Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem.
      #318948 - 09/08/18 09:39 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0818

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: Ripp]
      #318976 - 10/08/18 06:54 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp, it was a good read.

Being a serious .308Win fan, I consider the 7mm-08 (or as I refer to it, the "Lemon-08"), a bit of an upstart, and nothing more than a Varmint cartridge.

On the other hand, I do have a lot of time for the mighty 7x57 Mauser, and I consider the 7x57, the original .308Win ............... if you know what I mean.
To save you guessing and wondering what I'm referring to, with similar bullet weights, the 7x57 and the .308Win have very similar ballistics. It's just that the 7x57 (1892) was here, 60 years before the .308Win (aka the "T65", in 1952).

So whilst I doubt I would ever own a Lemon-08, I have owned and need another 7x57 chambered rifle.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #318977 - 10/08/18 08:31 PM

Thanks for posting Ripp. A good read.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: Homer]
      #318980 - 10/08/18 10:26 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Being a serious .308Win fan, I consider the 7mm-08 (or as I refer to it, the "Lemon-08"), a bit of an upstart, and nothing more than a Varmint cartridge.

On the other hand, I do have a lot of time for the mighty 7x57 Mauser, and I consider the 7x57, the original .308Win ............... if you know what I mean.
To save you guessing and wondering what I'm referring to, with similar bullet weights, the 7x57 and the .308Win have very similar ballistics. It's just that the 7x57 (1892) was here, 60 years before the .308Win (aka the "T65", in 1952).

So whilst I doubt I would ever own a Lemon-08, I have owned and need another 7x57 chambered rifle.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

In this neck of the woods, the 7-08 is often used by youth or woman as a elk/deer rifle --I have seen numerous elk fall to this round..IMHO, very effective..but hey, that's just me..

Did NOT know the 7x57 dates back that far..but then, that kind of thing is not on the forefront for me..

I was just reading an article in SPORTSAFIELD earlier today about how many "local" elk hunters are choosing lighter calibers can combining them with todays better bullets with very good results..article was written by John Barsness..FYI

Have a good one

Ripp

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #318985 - 11/08/18 02:32 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Not sure I would agree that the 7mm-08 is any kind of a lemon at all. It is functionally equivalent to the 7x57 mauser albeit the 7mm-08 at somewhat higher pressure and velocity. It is plenty accurate and has lots of power for mid size plains game. I have several .308 rifles as well as 7mm-08, and 260 Remingtons. They all have merits and all perform similarly on game albeit the 308 has the ability to hurl somewhat heavier projectiles with a litlle more of a rainbow trajectory. One would conversely argue that the 7mm-08 and the .260 have greater sectional density for a given weight thus will penetrate deeper. On the target range, the smaller calibers will shoot flatter and farther than the 308 but those differences only come into play for the more specialized longer range target shooters.

I would be inclined to agree that the .243 is leaning more towards the smaller end of the mid size specturm simply because I feel that the available projectile weights are getting to be too light with such a small caliber.

Homer
.416 member

Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: Postman]
      #318988 - 11/08/18 08:13 AM

G'Day Fella's,

I was just taking the piss, out of the Lemon-08.
A mate of mine has a couple of them and is constantly spruikin on, about it's superior long range ballistics, etc, etc, blah, blah..... and then he goes and shoots a Pig, Goat or Deer at 50 meters with it........
So I put together the above, to throw back at him and take the piss out of him/it........ and then wrote it hear as a laugh.

Regardless, I would still own 10 x 7x57's, before I would buy a Lemon-08 ......... LOL!

Yes Ripp, both the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (1894), are two exceedingly old but totally useful cartridges.......... even today (even more so, with modern powders and bullets).
If I only had a choice of one or two cartridges, for medium game hunting and target shooting, I wouldn't feel inadequately armed, with either of these two gems, on my shoulder.

HooRoo for now
Homer

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #318990 - 11/08/18 09:07 AM

Hey Homer:

Forgive me..... I missed that it was a parody.... Me thinks I be wound too tight!!!!!!!

