Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions On Building Double Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
brennon272
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/15
Loc: Georgia
Questions On Building Double Rifles
      #310775 - 21/01/18 05:47 PM

Hello,

I have read and researched fairly extensively the process of building double rifles and am posting a few questions that I have. I am not necessarily interested in converting a shotgun into a double rifle, I am more entertained by machining my own action as I have access to a full machine shop with manual and cnc equipment as well as plenty of hand tools.

1. How should I go about getting proper dimensions for the action? I have been unable to find any blueprints, at this point I am assuming that I will have to buy a shotgun anyway just for the measurements. If this is true, what bores should I be looking for? I know some makers have as many as 8 different action sizes for their doubles. The only calibers I would be particularly interested in would be "obsolete" calibers like 318 Westley Richards or perhaps a 400 Purdey, but nothing larger than a 425 Westley Richards.

2. If I should have to use a shotgun action for dimensions, what brands should I look for? Ideally I would like a double rifle with an H&H type 7 pin lock, intercepting sears, and an Anson & Deeley type forend iron.

3. What metal(s) should I seek for the receiver, locks, forend iron, etc? I have seen claims from some makers that their receivers are "Specially designed for double rifles," I am assuming that this refers to intercepting sears, bushed firing pins, and reinforcement added on the sides of the receiver. If I am wrong or there is more to this statement please correct me on this.

4. I plan on using chopper lump barrels that I will join myself. I have only been able to find two providers of chopper lump blanks: Hambrusch/Ferlach in Austria and microfinish gun barrels ltd. If anyone knows of others it would be of great benefit to have as many sources as possible when trying to source blanks for these "obsolete" calibers.

5. I have Ellis Brown's building double rifles on shotgun action en route to me, any recommendations for other books on building doubles would be great, especially on the process of regulation.

I would like anyone who has any additional comments or tips who have undertaken such a challenge to please share them, good or bad

Thanks,
Brennon272

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
twobobbwana
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: brennon272]
      #310869 - 23/01/18 11:46 AM

brennon272,

1 & 2. Perhaps purchase a AYA #2 in 12 guage. This will give you dimensions of a Holland sidelock bar action in 12guage. That and a 20guage will give you dimensions and scaling. I would also look at the back action Holland as it is considered stronger than the bar action.

3. I'm no engineer but Dallas' book on McKay Brown mentions EN series steel for action bodies and it is able to be case hardened.

4. I think Border barrels does chopper lump barrels.

5. I would recommend Guncraft by Vic Venters. This, and Ellis' book, will give you details on jointing. Some of Vic's Shooting Sportsman articles will give you some details of hinge pin replacement and jointing.

My preference would be scaled to size Holland and Holland back action sidelocks with reinforced bodies, Southgate ejectors, extended topstrap and trigger guard..............in fact a Holland and Holland Royal "clone".

"Makers to the Trade" may also have components in various stage of completion from which you could get your dimensions from.

CNC digitizing an AYA #2 would give you a huge head start. Then you can scale the images for your different calibres. It is apparent that finishing is where the real work is and this is what makes the difference between an assembled "kit of parts" and a "bespoke" double rifle.

Just my thoughts. And remember free advice is usually worth everything you gave for it!

Good luck. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: twobobbwana]
      #310872 - 23/01/18 11:56 AM

Brennon272 - you are in luck - check out this thread.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=258838&an=0&page=0#Post258838

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

Shotgunlover
.224 member

Reged: 24/08/13
Loc: Greece
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: Daryl_S]
      #311049 - 25/01/18 09:23 PM

Have a look at this article for ideas re 3D prototyping used in double shotgun design. The action showed is entirely 3D printed in ABS plastic.

It is not wholly appliccable to sidelocks but it might contain some useful bits.

http://oplognosia.com/?p=7590

--------------------
Shotgunlover

twobobbwana
.300 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: Shotgunlover]
      #316054 - 04/05/18 10:42 AM

Brennon272,

Anything further on this ???

MotelAlpha
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/13
Loc: Colorado,USA
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: twobobbwana]
      #316809 - 26/05/18 12:10 AM

If I were you, I would spend a year with DeweyVicknair....see his lates posting

--------------------
Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: MotelAlpha]
      #316813 - 26/05/18 02:48 AM

Quote:

If I were you, I would spend a year with DeweyVicknair....see his lates posting

That is the link I posted.

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

MotelAlpha
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/13
Loc: Colorado,USA
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: Daryl_S]
      #316816 - 26/05/18 03:06 AM

So it is, I was suggesting he trot on up tp PA.

--------------------
Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Aaron_Little
.275 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Questions On Building Double Rifles [Re: MotelAlpha]
      #318951 - 10/08/18 02:10 AM

The best way is to have an idea on your intended overall weight.

Start with the barrels and work back. I think you’ll find for smaller calibers that a wall thickness around the chamber of .200”-.225” tapering down to .100” wall thickness at mid barrels adequate. The bigger calibers need more wall thickness at the breach but still quickly taper down to .100”-.125”.

Barrels need to be roughly half the gun weight.

You’ll also notice double rifle actions have a wider action bar than shotguns. That’s why the fences on double rifles aren’t as pronounced as shotgun actions. This is done for strength and to get more weight between the hands.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl, 4seventy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1209

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com