Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Second Mauser from Auction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
TN_Longhunter
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: Lebanon, TN, USA
Second Mauser from Auction
      #315766 - 28/04/18 10:29 AM

Picked up two sporterized Mausers (other is subject thread “Caliber Question”) from an auction. Placed low bid and got the pair. Travel has kept me from playing with them, but at home for a while and started to really give them a good look. This one was listed as an 8mm but the bore is .277. Haven't had a chance to do a chamber cast but that will be high on the list. It is a cock on closing action, so not a 98. Double set triggers, full rib on barrel, octagon to round barrel, folding leaf rear sight. Nice looking rifle and well made. As this is outside of my expertise, I toss this out to the Pro's to help me. Photos of all markings (very few) are included. Let me know if you need more or have any questions that might help with IDing this rifle.
[image]Sporter 277 by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image]
[image]Bottom Barrel Markings by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image]
[image]Receiver Markings by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Second Mauser from Auction [Re: TN_Longhunter]
      #315780 - 28/04/18 05:56 PM

The CROWN – crownN proofmarks with the gauge number 248, butwithout date or ledger number show the rifle was proofed by the Suhl proofhouse before 1912, using the "4000 atm Special Proof Powder". The gauge number 248 stands for a bore/land (not groove/bullet) diameter from 6.75 to 6.99 mm = .266" - .275". This, combined with the time span and the service load marking 2.5 g = 38.6 gr Gewehr – Blättchen- Pulver = (military) rifle flake powder , points to the 7x57 aka 7mm Mauser aka 275 Rigby. Suhl made barrels then were often bored quite tight, sometimes even below the later, 1929 on, minimum standards.
I can not positively identify F.A.K., as there are too many possibilities. It may stand for F.A.Klett, a barrelmaker, or Fritz Albert Kessler, or someone else then activein Suhl.
To further identify the Mauser action, M93 – M96, please post another right side photo of the action with the bolt open.
The scope mount bases are for the claw mount variation once made by Albert Wilhelm Triebel, Suhl.

TN_Longhunter
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: Lebanon, TN, USA
Re: Second Mauser from Auction [Re: kuduae]
      #315783 - 28/04/18 10:37 PM

Kuduae,

You are a great source. Thanks for the information that would take me hours if not days to track down. The photo requested is below. I expected a 93 action as just not right for a 96, but then my experience with 96s is with military Swedes. Both of this rifles that I'm posting on are really nice sporters. With my background in muzzleloaders I really like the octagon to round barrels, double set triggers and the way they handle.

I guess a quick check on barrel diameter was measuring lands instead of grooves. Will do a chamber cast to insure a 7x57. My favorite caliber.

[image]Mauser Action by Donald Spires, on Flickr[/image]

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Second Mauser from Auction [Re: TN_Longhunter]
      #315794 - 29/04/18 12:44 AM

Definitely a fun gun to shoot and hunt with.
.277" would be slightly larger normal dia. for a Euro 7mm., woudn't it? I only say this since I've usually measured rifling there as typically .0045" to .0055" deep per side.
Of course, the groove diameter could also be slightly oversize & rifling depth again, normal.
Either/or - NICE rifle!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Second Mauser from Auction [Re: DarylS]
      #315816 - 29/04/18 03:44 PM

It's a 93 action. Ludwig Loewe / DWM made M93 actions were also used by Suhl gunmakers in making the famous 7x57 "Plezier Mausers" at the time of the Second Boer War, 1899 – 1902. The M93 action was a quite modern action then. So I tend to fate the rifle to the first years of the 20th century, 1900 - 1905. The scope mounts were added later, most likely in the 1920s - 30s.
Rifle bore dimensions were not standardized before 1926. Each barrelmaker bored and rifled his barrels to the dimensions he felt to be best for the cartridge intended. In older civilian barrels you often find differences in bore size, groove numbers, depth and shapes.

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Second Mauser from Auction [Re: kuduae]
      #315840 - 30/04/18 06:36 AM

That rifle is a beauty!

Vlad

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3044

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com