Best,

Postman

Homer
.416 member

Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: Postman]
      #318992 - 11/08/18 09:31 AM

G'Day Fella's,

No probs Postman, I figured that wasthe case, and took no offence.
Mate, I think we all need to stop and take a deep breath or two these days, as the "powers to be", have us all wound up, and for no real reason........... when you think about it.

Best regards and Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#318993 - 11/08/18 10:36 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

No probs Postman, I figured that wasthe case, and took no offence.
Mate, I think we all need to stop and take a deep breath or two these days, as the "powers to be", have us all wound up, and for no real reason........... when you think about it.

Best regards and Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

A lot of truth in that..which is why I spend a lot of time at the gun range and gym..good for the soul...and quit watching or listening to the news as much... helps a ton..

Ripp

--------------------

MagnumHunter
.275 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #319001 - 11/08/18 12:53 PM

I'm sure the 7mm08 is a capable round. I could never really justify one with 3 .270s in the gun room, plus a 7mm Mauser. If I didn't have either the 708 might be appealing.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: MagnumHunter]
      #319011 - 11/08/18 03:53 PM

Over the years I have shot animals with a 7x57 (chamois & red deer), 7x65R (roe deer), 7x61 S&H (red, whitetail and fallow deer, chamois and tahr) and now use a little 22" barrel blind magazine plastic fantastic Marlin XS7 7mm-08 with which to date I have shot red deer and tahr. Hiunted a lot with a friend who had a 7x64.

Of all the 7mms I owned and used the 7x61S&H was a fantastically accurate hard hitting round but the 26" barreled Schultz & Larsen rifle at 10lbs was f....king heavy. The BSA Hunter 7x57 was a nice rifle with medium length action made just for the 7mm Mauser cartridge, good performer. 7x65R was a combination shotgun/rifle, okay in Europe but would be a PITA here for our hunting.

Now onto the 7mm-08, very light rifle, accurate out of the box, short action, light recoil and muzzle blast, will send 140gr ballistic efficient pills down range at 2,900fps factory loads or duplicate reloads, big range of factory ammo, common and cheap cases to buy new or second hand or can make in one pass through a FL die from 243Win or 308Win cases, a good variety of rifles chambered from the cheap Marlin/Weatherby Vanguard to as expensive as you want to go.

Whats not to like about such a well balanced easy to shoot modern cartridge like the 7mm-08? They say the proof is in the pudding.

My Marlin 7mm-08 laying in wait for a Tahr (May this year)

My youngest son's Weatherby Vanguard 7mm-08 with a couple of bulls that didn't get away.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: eagle27]
      #319016 - 11/08/18 11:48 PM

What can is that, and how do you like it?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

#319017 - 12/08/18 02:47 AM

Great looking animal..great looking country..one day will be there..

and yes, what is there not to like..large variety of bullets, cheap and easy to shoot..and tons of rifles chambered in it..

Ripp

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: tinker]
      #319022 - 12/08/18 08:31 AM

Quote:

I think it is a Gunworks suppressor and yes more and more younger hunters are using cans now which is good for their hearing protection. Of the five rifles on our Tahr hunt back in May only my Marlin did not have a can. My elder son had a can put on his Remington 700SPS rifle when he purchased a new Zeiss scope before the tahr hunt from Guncity. Their in house gunsmith did the job while he waited and he got a bloody good deal on the scope and can. Not sure if the can is their own or they buy in.

Two others on our tahr hunt had 7mm Rem Mags with cans. Certainly nice to shoot a rifle with a can and seems to tame recoil too, I shot one of the Rem Mags during our drive south for the hunt. My son's mate had only just got a new Tikka T3 with Leupold scope, can and bipod the day before we left. Pulled into an old quarry in the area where I used to live and hunt and shot his rifle in at 50m. I assured him half inch high at 50m with the Winchester Supreme 160gr will do the trick and it did, he got 3 bulls and some meat nannies.

