Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season
      #318720 - 02/08/18 09:32 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0818

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season [Re: Ripp]
      #318803 - 05/08/18 12:29 PM

A point they miss in the article (and it is a super significant point,) is that the "season" and regulations apply ONLY in the so-called Trophy Area. That is the area around Yellowstone Park and Teton park, as well as some of the land within a belt of about 80-90 miles of the park borders. It's not an even border so you would have to consult the regulations for the exact lines.
But it's safe to say that only about 15% to 20% of the State is "trophy area".

In the rest of the state wolves are a big varmint. Shoot on sight policy is legal and welcome. See the map here:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Wildlife-in-Wyoming/More-Wildlife/Large-Carnivore/Wolves-in-Wyoming

The parts of the state that are not inside the hunting boundary is all "open" and is "shoot on sight" land for hunting wolves every day of the year. And trust me, there are a lot of wolves in the "other land". I have had them nearly kill one of my horses about 150 yards from my house, and I am at least 90 miles away from nearest part of the "Wolf Hunting Area"

The cooperation of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department with the Feds is enough to anger most Wyoming residents. The failure to stand on States Rights (9th and 10th Amendments) and the willingness to cause the problem in the 1st place, so the State Government can generate money by offering the "solution", is the reason most Wyoming hunters and nearly all Wyoming land owners distrust and rightfully hate the government, and the Game and Fish Dept.

They were the ones that caused our wolf problem in the 1st place, and now they want to charge money to fix it.

But if they wanted to truly fix the problem (instead of using the problem as a way to enrich the coffers) it would be very easy. They need to list the wolf as a varmint with a year round season in ALL public lands, and allow them to be shot everywhere on sight, like a big coyote. When the numbers are down to a non-dangerous level, close the season. When those numbers get a bit high again, open the season again. It's simple.

But we don't see that to the level we should with wolves, and not at all with the Grizzlies.

Kudos for the policy on 80% of the land concerning wolves, but it should be 100% of the public lands. Allowing the regulation in the "trophy areas" is just a way to allow the government at both State and Federal levels to have some leverage over the issue,
and leave the problem alive, so they can change the rules to benefit themselves when and if they want to. The super high loss of other game and the loss of livestock and dangers to the folks (like me) living on the land is ignored many times if the government can make money from our problems. I do like the fact that on about 80% of the land, the law is now on our side, but leaving that 20% for the Feds and the State to hold onto is enough to make us distrustful.

Seeing the price of the licenses for Grizzlies, and the fact they Game and Fish said they were only going to issue 22 of them made a LOT of Wyoming residents furious. We need to kill off about 300 of them to start with, and the fact they they are a real menace in many areas of Northern and Western Wyoming, killing livestock and causing property damage literally every day, and mauling people several times a year, trying to keep their numbers at a level of only 22 bears less doesn't help. And trying to enrich the coffers of the State on the backs of those who bear the burden of their predations is unforgivable in my (and many others) opinion.

Ok----------- rant over.

Edited by szihn (05/08/18 12:47 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season [Re: szihn]
      #318811 - 05/08/18 06:11 PM

When the greenies and greenie influenced Govt get their hands on something they fuck it 100% of the time.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season [Re: Rule303]
      #318822 - 06/08/18 01:58 AM

May I ask in which of the US 48 lower States wolves are also established and what is their hunting status?

In France, we have an estimated population of 430 wolves, initially coming from Italy to South East France in the late 80's and now spreading out regularly throughout the country. Wolves are fully protected but the French National Forestry Commission's (ONF - Office National des Forêts) agents have an annual quota of wolves to cull (43 in 2018) in order to limit attacks on cattle in areas where wolf packs are too aggressive; under certain conditions farmers are also allowed to shoot wolves seen in the immediate vicinity of their cattle.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Wyoming-expands-wolf-hunting-season [Re: Louis]
      #318824 - 06/08/18 02:28 AM

in the lower 48 states I only know for wolf "seasons" in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. I have heard talk of seasons in Minnesota too, but I have no actual knowledge of that.

Wyoming is the ONLY state that has (mostly) a shoot-on-sight rule and that rule doesn't apply in the "trophy area" but as I said above, most of the state is outside the regulated area.

"In France, we have an estimated population of 430 wolves"

Wow......... I would not be exaggerating to say in Wyoming we have more then that within a radius of 75 miles of my home. I have been hunting, out in the field for 3-4 days and seen 10-45 of them just hunting other game. Not looking for wolves at all, but you just cant go out without seeing some. It's very uncommon for me to go elk hunting and not see some.

I took a friend out for an afternoon elk hunting last year and we were both surprised that we didn't see any wolves that afternoon. It's rare to not see any in the areas I hunt.

Ripp
.577 member

#318836 - 06/08/18 11:59 AM

Quote:

May I ask in which of the US 48 lower States wolves are also established and what is their hunting status?

In France, we have an estimated population of 430 wolves, initially coming from Italy to South East France in the late 80's and now spreading out regularly throughout the country. Wolves are fully protected but the French National Forestry Commission's (ONF - Office National des Forêts) agents have an annual quota of wolves to cull (43 in 2018) in order to limit attacks on cattle in areas where wolf packs are too aggressive; under certain conditions farmers are also allowed to shoot wolves seen in the immediate vicinity of their cattle.

Louis

https://elknetwork.com/montana-wolf-population-500-percent-higher-than-minimum-recovery-goal/

Currently, populations exist in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Per info from the Montana Fish and Game website--which can probably be taken with a grain of salt..pretty sure the number is higher..MFG has been stuck on close to the same number of griz for the past 20+ years..I have a very close friend who had 14 different griz on his game cams last spring..this is only on a 20 acre property..REMEMBER Yellowstone National Park is 2,219,789 acres ..

Have another good friend who worked for the MFG for 30 years..told me whatever number they let out, its probably double that..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (06/08/18 12:00 PM)

Louis
.375 member

#318841 - 06/08/18 05:12 PM

Thank you Szihn and Ripp.
So, if I understand well, wolf is a fully protected animal in the US apart from in Wyoming where some shooting licences are delivered; is this correct?
Louis

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#318844 - 06/08/18 10:53 PM

Quote:

Thank you Szihn and Ripp.
So, if I understand well, wolf is a fully protected animal in the US apart from in Wyoming where some shooting licences are delivered; is this correct?
Louis

NO...NOT CORRECT...

There is a season in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho..not sure about the other states..

Wyoming is merely planning on expanding their season..

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

#318846 - 07/08/18 01:32 AM

Thank you.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#318868 - 07/08/18 11:07 PM

Read last night that Minnesota and Wisconsin have limited wolf hunting seasons as well. Alaska has always had a wolf season with an estimated number of over 11,000 in Alaska alone

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

#318900 - 08/08/18 06:03 PM

Thank you Ripp.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com