Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Travel

Pages: 1
Ripp
.470 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry
      #314132 - 19/03/18 10:44 AM

Wasn't sure where to post this..but found it interesting and useful.. I do travel A LOT for work..with many of my flights I only take a carry on..SOOOOO, what to??? ..let's just say I may or may not have incorporated one or two of the suggestions in this article...

In today's world there are many areas where it is simply illegal to carry..this may or may not be an alternative in your area..

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/5-thing..._eid=84946b9f25

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (19/03/18 12:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: Ripp]
      #314136 - 19/03/18 12:46 PM

Art - you, buddy, do not need any of this stuff - however

those of us who are mortal, do. Tks.

With the proliferation of the body scanners, anything looking like a knife is going to get you into trouble.

The pen idea or bottle opener is a good one, however, if close enough to use those, I would think the "Crashing blow of a huge right fist" would also work - or a "Tiger Mouth' and cross-head punch.

A knife (Leatherman or other wise) in stowed luggage is always available once you leave the airport.

I will NOT be without my Leatherman - or facsimile-thereof.

Since we went carry-on on our trip to Yuma last Dec. I went straight to a Walmart and bought a new one, leaving it with the Brother In Law when we left.

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: Daryl_S]
      #314141 - 19/03/18 02:28 PM

The most sensible thing to carry is a sense of common sense. Lacking in a great many.

I don't feel "naked" at all not being able to "carry", all the time, or none of the time. Maybe some very rare occasions it might be slightly felt a need. I actually find it amazing that people need to "carry" 100% of the time. And if it is truly needed, pretty sure they are places I would not want to live. Being blessed to live in a place and environment where personal violence is very rare. And where common sense solves 99% of the problems which do occur. So far anyway, fingers crossed.

Not arguing in favour of laws forbidding such, God forbid! Fully in favour of where it is needed, free law abiding people should be able to.

Now living in Soviet Australia, not only are carrying of firearms concealed is pretty much 100% banned except for the Stasi and co, even owning a firearm for self defence is illegal. One owned for a different purpose can be used at need for self defence, but you can't own one for this purpose. But that paper target shooting Glock still works on burglars ... as does that pig hunting rifle as well.

Now Soviet Australia ALSO bans the carrying of knives. Vietnamese gangs used to carry knives a lot, probably hidden on the,. The non-existent Sudanese gangs probably carry long machetes ... being a weapon of choice of Simbas ...

But ordinary Aussies are not permitted to carry knives, pepper spray, knuckle dusters, etc. Unless one has a legitimate purpose for carrying one. I think if searched the legitimate purpose will have to be pretty substantial. I have read police comments where eg a leatherman, irrespective of its multi tool status is still considered an illegal carrying knife. No doubt a Swiss army knife is considered the same. I DO carry a leatherman almost all the time. I am a farmer and need to cut twine, bailing twine, used the knife to cut the stems of vine grapes for samples the other day, use the pliers and screw drivers all the time. Used the scissors on my nails the other day. Even use the pliers to smoke the end of a cigar ... have the nicotine oil stains on it to prove it! So need it pretty much all the time. When I remember take it out in the car before going to the shops.

My key chain tag is a small Swiss army knife. It is small. But no doubt some Stasi would claim it is a weapon of mass destruction. Hell I would run away fast, before using a 1 1/2 inch blade in a fight!

I much prefer my sizable folding knife. Don't carry it for self defence, but again for all those farm and varied tasks a knife is useful for.

I don't actually know the law, but I have seen Aussie (and US) Police shows where the coppers search a car and find a knife "Ooh aah, what have you got this for?" they exclaim. Is having a knife in your car, "carrying in public"? I would have thought NOT! I always carry a hunting knife or two in my car, for hunting and skining and butchering game animals. In my 4WD I would have several knives, two or three axes, maybe even a machete type tool. Along with shovels, spades, sometimes even a crowbar and a chain saw. Deadly weapon carrier that 4WD ...

