Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First experience with DR.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Les_Staley
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/18
Loc: Idaho panhandle
First experience with DR.
      #314212 - 20/03/18 02:32 PM

Lots of fun! Found a like new Baikal 30-06 at gunshow in Lewiston Idaho a couple weekends back. Tried a couple of factory loads, Winchester 180 RN factory's, and some of my own hand loads 150 gr Hornadys with 49 gr of IMR4064. A load I use in the M1 Garand. It especially liked my M1 loads, grouping both barrels within a 2" circle at 50 yds and double that at 100. Deer killing accuracy. Now I'm working on finding a cast bullet load that would regulate somewhere, sometime. I'm using a powder coated 186 gas checked Lee sized at 314. Both barrels are trying to group but are crossing about 4" at 50 yds. First load is 16 gr of Alliant 2400. Will load up 10 each of 18 gr, and 20 gr. See what happens.. Don't want to monkey with the adjustment between the barrels, as it does great with the 150 gr M1 load. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks, and it's nice to be here. Have learned a lot reading here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: First experience with DR. [Re: Les_Staley]
      #314231 - 21/03/18 01:44 AM

You seem to be off to a good start and have hunting loads already!
Congratulations!

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: First experience with DR. [Re: crshelton]
      #314235 - 21/03/18 02:07 AM

Welcome to Nitro Express!

Keep running your new rifle.
Take notes.
Save targets.
File your photos and notes in a folder on your desktop.
Share your experiences here and have fun with it!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: First experience with DR. [Re: tinker]
      #314236 - 21/03/18 03:09 AM

If your loads are crossing than increasing the powder will make them cross more. Just a suggestion try decreasing your charge or go to heaver bullets.

Les_Staley
.224 member

Re: First experience with DR. [Re: Wayne59]
      #314246 - 21/03/18 04:23 AM

I appreciate the tip, Wayne59. Will try some more loads and keep you guys apprised of the results.

Les_Staley
.224 member

#314271 - 21/03/18 12:47 PM

Wayne was right. Increase in powder charge made her more cross eyed ! I started with the lowest load listed for 2400 . Would like to develope a cast bullet load. I've got lots of different powders, and could buy a mould for a heavier bullet. Any body been there ahead of me? Thanks

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #314274 - 21/03/18 01:12 PM

Quote:

Wayne was right. Increase in powder charge made her more cross eyed ! I started with the lowest load listed for 2400 . Would like to develope a cast bullet load. I've got lots of different powders, and could buy a mould for a heavier bullet. Any body been there ahead of me? Thanks

You’re on the right path... Slow the bullets down and reduce the crossing effect. Sometimes shifting bullet weight will help, and sometimes it will produce other anomalies like shooting to higher vs lower POI. You wont know till you try!

Stongly recommend that you pick up a copy of Graeme Wright’s “Shooting the British Double Rifle”. It goes into painstaking detail about tuning a double with load variations.

You will have tremedous fun on this journey!!!!! It is highly addictive!!!!!!

Les_Staley
.224 member

Re: First experience with DR. [Re: Postman]
      #314276 - 21/03/18 02:47 PM

You're right about the fun factor. It's a hoot to shoot! I shot four of the M1 loads this afternoon, two from each barrel. Two groups less than a bullet width apart and total 4 shots under two inches. I will not monkey with the pressure wheel that changes regulation!! I'm using a Ultradot micro on the rail (2moa dot). It's been a long time since I had this much fun shooting!
I'll check on Amazon for the book. Thanks

Edited by Les_Staley (21/03/18 02:49 PM)

Les_Staley
.224 member

#314647 - 29/03/18 12:56 PM

Took ole "Two Eye" to the optometrist. Was shooting the jacketed 150s great, but the minute I tried cast at low velocity, the real "fun stuff", it went cross eyed. Slowed 'em down as much as I dared, and it helped, but still crossing six inches at 50 yards. So, took the top and bottom covers off the barrels, and found out how the pressure wheel worked. With all the pressure off, it still crossed about 5". Squeezed the barrels together with my hand, and taped them tightly. Did the trick! Today shot four 186 gr gas checked powder coated cast of clip on wheel weight into one and a quarter inches at 50 yds. Powered by 18 gr of 2400. One bullet from each barrel cut the same hole! As a side note, both triggers are getting smooth and noticeably lighter. I really like this gun!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3513

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com