Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: lining a chamber...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
lining a chamber...
      #307985 - 20/11/17 01:15 AM

Some time ago I posted regarding an excellent condition 88 Mauser sporter with chamber and bore issues. I considered a rebore but with an enlarged chamber there were very limited options.

I am probably going with a rebore and a chamber liner. Most of the info I have seen has to do with making a liner the full length of the case (which I have issues with) If I go up to 9x57, does it seem feasible to have an insert that stops at the neck, thereby not having a seam where gas erosion might be an issue. Haven't taking measurements yet in terms of sweating in vs threading.

Thoughts?

Tom

Edited by Tom_H (20/11/17 01:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Tom_H]
      #307994 - 20/11/17 06:04 AM

If you go with a smaller caliber why would you want to do a separate chamber liner and a barrel liner. Unless I am Misunderstanding you. You can rebore the barrel with a step at the chamber area and turn the liner with the same step. There will be no seam.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Wayne59]
      #307996 - 20/11/17 07:52 AM

Why not buy a barrel from a barrel maker for the caliber you want. Have it profiled straight cylinder 5/8" or 9/16". Have it installed as a liner in you barrel. I don't think TJ's has a liner the correct size for the 9 x 57.

The chamber would be continuous with bore and you would retain the outer profile and markings on you current barrel.

Much simpler installation.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: DoubleD]
      #308017 - 20/11/17 10:30 PM

Not going with the same or smaller caliber, moving from 8mm to 9mm.

I thought about the stepped liner. I'll have to check the measurements, but the profile gets fairly thin near the muzzle.
I'm not set up to turn barrels to liners. I can look into having another barrel profiled so I may make some calls today. Another thing that I don't want is to double the price of the rifle with the work that needs to be put into it. The rebore/chamber job is about half the price of a liner job.
If the method is inappropriate that is a different story. I know that people are doing it, just not entirely sure how acceptable it is.

Thanks
Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Tom_H]
      #308019 - 20/11/17 10:58 PM

I can only ask WHY?????

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: lining a chamber... [Re: paradox_]
      #308061 - 21/11/17 04:03 PM

Buy the barrel profiled for the barrel maker.

Whio is doing the liner for you?

I suggest John Taylor Machine.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (21/11/17 04:07 PM)

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #308067 - 21/11/17 10:04 PM

I don’t understand....... I’m hoping to get schooled on this one and mean no disrespect by asking this question:

Why would one rebore and line an old worn out chamber and barrel, unless to simply preserve the aesthetics of the original barrel?

A new top flight match grade cut rifled barrel is not that expensive to buy or have installed these days, so why waste time and money salvaging an old tube?

I’d presume that a relining would destroy collector value on a top end rifle, and to my understanding, this is a custom rifle, so collector value is maybe not a consideration in any event?

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Postman]
      #308069 - 21/11/17 11:36 PM

If you follow the links you will be taken to pictures of these rifles, and yes it is aesthetics.

But in the same light I would not jump up a caliber, rather would keep it in the original caliber. That won't hurt value. Rebore might.

This rifle would be a good candidate for relining original, not so sure about reboring.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #308072 - 22/11/17 01:54 AM

I read the original post you linked to. It sounds like you still do not know the dimensions of your current chamber. If you did you may find you have more than "very limited options" for a simple rebore and rechamber.

You could do a chamber cast. Alternatively, you could fire-form an 8x57 case to the current chamber by loading and shooting a wax plug instead of a bullet. Who knows, maybe something as simple as .35 Whelen or .338-06 might clean up the chamber. Either of those could be loaded to an OAL to fit the action. But you need to know more about your current chamber to find the proper solution.

--------------------
~

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Grenadier]
      #308097 - 22/11/17 07:38 AM

I have a Gew.88 based sporting rifle, made by Otto Bock, that had worn out rifleing. Do to the nature of the barrel profiling I chose to have the barrel rebored. I forget who did it but I had it rebored to a 9x57 MM.

Vlad

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: Vladymere]
      #308111 - 22/11/17 10:30 AM

The "enlarged" chamber has me concerned.

Is this due to hang-fire, bore/chamber obstruction - or what? Is it under the threads or ahead of the threads?
If this 'enlarged" chamber is ahead of the action, is the barrel strength at that spot compromised?
Maybe to many questions and Postman's suggestion of a new barrel becomes the best case senario.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: DarylS]
      #314612 - 28/03/18 08:39 PM

The 9.3x62 uses a slightly larger head size, .470" vs .476". This should give you that bit extra you need to correct the problem as long as you have enouph meat in the barrel to work with.

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: lining a chamber... [Re: fsrmg1]
      #314645 - 29/03/18 12:28 PM

"The "enlarged" chamber has me concerned...."

This is the issue and the answers to it will determine which way you can take action to save the bbl or not.

Enlarged where, how much, what caused it, ect. Any damage to the action.

If it's a chamber that';s just enlarged at the base from poor maint habits or maybe attempts to smooth the chamber up a bit with the ever popular grit paper on a split rod, I wouldn't have any problems with a short sleeve insert well fitted in that back portion of the chamber of an 88. Then recut to match the rest of the chamber after the rebore is done.

I wouldn't do a full length chamber liner at all.
You shouldn't have to do a full length chamber liner anyway as long as you are going from 8 to 9mm. The increase at the neck should take care of any problem up in front of the shoulder. Behind that point, a short chamber liner would be OK IMO.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4418

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com