Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57
      #318276 - 19/07/18 10:19 PM

Just bought this very good condition original Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57. It is basically a Mauser copy of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine. I once owned a Model S, but it was an 8mm and it did not have double set triggers. Even though the Model S is supposedly the rarer of the two Mauser carbines (according to Jon Speed's Mauser Sporter book), I much prefer the the Model M, especially in 7x57 and especially with DST.

Edited by rpeck (19/07/18 10:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: rpeck]
      #318278 - 19/07/18 11:24 PM

Congratulations on your very smart rifle that looks to be in mint condition. Which year was it manufactured; do you intend to have it scoped?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: Louis]
      #318281 - 20/07/18 01:29 AM

As I answered to a similar question here http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=313042&an=0&page=1#Post313042 :
If you go by Jon Speed's books, the A (English style) and M models came after the B and S styles. Going by interwar German catalogs, the model S was the standard offering in Germany, while the M was predominantly made for export, available on special order only, just like the A and "African model" types. So you see S types much more often than M types here in Germany, though all Mauser, Oberndorf, prewar commercial rifles are rare here. IMHO there were many more S Stutzen made originally than the M type export model. But then came 1945 and aftermaths. Note, Jon wrote:
"It is not always easy to locate a REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE of the Model S"
Survival rate is the cause here. While most Mausers, exported pre-WW2 to Britain, USA, Scandinavia and elsewhere survived the ravages of time quite unmolested, gun ownership in Germany was a crime, punishable by death, in Germany from 1945 -1950. All firearms had to be surrendred immediately to the Allies. Most guns were destroyed, some "liberated" and now found in the USA and elsewhere. Guns that remained in Germany were hidden away in the most unlikely places with often adverse storage conditions. I even know some guns that were buried in a grave, some inches above a coffin. When gun ownership became more or less legal five years later, such hidden guns were retrieved from hideouts. If not rusted and rotten beyond repair, they were repaired to "useable" by some means, many restocked or rebarreled with an ex-miltary barrel. Sometimes the scopes had survived under better storage conditions and could be put back on the rifles. Others were mounted again with any old scope available and makeshift claw mounts. The few rifles that survived the five post-war years in decent shape were now used for 60 years, often remounted with "modern" scopes and mounts. Remember, the true commercial Mausers were appreciated here just as usable rifles, until American books by Olson, Womack and Speed appeared. So most commercial Mausers you find now in Germany are either quite sorry examples with rust pitting and discolored stocks, refinished post-war, or reimports from other countries, often Sweden.
In all, Germany is likely the worst place to look for a decent pre-war Mauser rifle, especially a M or A. As customers in many other countries preferred the looks of the more expensive M type over the S, there may be the false impression that the M type is more frequent than the S one.
So it depends on the country you are looking from.
It's the same story with post-war Mannlicher – Schoenauers: American, Australian and NZ collectors claim the models MC, MCA to be quite common, while the GK and NO models are very rare, the special order NOs nearly unseen. The other way around here in Germany: GKs are the most common. There are dozens of GKs, most often rifles in 7x64, on the market at any time, usually claw mounted with German 6x scopes. Even "Magnum" GKs in 8x68 or 6.5x68 are found quite often. NOs are sometimes seen here. But I have noticed just a handfull of MCs and MCAs here in Germany. None at all mounted with the Steyr factory swing mount.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: kuduae]
      #318286 - 20/07/18 06:26 AM

Lovely little pick up there mate - certainly made to carry & hunt hard!
Impressive find!

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #318327 - 21/07/18 12:50 PM

Very nice rpeck. A beautiful rifle.

I have a model M also but in .30-'06. It has a Gerard model K scope mounted with a "Berliner Montage" or "Reichswehr Montage" mounting system. The drawback to this mounting system is that with the scope removed they block the view of the iron sights. Fortunately the scope is in good usable condition.

My rifle has the word Germany on the magazine floor plate so between the Germany labeling and the .30-'06 caliber I believe this rifle was made specifically for export to the US.

Thank you for posting photos and enjoy your rifle.

Vlad

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: Vladymere]
      #318340 - 22/07/18 08:10 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

rpeck

#318378 - 23/07/18 11:54 PM

Quote:

Very nice rpeck. A beautiful rifle.

I have a model M also but in .30-'06. It has a Gerard model K scope mounted with a "Berliner Montage" or "Reichswehr Montage" mounting system. The drawback to this mounting system is that with the scope removed they block the view of the iron sights. Fortunately the scope is in good usable condition.

My rifle has the word Germany on the magazine floor plate so between the Germany labeling and the .30-'06 caliber I believe this rifle was made specifically for export to the US.

Thank you for posting photos and enjoy your rifle.

Vlad

Any photos of your Model M?

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #318388 - 24/07/18 05:55 AM

rpeck,

See this posting for photos of my model M. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post278551

Vlad

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #318392 - 24/07/18 08:29 AM

I must say, if I were to have a TypeM, one such as yours in 7X57 would be perfect.
Beautiful rifle there rpeck!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: Huvius]
      #318416 - 26/07/18 12:47 AM

Nice rifle, but not original. The bolt stem looks as though it has been rounded, the bolt handle has been modified (thinned and bent or replaced) The rear bridge has been stippled and the guide (hump) for stripper clips has been ground flat? In my mind this all spells previously mounted scope bases and modification of bolt to clear the scope, and modifications (stippling of rear bridge) to cover up the fact. Just my opinion.

rpeck

Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #318494 - 28/07/18 02:39 AM

Quote:

Nice rifle, but not original. The bolt stem looks as though it has been rounded, the bolt handle has been modified (thinned and bent or replaced) The rear bridge has been stippled and the guide (hump) for stripper clips has been ground flat? In my mind this all spells previously mounted scope bases and modification of bolt to clear the scope, and modifications (stippling of rear bridge) to cover up the fact. Just my opinion.

Indeed..."nice", but just not nice enough...and after a thorough examination the rifle has been returned to the agreeable seller for a full refund.

Edited by rpeck (28/07/18 03:00 AM)

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
      #318521 - 29/07/18 01:25 AM

Lucky, I think you "Dodged a bullet" on this deal.

rpeck

Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #318542 - 29/07/18 11:05 AM

Yes, but it was bought from a very reliable dealer (with whom I have dealt before) and they give a 30 day examination/return period (no questions asked). So it wasn't a problem arranging the return and refund. Back to looking for a good Model M.

Edited by rpeck (29/07/18 11:08 AM)

colonelc
.224 member

Reged: 26/11/17
Loc: United States
      #320823 - 21/10/18 02:06 AM

Hello Rpeck,
I am still looking for a buyer for this model M in 6.5 x 54. It is a very clean and original rifle. Here's a link to discussion and pictures on Gunboards: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?332929-Pre-war-mauser-oberndorf-model-98-type-m-6-5-x-54
And further discussion in this forum: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....&PHPSESSID=
If you'd like to have a look at it, I'm in North Carolina.
David

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Model M in 7x57 [Re: colonelc]
      #320843 - 21/10/18 02:09 PM

Here is my Model M, also in .30-'06, after the "treatment" by Griffin & Howe:

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #320847 - 21/10/18 04:37 PM

Quote:

It is basically a Mauser copy of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine.

From the 1939 Stoeger Catalog:

According to Stoeger, they were the sole authorized importer to the U.S. of factory new 'Genuine Mauser' rifles and carbines at the time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com