Only thing I find with a can or a bipod for that matter is that it all adds weight up front to what can be a very nicely balanced light rifle to carry around the hills and alps. I have given both my hunting sons my bipods and haven't been in a hurry to get a can on my Marlin, at 67 years old I now feel every ounce

Ripp
.577 member

#319091 - 16/08/18 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it is a Gunworks suppressor and yes more and more younger hunters are using cans now which is good for their hearing protection. Of the five rifles on our Tahr hunt back in May only my Marlin did not have a can. My elder son had a can put on his Remington 700SPS rifle when he purchased a new Zeiss scope before the tahr hunt from Guncity. Their in house gunsmith did the job while he waited and he got a bloody good deal on the scope and can. Not sure if the can is their own or they buy in.

Two others on our tahr hunt had 7mm Rem Mags with cans. Certainly nice to shoot a rifle with a can and seems to tame recoil too, I shot one of the Rem Mags during our drive south for the hunt. My son's mate had only just got a new Tikka T3 with Leupold scope, can and bipod the day before we left. Pulled into an old quarry in the area where I used to live and hunt and shot his rifle in at 50m. I assured him half inch high at 50m with the Winchester Supreme 160gr will do the trick and it did, he got 3 bulls and some meat nannies.

Only thing I find with a can or a bipod for that matter is that it all adds weight up front to what can be a very nicely balanced light rifle to carry around the hills and alps. I have given both my hunting sons my bipods and haven't been in a hurry to get a can on my Marlin, at 67 years old I now feel every ounce

AGree with you on everything..wish we could just go buy a can now without a separate process to do so.. would certainly have helped regarding the 40% hearing loss I have in my left ear..

Also agree on the added weight which is why I have gone to lighter rifles through the years for all my mountain hunting.. see no reason to carry an extra 1-4 lbs when I don't have to..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #319488 - 31/08/18 02:30 AM

Both are rubbish. Only the .275 Rigby for me.

Have to read the article, but by its title, it sounds like yet ANOTHER .308 vs .30-06 or .222 vs .223 article to me.

Whether A+B is better than B+A is very important.

I do have a preference for a 7x57 or .275 Rigby to the extent, I would never own a 7mm08. ;_

BTW Having lusted over two .275 Rigby's in Darwin at the BGRC informal meeting/show and tell/Marrakai's house dinner, one a Jeffery and the other a Rigby, I hope one oneday enters my gunsafe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

perssontobias
.224 member

Reged: 09/03/17
Loc: Sweden
Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: NitroX]
      #320091 - 26/09/18 10:42 PM

I have had a 7-08 before and can mention that I miss the caliber to the extent that it is east to shot, that is enough for everything in Sweden, but maybe not optimal for the bear.
But I've shot a lot of fellowdeer, roedeer and boar with it and nothing has complained.

I had Nosler AccuBond 140 gr as my standard load, that bullet worked well every time.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Head to head comparison--7x57mm-mauser-vs-7mm-08-Rem. [Re: perssontobias]
      #320092 - 26/09/18 11:35 PM

Quote:

I have had a 7-08 before and can mention that I miss the caliber to the extent that it is east to shot, that is enough for everything in Sweden, but maybe not optimal for the bear.
But I've shot a lot of fellowdeer, roedeer and boar with it and nothing has complained.

I had Nosler AccuBond 140 gr as my standard load, that bullet worked well every time.

----

Almost without exception, that is the report I get from those who have used the 7-08.. I personally know a guy who started all his kids using that caliber for elk..worked very very well..personally think its a very good caliber..

In regards to the Nosler Accubond, I have had very good success with that same bullet in my 280AI for sheep/goats around the planet..have used it on Rocky MTN. Big Horn, 4 Ibex and a Tur...

Its a great bullet for normal to slower velocity calibers... NOT so much for high velocity ultra-mag type..as least that has been my experience..think anything above 3100fps in MV and you start to test that bullets limits..experienced it first hand in Africa shooting 180's out of my 300RUM..switched to 200gr Swift A-Frames after..worked extremely well..have used them in that rifle since, for everything from bear in NA to Eland and Zebra in Africa..

Thank you for your post

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4282

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com