy and shooting there Ripp, well done.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Agreed--NOT always the case--so when this happens, I'll take it..

-----

Quote:

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

My Rifles inc is also incredibly light, just under 5 lbs without a scope but it’s a 300 win mag so not a lot of fun to shoot!

You could have a brake installed if its an issue..personally I am not a fan of brakes on a hunting rifle as I don't care to wear ear protection while hunting..but each to their own..

My little 280AI is very pleasant to shoot..with no brake..

Thx

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#335956 - 30/12/19 03:25 AM

Took two elk and one whitetail this season with this rifle ..

Shot the elk at approx. 225 yards using Hornady ELD-X bullets--162 gr .. velocity was approx. 3200 fps.. both one shot kills.. high shoulder..did not recover the bullet on either.. but did not pass through..

Took a nice whitetail buck also relatively close shot.. complete pass through on the whitetail..

I am still of the opinion on the ELD-X bullets, they are a relatively soft jacketed bullet. Still somewhat question their use on larger game at close distances out of a high velocity cartridge.. Yes, dead is dead, but what if the shot is less than perfect??.. Or hits a very large bone at even closer distance??.. Time will tell but I do believe for deer size game and smaller the ELD-X is a good bullet...

For elk, the old Swift A-Frame is still the way to go..or the swift scirocco..IMHO.
I say this after dozens of elk taken with those bullet along with dozens of African game..either by myself or by others..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #335961 - 30/12/19 05:00 AM

Most bonded bullets of straight cup and core design, use pure lead for the core. This is what I read about them (in general) - I have no experience with them, myself. They are very rapid expanding - wad up like bubblegum and thus oft times do not give the deep penetration their weight retention would suggest.
The Swift A-Frame design, having the partition resists this gross expansion and gives back penetration that would have been lost, had it been a standard cup and core design.

This made sense to me. 9.3x57's penetration tests of 300gr. .375 Interbond also showed this "gross" or large expansion and reduced penetration of the standard cup and core bonded bullets, compared to the Swift A'Frame.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: McLaughlin Firearms Custom 28 Nosler..Defiance action/Proof [Re: DarylS]
      #335963 - 30/12/19 06:23 AM

Quote:

Most bonded bullets of straight cup and core design, use pure lead for the core. This is what I read about them (in general) - I have no experience with them, myself. They are very rapid expanding - wad up like bubblegum and thus oft times do not give the deep penetration their weight retention would suggest.
The Swift A-Frame design, having the partition resists this gross expansion and gives back penetration that would have been lost, had it been a standard cup and core design.

This made sense to me. 9.3x57's penetration tests of 300gr. .375 Interbond also showed this "gross" or large expansion and reduced penetration of the standard cup and core bonded bullets, compared to the Swift A'Frame.

Agree--experienced similar result my first trip to Africa..using my 300RUM for plains game--shooting 180 Accubonds.. MV was 3370fps... way too hot for that bullet.. took 4 shots to keep a waterbuck down.. switched to A-Frames out of my .416 for the next 2 weeks on everything.. worked great.. and no big holes even on the little guys..with the exception of a baboon.. see below..

He made the fatal error of being in the open meadow was we come into the clearing.. ran across the open to escape.. took one through the back at 192 yards from my .416--400gr A-Frame..
"THAT" left a mark..
P1170051 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Yet, I shot all of these with the same rifle and bullet combo.. no issues with large entry or exit holds.. in fact I shot the warthog at 80 yards facing me.. recovered the bullet on his rear end right beside his blowhole.. out of 400 grs bullet still weighed 392 grs..
P1060018 - Copy - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr
--

P1160041 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr
--

P1060006 - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

Accubonds are great for a mv of 3100fps or less --I have used them for every Ibex and Sheep hunt I have ever been on with my 280AI..(8 total)-- works like the hammer of Thor on them.. 140 gr bullet..3150fps.. and most shots have been between 325 to 530 yards..so, upon impact the speed was greatly reduced..

I see different posts on the next proclaiming the ELD-X as a good bullet on elk and smaller.. for now I am sticking to deer and smaller until I can test a few more.. picked up some 175gt ELD-x's for the 28 Nosler--lower speed and higher weight..believe that will be better than the 162's ..at least for elk..

Edited by Ripp (30/12/19 06:30 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#335964 - 30/12/19 06:35 AM

This guy come running out of the thicket as we were tracking him.. again, same bullet rifle combo.. 416 Rem, 400gr Swift A-Frame..check out the second photo pic of his heart..THAT is the beauty of the A-Frame.. IMHO, it does whatever it needs to do .. little stuff it blows through with minimal damage..bigger game, well, as you can see by the heart pic, it does what it needs to do..

P1080049 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

P1090055 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8353

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com