Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification
      #317835 - 07/07/18 12:42 AM

This rifle appears to be a post-war F. W. Heym (7x64) built on an FN Mauser 98 action. However, the receiver is marked "Made in Germany". Should I take this to mean that the rifle was made in Germany (which I understand) ...or that the receiver was made in Germany (which I do not understand)? It has a solid left receiver wall with no thumb cut out and is a C-ring with only one slot milled out for the extractor. The receiver does not have many markings on it, except for a serial number (on left side above the stock line and on right side below the stock line) plus German proof marks on receiver and barrel. It would be much easier to identify if it had a bolt, which it does not. The previous owner lost the bolt long ago, which is why I paid next to nothing for the rifle. However, since it is an F. W. Heym, with double set triggers and a folding floorplate, a drilled and tapped receiver, a great rear sight, 90% perfect blue, and an excellent bore it seems right that I should try to get it shooting again, rather than part it out. It seems the original owner lost the bolt before he could get much shooting done.

I know a lot of Mauser 98 bolts can be made to fit but I would like to get one that fits reasonably well (and don't tell me to order one from USA suppliers, they will not ship rifle bolts to Canada) and therefore I would like to correctly identify the receiver. If it is indeed an FN Mauser 98 then I will probably buy a cheap beater FN Mauser 98 (plenty to choose from in Canada) and salvage the bolt.

I have attached the following photos in case they can provide a clue to origin of the receiver.

I am still assuming its an FN Mauser 98 bolt and the "Made in Germany" stamp on the receiver refers to the construction of the entire rifle and not just the receiver.

Edited by rpeck (07/07/18 02:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: rpeck]
      #317840 - 07/07/18 02:31 AM

Food for thought: (1) Why not asking Heym directly, they are still trading, they have a well constructed website, and I am sure you would get the correct information directly from the horse's mouth? (2) Your rifle is marked 'Made in Germany', so it may be even be younger that you think as if built between after WW2 and 1990 (BDR & DDR reunification) it should either have been marked 'Made in Western Germany' or 'Made in the DDR' (note sure about that one) ?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: Louis]
      #317841 - 07/07/18 02:52 AM

Heym made rifles based on early Yugoslavian Zastava actions in the early 1960's. I know some were imported to the US and sold by Montgomery Ward. All I've seen were based on an intermediate length action that had been modified for 30-06 length cartridges. The trigger guard and floorplate on yours looks identical to what I've seen. What is the distance between guard screws on your action? Also, I don't think the FN commercial actions were C ring.

Edited by thirdbite (07/07/18 04:29 AM)

TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: thirdbite]
      #317843 - 07/07/18 04:29 AM

Heym has made rifles on various actions over the years - including Rugers from the USA. I know of one gentleman who wrote them to ask if they ever used Brno made ZG 47 receivers for any of their bolt rifles to which they replied - "Nein". I was able to produce pictures of two such rifles clearly marked Heym. Point made is don't put too much faith in their answers.

If you had access to several Mauser bolts, the chances are that one of them would headspace correctly.

JC

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: TexasJohn]
      #317844 - 07/07/18 05:36 AM

in any case Heym was using FN actions in the 1950s

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

rpeck

#317847 - 07/07/18 07:57 AM

Quote:

Heym made rifles based on early Yugoslavian Zastava actions in the early 1960's. I know some were imported to the US and sold by Montgomery Ward. All I've seen were based on an intermediate length action that had been modified for 30-06 length cartridges. The trigger guard and floorplate on yours looks identical to what I've seen. What is the distance between guard screws on your action? Also, I don't think the FN commercial actions were C ring.

Quote:

in any case Heym was using FN actions in the 1950s

So the books say...however I had forgotten about Zastava...

Distance between guard screws (center to center) is approx. 7 9/16 in.

thirdbite
.224 member

#317849 - 07/07/18 08:13 AM

As I thought, that distance would make it an intermediate action that's been opened up to fit the longer cartridge. I believe they were produced by Zastava, likely using acquired FN machinery that had been used to make the 1924 military FN. The actions were modified for no thumbcut, no clip feed and the bolt handle was modified similar to commercial FN with flat bottom. Zastava also produced a similar action that had a mannlicher bolt handle (V550 or V500?) and was sold by a company in California in the 1960's. A regular standard length bolt will not fit. A Yugo 48 bolt may fit as it was, I believe, basically the same action.
I am still not sure that Heym used FN actions. I've read comments by people suggesting they did, but their description leads me to believe in most cases they are describing Zastava actions that look like
FN actions. I am almost certain that FN commercial actions were all H ring, not C ring as made by Zastava. I'd really like to see a picture of a Belgian FN marked Heym as well as a ZG47 Heym.

Edited by thirdbite (07/07/18 09:48 AM)

rpeck

#317854 - 07/07/18 10:06 AM

"I am almost certain that FN commercial actions were all H ring, not C ring as made by Zastava"

I once owned an early post-war Husqvarna 30-06 on an obvious FN Mauser 98 that was a C-ring. I owned numerous of these and all the others were milled on both sides.

Anyway, glad for the info. and I believe you are correct about it being an intermediate length action by Zastava, opened up for the 7x64. It seems that it will be harder to find a bolt than I first imagined and I will now likely just part out the rifle rather than attempting a restoration.

thirdbite
.224 member

#317855 - 07/07/18 10:40 AM

Husqvarna 98 FN actions I've seen that are C ring were based on the military FN action - not the commercial H ring FN introduced in 1948 that were used for the later Husqvarna rifles. They had thumb cuts, clip slots, military type floorplate release, two stage trigger and regular Mauser wing safety. These were the model 640 and were made prewar and early postwar, I think. The model 640 was also made on small ring 96 actions without the thumbcut and commercial 98 actions without the thumbcut. I've also read that these were actually produced by Husqvarna under some arrangement with FN, but I don't know if that is correct. I didn't think they had FN marking or Belgian proof, but could be wrong.

Edited by thirdbite (07/07/18 12:00 PM)

metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
      #317890 - 08/07/18 09:12 PM

Thirdbite, the first FN commercial actions were C ring. They were solid left wall with a small charger hump and clip slot, they are quite rare. Regards.

Jaguarhunter
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/11
Loc: Germany
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: metal]
      #317894 - 08/07/18 11:19 PM

Can you post an complete picture of the rifle, high quality and both sides.
Then I can look in the (old) catalogs.

On the first look:
It is made in the 1950tys or 60tys, special order (small amount) for the US market.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: Jaguarhunter]
      #317919 - 10/07/18 12:18 AM

I have an early Husqvarna m98 640 action with thumb cut and charger clip. Itīs C-ring. My SAKO High Power from 1950īs has solid wall FN Civil action with H-ring.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

rpeck

Re: Heym Mauser 98 receiver identification [Re: Igorrock]
      #318389 - 24/07/18 07:37 AM

sold it

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4886

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com