Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement
      #315674 - 26/04/18 11:22 PM

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/arti...m_campaign=0418

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: Ripp]
      #315681 - 27/04/18 01:45 AM

Interesting - I felt quite safe and prepared for just about anything, with my 4" M29. 2 speed loaders in a pocket.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: DarylS]
      #315704 - 27/04/18 07:45 AM

Quote:

Interesting - I felt quite safe and prepared for just about anything, with my 4" M29. 2 speed loaders in a pocket.

I really like the high capacity 9mm Glocks....BUT, in the case mentioned above, I feel you were actually better prepared for a case like what happened this week in Toronto..think that M29 would work much more effectively in stopping a crazy prick in a van... IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #315711 - 27/04/18 08:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I really like the high capacity 9mm Glocks....BUT, in the case mentioned above, I feel you were actually better prepared for a case like what happened this week in Toronto..think that M29 would work much more effectively in stopping a crazy prick in a van... IMHO..

Ripp

The vehicle as a murder weapon is a good reason for police to patrol with a rifle in my opinion. Certainly a reason for heavier projectiles in a pistol, better chance of getting through the windscreen or door.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: Rule303]
      #315803 - 29/04/18 09:07 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp.
The Glocks may be popular with others but I really like my "Other Austrian", the Steyr L9 A1.

Daryl, as Ripp and Rule303 suggested, both you your .44 would have been a handy asset in Toronto recently.

I prepped my new L9 A1 a couple of weeks back, and finally got to the range last weekend (for an IPSC shoot).
For a firearm that I had never fired before (well, not since the last one was confiscated from me by "our" Gubbamint, 16 years ago), I was over the moon happy with the new one!
Pepper Poppers and plates dropped after the first shot and most of the paper targets, had 1xAlpha 1xCharlie on them (or better, plus one target, that had 1xAlpha 1xDelta), on a 20+ shot movement course.
What a great pistol, they deserve to be more popular.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: Homer]
      #315810 - 29/04/18 12:15 PM

I had 2 loads that shot closely. 3- 21.5gr. 240 and 295gr. SWC's, spaced with 3-180gr. Sierra JHCavities with 26.0gr. 2400.

The 250s I found, would pen. the fender skirts of a 1956 Buick and break the water jacket and most times, crack the block.
The 180's would do the same and more damage to cylinder walls I finally found, as well as being best as penning the trunk, back seat cross support, then rear seat, front seat - 1/2" plywood human silhouette, pen the dash and kill the carburetor, all with one shot. The 250's gave me 5/6 hits on the ram silhouette at 300 meters from a sitting, back rest position. They could not be beat for long range work. We had (my bro and I) lots of penetration fun testing on wrecked demolition cars in the windshields and the silhouettes behind them were easy for straight line penetrations with either choice of ammo. Other car tests were done with an original .45/75 model 76 Winchester - dang - he should have kept that one, along with an original .45 2.4" Sharps model 74 in good shape. We use 525gr. RN's from my .45/70 mould in it and had a blast on cars - you guys gotta try that sometime - give you new faith in "heavy" cast bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: Homer]
      #315827 - 29/04/18 11:08 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp.
The Glocks may be popular with others but I really like my "Other Austrian", the Steyr L9 A1.

What a great pistol, they deserve to be more popular.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I will have to give one of those Steyr's a try some time..

I am so comfortable with the Glocks for a concealed carry (now have 8 of them) .but also really like the H&K VP9..maybe they will have one for me to try at the new indoor shooting range..will check

Daryl,, that is some really really good shooting...I hav never shot that well with a revolver..practice with the Glocks we are normally 7-25 yards..and do some practicing at 50 and 75 for grins ..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#315831 - 30/04/18 01:31 AM

I don't think the autos are up to it, however I have done some 'good work', as Elmer would have called it, at 100 meters (local range) with a 1911. I didn't try it further out for some reason.

On the other hand, there are lots of wheel guns that work well at the longer ranges.

About all of my guys (riot & perimeter squads) could easily hit the 8" plates we set up at 100yards, standing free hand and DA only. We had 6" model 10's & shot factory Blaser 158 SWC's only - aluminum case for practice and 158SWC Federal for issue on the job. Shot lots of feral cats with those while on "prowl shift" through winter and summer.

I bought my first 4" model 29 after talking with the late Elmer Keith on the phone.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Glock-remains-top-choice-for-law-enforcement [Re: DarylS]
      #315863 - 30/04/18 11:27 PM

saw this today..

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buz...er-23487?page=2

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3612

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com