Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .303 and .45 Ban in India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
.303 and .45 Ban in India
      #314408 - 24/03/18 07:09 AM

I am trying to determine when these military calibers were banned in India. One source suggested that it was in 1906, but details are sketchy. Does anyone here have additional information?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pluto7
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: India
Re: .303 and .45 Ban in India [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #314438 - 25/03/18 12:49 AM

Hi Carpetsahib,

See the excerpt below from the forum of cartridge collectors (link below). I hope this is of help.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all
In August 1899 the Government of India prohibited gun dealers from importing .303, .577/.450 MH & .577 Snider riflers and ammunition, to deny dissidents from obtaining said items. Indian residents with authority to possess firearms, i.e. Europeans basically, were exempt from this ban and continued to import/export freely.
In February 1901 the Government of India completely banned the importation of .303 calibre rifles and Martini-Henry rifles in .577/.450 calibre and .577 Sniders. (there were obvious loopholes in the law here as observed by ‘The Field’ newspaper in 1901. Legally you could import into India a double rifle in .577/.450 calibre.) Under the new provisions of 1901, Indian residents in possession of the banned firearms could obtain a licence to buy up to 200 rounds per year and selected European and a few Indian gun dealers were licenced to stock up to 25,000 rounds of ‘banned’ ammunition for sale to licence holders.
How far did this affect import of firearms and ammunition into India? To some degree - because customs officials and others could not discern and difference between .450 and .577/.450 - but how many sportsmen would be using the obsolete .577 Snider and .577/.450MH by 1901??? Not many. Mostly I suspect the India ban was a useful marketing ploy for British gun and ammunition makers. H&H’s .465 ‘India’ cartridge was introduced 6 years after the ban - and its ‘Velopex’ bullet was amore important development than its calibre.
Sorry don’t have anything in Sudan.
Doc - can you date that 8mm x 50R LE from the Proof marks - I suspect 1919 onwards - but would be interesting to know.
Regards
JohnP-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/...nd-sudan/2569/4

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: .303 and .45 Ban in India [Re: pluto7]
      #314440 - 25/03/18 02:44 AM

This is what I was looking for. For some reason, Google didn't sniff this link out for me.

The reason for my inquiry is that I am trying to make some sense of the various rifles that Col. Corbett used in career. Fairly late in his career, he mentions the use of a .450 rifle: First, for the Rudraprayag leopard (1926); Second, for the Bachelor of Powalgarh (1930). It is possible that he actually used his .450/400 Jeffery, but an editor or someone else changed it to .450. If it really was a .450 rifle, what was it and where is it now?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .303 and .45 Ban in India [Re: pluto7]
      #314544 - 27/03/18 01:04 PM

Quote:

Hi Carpetsahib,

See the excerpt below from the forum of cartridge collectors (link below). I hope this is of help.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all
In August 1899 the Government of India prohibited gun dealers from importing .303, .577/.450 MH & .577 Snider riflers and ammunition, to deny dissidents from obtaining said items. Indian residents with authority to possess firearms, i.e. Europeans basically, were exempt from this ban and continued to import/export freely.
In February 1901 the Government of India completely banned the importation of .303 calibre rifles and Martini-Henry rifles in .577/.450 calibre and .577 Sniders. (there were obvious loopholes in the law here as observed by ‘The Field’ newspaper in 1901. Legally you could import into India a double rifle in .577/.450 calibre.) Under the new provisions of 1901, Indian residents in possession of the banned firearms could obtain a licence to buy up to 200 rounds per year and selected European and a few Indian gun dealers were licenced to stock up to 25,000 rounds of ‘banned’ ammunition for sale to licence holders.
How far did this affect import of firearms and ammunition into India? To some degree - because customs officials and others could not discern and difference between .450 and .577/.450 - but how many sportsmen would be using the obsolete .577 Snider and .577/.450MH by 1901??? Not many. Mostly I suspect the India ban was a useful marketing ploy for British gun and ammunition makers. H&H’s .465 ‘India’ cartridge was introduced 6 years after the ban - and its ‘Velopex’ bullet was amore important development than its calibre.
Sorry don’t have anything in Sudan.
Doc - can you date that 8mm x 50R LE from the Proof marks - I suspect 1919 onwards - but would be interesting to know.
Regards
JohnP-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/...nd-sudan/2569/4

I wonder how accurate that is?

I thought the ban was for Sudan as well?

As for "how many sportsmen would be using the obsolete .577 Snider and .577/.450MH by 1901???"

I would think for the .577/450 a hell of a lot in Africa and India. And "sportmen", not just sportsmen but people living on the land, using the MH as a working rifle.

I think a better source as the ban is needed.

But I do not know about the ban, just the vague referecnes written about it, and the reason eg the .450's were discontinued somewhat, the the .470, .465 etc were created.

Would be interesting to read a good historical explanation.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3080

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com