Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Automobiles, Bicycles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Steyr Automobiles, Bicycles [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #314640 - 29/03/18 08:14 AM

Very good !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Steyr Automobiles, Bicycles [Re: 500Boswell]
      #314641 - 29/03/18 08:39 AM

very good articles and information. Thanks for posting.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Steyr Automobiles, Bicycles [Re: 500Boswell]
      #314669 - 29/03/18 08:51 PM

Quote:

Pinzgauers imo suffer from too narrow width and the Centre back bone ''chassis'' makes them susceptible to rollover easily ,lack of articulation ,apart from that good ,video on you tube of one constantly rolling over ,and doing a complete 360 ,but then driving off again

I've wondered about the independent suspension on the Pinagauer. I considered buying one when I lived in Northern Arizona. There was a guy near Payson who imported, rebuilt, and sold them. At the time I often enjoyed playing with my old Willys Jeeps in the rocky terrain of Ma Nature's sandbox (rather like NASA images of Mars).

The Willys were tipsy enough with their narrow wheelbase (good for slipping between large boulders and through narrow ravines) and I wore the 6X16 military 'skinny' NDT tires.

I did manage to flip my stock '48 (no rollbar, windshield down) one day while being stupid (I have it on video tape...), but got out of it's way. Had I been belted in I'd have been crushed. As it was I went back to town for a buddy's truck, strapped it over and filled the fluids, drove 'er back to town using the bent steering column as a tiller (the steering wheel was destroyed).

Here's a military training film of a M151 flipping violently (at 1:45) when hitting a ramp at 15 miles per hour (24Kph). They were also known to flip violently if one hit a bump while turning. The wheel would tuck under at an angle and trip the vehicle over as it landed. At 4:44 in the video, they address this fact. The flip at 11:00 is pretty spectacular.
YouTube

That (concern regarding lawsuits) is why very few M151 vehicles were sold to the public as surplus. When I went to some DRMO auctions at Fort Ord in the late 80s, all M151s offered for sale had been torch cut into cubes of about 3 feet. The same was done to surplus HMMWV ('Humm Vee')vehicles due to contractual obligations with General Motors.

Here's another vid:
YouTube

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6382

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com