What happened to Boy Scouts? Where the pocket knife was a necessity. I guess they have had their genders bent and now carry pocket dildoes. Oh no, the police might think these are dead weapons as well, able to club people to death, even if the latex or rubber is so flexible ...

I actually have two carbob fibre knives. Larcher (or someone) gave me a neat little credit card knife, which folds into a credit car, but unfolds and locks into a small knife. IMO pretty useless in a fight, but will open envelopes. If needed would be better than nothing. And Larcher did give me a kitchen knife which is carbon fibre only except for a small metal pin hinge. It doesn't lock open, but would be useful for peeling an apple. ErikD showed me an Israeli Commando style knife, a medium sized sheath knife, two edged, made entirely of carbon fibre. Used by the Israelis to smuggle onto planes ... that would be useful until it breaks.

The most useful thing to carry is a solid pen. Made from strong steel and with a sharpish point. Hard to kill with, but makes a good defensive weapon with painfull stabs to face, torso or limbs. In fact the Russian Spetznaz used to train men with pencils and pens, including throwing them as a throwing knife. Good dual purpose defensive weapon and writing instrument. Of course usually one carry a disposable plastic throw away pen ... always looking for my pens ...

Most countries that ban the carrying of concealed firearms also now ban the carrying of knives. Australia, the UK are two examples. No doubt a lot more European countries (?).

I said before I feel I do not have to 'carry', but it is reassuring to have a pocket knife. In case an apple needs peeling, twine needs cutting, or a cigar needs holding to avoid burnings ones fingers ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: NitroX]
      #314142 - 19/03/18 02:30 PM

BTW if attacked, and especially if a woman is attacked, and pepper spray is not permitted to be carried, I wonder how effective a small pressure spray can of intensive bug spray would be? I feel in the eyes it would be extremely effective? Any thoughts?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: southern England
      #314156 - 19/03/18 08:47 PM

From the size of the bugs that we saw in Australia I should imagine a can of bug spray would be useful. Some of them use propane as a propellant, so be careful.

Here in Britain it is an offence to carry a knife with a blade longer than three inches. I indeed also carry a 1.5" Swiss army knife for nail trimming.

Our local Vicar, ex-engineer in the RAF, always carries a full-size Leatherman on his belt in a holster. He has never been stopped........

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: HistoricBore]
      #314161 - 19/03/18 10:58 PM

Quote:

Our local Vicar, ex-engineer in the RAF, always carries a full-size Leatherman on his belt in a holster. He has never been stopped........

Maybe the holster has a Swiss Army Cross on it and the plods think it is a Pastoral implement.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
      #314166 - 20/03/18 12:05 AM

My late grandpa used to carry a large flat screwdriver. Used it to defend himself from two druggies when he was 78.

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Ripp
.470 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #314171 - 20/03/18 01:44 AM

Quote:

My late grandpa used to carry a large flat screwdriver. Used it to defend himself from two druggies when he was 78.

Your grandpa sounds like he was a very smart man..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: Ripp]
      #314173 - 20/03/18 01:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Your grandpa sounds like he was a very smart man..

Ripp

Yep.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #314177 - 20/03/18 04:19 AM

Actually I have a large screw driver in the door panel of my truck - just in case the truck needs maintenance now and then.
I also have one of those heavy mag. lights in my door panel.

I still have the boy-scout knife my uncle game me, with a picture of him in red serge, on a horse on one of the 'scales'.( he told me that was him - lol) I guess that knife is over or close to 60 years old now.

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: 5-Things-to carry when you can't-carry [Re: Daryl_S]
      #314471 - 26/03/18 12:51 AM

I carry a folding knife for use around the place. Seems like I use it just about every day.

I don't feel the need to carry a gun any where I go. Yes, I suppose I might someday encounter a violent person and wish I had one but I also don't worry much about getting struck by lightning when it happens to be cloudy outside.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 318

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com