Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1959 Model GK

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
RisingBite
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/18
Loc: Queensland
1959 Model GK
      #316005 - 03/05/18 05:21 PM

Gentlemen, greetings. My first ever post here and a new member. Recently I acquired a 1959 GK, chambered 7x64, which happens to be my favorite cartridge. The rifle came by way of a very good mate who has a knack of finding these things.
The rifle overall is in VG condition, bore is a tad shy of new.A few marks upon the stock, probably from careless storage.
The scope is a Hensoldt Diavari 1.5-6x36, with a 14mm dovetail rail, to which is attached AKAH Claw mounts.Double front claw, single rear with windage adjustment.Optically, the scope is equal to if not better than the three Kahles scopes I have, perhaps my myopia is worse than I thought but the zeilfernrohr, is exquisite.Typical tapered pickets reticle, I am not sure of the Austrian/German description or model.
I emailed Hensoldt, hoping they might be able to date the scope via the serial number and received a rather curious response.Quote;

Dear Mr.H,
many thanks for your e-mail.
The device in question, a telescopic sight Diavari 1,5-6x42 is a product from Zeiss.
We asked by Zeiss for the serial number and they told us, that they cannot find anything.
Sorry, but in this case we cannot help you.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards.

Gentlemen, Is it possible Ziess made Hensoldt scopes, personally I think not. I have a number of magazines from the 1950's and 60's that have advertisements for Hensoldt and the add describes the scope I have perfectly. I would hazard a guess and say the scope is period correct but it would be nice to date it.

yours in appreciation
Mike.

I will of course post some pictures of the 1959 GK as soon as I figure out the routine

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: 1959 Model GK [Re: RisingBite]
      #316008 - 03/05/18 06:27 PM

Maybe this helps you to post fotos but I recommend you to use any other photo host than Photobucket:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....ge=0#Post258812

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
Re: 1959 Model GK [Re: Igorrock]
      #316040 - 04/05/18 12:02 AM

Welcome, RisingBite!

By the time your Hensoldt Scope was made, the brand "Hensoldt" was owned by Zeiss. By the way, Hensoldt was part of the Zeiss group since the '30...! later in the late '60, the same scope changed the name to Zeiss without any other change. The same was with the same period Diatal and Diasta scope fixed magnifications. They were made in 2 3/4x20, 4x32, 6x42 and 8x52. I have one Hensoldt Diasta D 4x32 Ret 4 original, a Zeiss Diatal DA 4x32 Ret 1, esentially the same scope, both with non-centered reticles (as the H Diavari) and a Zeiss Diatal ZA T* 4x32 Ret 4. This late one ZA serie were the first centered reticle Zeiss scopes, started early in the '80. May be the best manufactured Zeiss scopes ever made, IMHO.
I had for some time, 6 or 7 year, a Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK (made in 1964) rifle (60 cm barrel lenght) in 7X64 and, also, with the same scope, the EXQUISITE Hensoldt Diavari 1,5-6x36 with the great reticle Nr. 1 Diavary, also known later as Nr. 11 reticle. In my rifle, the mount was a Gastinne-Renette custom made lateral mount. With a rotary system. Great piece also, made by a gunsmith who new its trade! I sold the rifle because someone made me an offer that cannot be refused....
A very well made rifle. Perhaps the best made factory rifle I ever had.
As you said, optically, this Hensoldt Diavari is one of the better scopes I have had. And its mechanics are also as good, I think better, than most of the newer scopes. Period. The only thing it is inferior is in the sealing. But with a little care, it is not a big issue.
Enjoy your fine rifle/scope !!

PH

Edited by PatagonHunter (04/05/18 12:13 AM)

RisingBite
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/18
Loc: Queensland
Re: 1959 Model GK [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #316062 - 04/05/18 04:09 PM

PH, many thanks exactly the info I was looking for. I have decided that I will keep an eye open for more early Hensoldt/Zeiss scopes, whilst I really like my Kahles scopes, compared to this Hensoldt, the Kahles seem a little less robust. The Hensoldt 1.5-6x36 is quite a heavy scope for its size but when fitted to the rifle, it balances very nicely.

regards
Mike.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com