Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Video "Extreme Boar Hunting"
      #31316 - 17/05/05 03:54 PM

I saw this video yesterday with some NZ boys going tough on the hogs. Some questions popped up.

- How common is it to grab the hog and kill it with the knife or release it if not what you are looking for?

- The hogs are they only feral or is there also real Wild Boars in Oz?

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting" [Re: cchunter]
      #31412 - 18/05/05 03:04 PM

Most doggers in Australia would use a sticking knife or sharpened screw-driver to kill the pig once it is securely held by the dogs: a very common practice.

All pigs/hogs/boar in Australia/NZ are feral, mainly from european stock but with a little SE Asian influence in some parts of the North.

There is an absolute plethora of dogging videos and magazines available in Oz at the moment, most are exciting to watch but leave a lot to be desired in terms of 'literary quality', to say the least!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting" [Re: Marrakai]
      #31422 - 18/05/05 04:56 PM

I read an article a while back that suggested that aussie 'feral' pigs have been 'feral' long enough now and are evolving into proper wild boars, I suppose it is just a matter of time! For instance, the dingo was introduced to Australia (albeit a very long time ago) but it is now classed as native, will one day rabbits, pigs and cane toads be classed as native?

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting" [Re: tunofun]
      #31429 - 18/05/05 10:51 PM

tunofun:
When the dingo is referred to as a 'native dog', I think they mean that it was a dog belong natives!

The dingo is classed along with true native Australian vertebrates for the purposes of the NT Wildlife Act, and there is a specific clause including them since they were here before European 'discovery', but the dingo should never be seriously referred to as a native animal. The correct term is 'naturalised'.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting" [Re: cchunter]
      #31443 - 19/05/05 02:10 AM

A lot of Aussie and Kiwis go dogging for pigs. Mostly in the hilly country of the great dividing range.

As Marrakai mentions there are several pig hunting magazines around at the moment and lots of videos.

Mostly the guys and girls release the dogs at sign and the dogs chase and run down the pig, holding it at bay. The fit hunter runs after them and runs it, flips the pig and stabs it in the heart with a bayonet.

Generally all pigs caught are killed. It is probably illegal to catch and release, in fact the feral pigs MUST be killed. They are considered noxious pests.

At least this is my armchair impression of it. I need to be fitter but I would give it a go to see what it is like.

Wild pigs in Oz are from a number of sources.

In NSW and Southern Queensland, they are feral escapees or releases from farms. Some are becoming a little more boar like.

In the North of the NT and Queensland, Australia is closer to New Guinea, the Pacific Islands and Asia. Some pigs were reportedly released there by Asian and Islander traders. Inaddition European feral pigs bred with these swine. The Northern pigs are reported to be generally larger and often closer to true wild boar. The size may be abundant feed and the boar like attributes, the Asian genes.

Pigs in the wild will seeminly become more boar like the longer they are wild. The heavier shoulders and slimmer rear end. Bristles along the spine. Colour etc. In Australia they are known as Razorbacks.

Now I come to a favourite of mine which I learned about last year. The feral pigs on Kangaroo Island South of the coast of South Australia have been wild on the island for a good two hundred years. They are not numerous nor thick in numbers and can be hard to hunt. But they show a lot of wild characteristics and best of all the pork is mostly disease free. The locals eat them without any problem unlike our outback feral swine.

These Kangaroo Island wild pigs were released by whalers and sealers even before South Australia was colonised. Whalers, sealers and sea-traders released pigs and goats on island and lands as possible food sources in case of ship wreck. And there are a lot of ship wrecks on the Southern Coasts from those days. Directly South of KI across the Southern Ocean there is nothing until Antartica.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Video "Extreme Boar Hunting" [Re: NitroX]
      #31461 - 19/05/05 04:52 AM

Interesting to hear about how hunting is done in different places around the world.

About te lack of quality on the videos maybe Safari-Hunt and I have to pay Oz a visit and make some good videos

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2784

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com