Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275?
      #316167 - 07/05/18 03:56 AM

Gentlemen,

I am soliciting some general options here, and am just curious why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275 so much? Obvisliouy it is a caliber with tons of history and romance, but I would like to hear some opinions of it, I have a chance to trade for a very nice one.

Thank you

Edited by Gundog01 (07/05/18 04:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: Gundog01]
      #316168 - 07/05/18 05:12 AM

Hi Gundog,

The Rigby Mauser .275, made in the golden era when Rigby was a sole Mauser Agent in England, was really a complete Mauser barreled action bought by Rigby even with the sights already regulated at Mauser. The Rigby company made the stock and some refinements. The action of these real Rigbys, was one of the Intermediate lenght ones. The same as the Turkish 1903, Paraguayan 1907 and Peruvian 1909.
All these Rigby rifles were made to use. No engraving or any other "extra finish" of any kind. The form and, first of all, function, was PERFECT. As was the general balance, with the weight "between the hands", a trade mark of most of the fine British rifles.
I think no more, nor less, are the reasons to make this rifle a really special thing. Made for hunting!

Good luck and go for the trade!!!!

PH

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #316173 - 07/05/18 08:19 AM

Quote:

Hi Gundog,

The Rigby Mauser .275, made in the golden era when Rigby was a sole Mauser Agent in England, was really a complete Mauser barreled action bought by Rigby even with the sights already regulated at Mauser. The Rigby company made the stock and some refinements. The action of these real Rigbys, was one of the Intermediate lenght ones. The same as the Turkish 1903, Paraguayan 1907 and Peruvian 1909.
All these Rigby rifles were made to use. No engraving or any other "extra finish" of any kind. The form and, first of all, function, was PERFECT. As was the general balance, with the weight "between the hands", a trade mark of most of the fine British rifles.
I think no more, nor less, are the reasons to make this rifle a really special thing. Made for hunting!

Good luck and go for the trade!!!!

PH

AGree with the above..while I have never shot one, there was one at our local gun show a couple years back..it was an incredible handling rifle.. Think you will not be disappointed.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #316174 - 07/05/18 08:23 AM

I second what PatagonHunter said.

There are two historically defining people who made the 275 Rigby world renowned. W Bell with his Elephant hunting and Jim Corbett in India. I believe it was still very popular before these gents went into print.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: Rule303]
      #316180 - 07/05/18 09:38 AM

Whats not to like?

I don't have one any more. Brother-in-Law beat me out of the one I had (98 Mauser made by me, In Rigby style) but he thinks it's outstanding, and never has had a single bad thing to say about it. It's his "only big gun" and he doesn't think he ever will need anything else. Between a Remington 22-250 and the Mauser in 7X57 he is pretty much set for his life. He's a rancher and doesn't hunt out of state, and is not a "gun-buff", but loves his 2 rifles and sees no reason to get anything else.......... ever. He buys factory WW 22-250 rounds, and every 10 years or so he asks me to reload his 7X57 brass. I load them with the 160 Gr Nosler partitions and he shoots every thing with those from coyotes to elk. (only 1 elk so far) He's also killed cattle and horses with it on the ranch.

I owned it for a few years and it worked on every animal I ever shot, and I never had to shoot twice.

In all fairness that was only 6 animals, but I respect the 7X57 (by it's German, Irish or English name)very much. I used 160 and 175 grain bullets.

My kills, other then a few coyotes, were 4 nice buck mule deer and 2 elk.
3 deer with 160 grain Nosler partitions. One deer and one elk with 175 Gr Nosler Partitions, and one elk with 175 Grain Hornady Round Nose.

Can't say a bad thing about the gun or the round.

Edited by szihn (07/05/18 09:40 AM)

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: szihn]
      #316192 - 07/05/18 08:43 PM

Hello Szihn,

Agree on your bullet choices !!!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #316193 - 07/05/18 08:58 PM

I had a custom 7x57 built. Sold it when the knee went bad.

Lovely cartridge. Easy to shoot well due to its lack of recoil. Perfect for Red Deer and game up to 100kg.

It has had a lot of press and I'm still not convinced ( based on my own experience ) it is as capable on larger game as some believe.

For a traditional four gun battery to hunt the world I would put it here:
.220 Swift, 7x57, 9.3x62 then .416 Rigby.

I'd feel a more versatile line up would be:
.243W, .300 mag, 9.3/375H&H and .400+

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: tophet1]
      #316409 - 15/05/18 10:19 PM

I do not have one. One day I might and hope to.

The 7x57mm or .275 Rigby is a classic. Used and owned by men in the great old days, and effective then, more so effective today.

A no nonsense cartridge. Mild, by modern standards some claim to be "weak", ignorantly probably due to using weak factory loadings designed for very old early rifles and legal liability as a result.

Classic, like a .30-06, 6.5x54 MS, a .22 Hornet, and many other cartridges.

Funny how cartridges which worked well and killed well a hundred years ago are now "obsolete" and no longer work ...

A classic in a nice Mauser 98 rifle.

Some of these old classics, if owned, probably mean the "magnums" would gather more dust in the safes ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: NitroX]
      #317145 - 08/06/18 02:33 AM

Its one of those very nicely balanced cartridges that just works. With mine I can just about any ammo and it puts it all into a sub 2" group at 100. With chosen ammo its 3 shots touching.

Shoot it at any game and it falls over dead without a lot of drama or fuss, and just using plain old cup and core soft points. And probably less kick than my 243 - certainly not as snappy. Mine is a Rigby built in the 1970's - commercial Mauser action and a fairly thick stubby barrel and a Monte Carlo style stock, mounted with a 3-9x36 Swarovski Nova Scope. Only downside is the bolt handle is on the right side.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Why do you like the Rigby Mauser in .275? [Re: HeymSR20]
      #317150 - 08/06/18 06:52 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Gundog01, I learnt a long time ago (in a Galaxy Far Far Away....), that the worse thing you can say in life is "Gee I Wish"!
If all the bills are paid, there's food in the pantry, etc, etc... it's a No Brainer, as you will be buying a piece of history.

I'd like one in .275 and 9.3x62........ and .375 H&H of course.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3826

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com