Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Handgun of the Empire

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: Ahmed577]
      #314104 - 18/03/18 04:34 PM

Quote:

Can you imagine 9 x purdey guns .600 .500 .375 .303 .300 .5.6x52 .22 .10b .28b. Then compliment the battery with a pair of modern webleys in .357 revolvers for the coup de grace.

Ahmed, if you read this. Do you plan to wear both in cowboy fashion, one on each hip? Or singly in a flapped cross drawer holster British Army Officer style?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: NitroX]
      #314107 - 18/03/18 06:32 PM

From the A W website. No additional information I can see.

http://andersonwheeler.co.uk/the-gun-room/revolver/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#314108 - 18/03/18 06:38 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #314109 - 18/03/18 07:54 PM

British army officer style holsters. Handguns are almost complete and stuart appears to have his act well honed. It will be 11 years this October that the BOSS , PURDEY project started. Boss is complete PURDEY have 2 to go. The 10bore rifle choked gun is a few months from completion leaving the 300h&h sxs rifle to complete. This rifle is a few years overdue. It has been a real challenge to the factory. I can only speak well of PURDEY and BOSS. I should have started the project in my early 40 s not early 50 s. However I guess I should simply be grateful that it has happened at all.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#314110 - 18/03/18 08:22 PM

Quote:

British army officer style holsters. Handguns are almost complete and stuart appears to have his act well honed. It will be 11 years this October that the BOSS , PURDEY project started. Boss is complete PURDEY have 2 to go. The 10bore rifle choked gun is a few months from completion leaving the 300h&h sxs rifle to complete. This rifle is a few years overdue. It has been a real challenge to the factory. I can only speak well of PURDEY and BOSS. I should have started the project in my early 40 s not early 50 s. However I guess I should simply be grateful that it has happened at all.

I hope you hire a good photographer and get the entire collection well documented when complete. A great armoury it will be.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
      #314119 - 19/03/18 03:54 AM

I've wanted a Webley for as long as I can remember. Maybe I should do something about that.

I was under the impression the A. Wheeler didn't actually make any guns themselves, they just added their name to guns contracted out from other manufacturers. Can anyone educate me on this?
Thanks

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: 416rigby]
      #314121 - 19/03/18 05:44 AM

That's nice - I like that.
I would like one in .44 S&W Special.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#314140 - 19/03/18 01:49 PM

Quote:

I've wanted a Webley for as long as I can remember. Maybe I should do something about that.

I was under the impression the A. Wheeler didn't actually make any guns themselves, they just added their name to guns contracted out from other manufacturers. Can anyone educate me on this?
Thanks

As for all these "other manufacturers"?

Who the hell else makes a "Webley" to this standard? No one. Who else makes a modern Webley at all? No one. Maybe some sort is made in India.

Per Stuart Anderson Wheeler they are making it themselves. Which is why it is taking four years. And why it is now available in the modern .357 and no other cartridge.

Time to buy a nice new well made one in .357. Or a find a nice vintage one in .455. Myself I would take one of each if I could.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/03/18 03:01 PM)

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
      #314210 - 20/03/18 01:47 PM

Thanks, John. I seem to remember discussion that their double rifle used in a Bond movie was made elsewhere. Maybe I don't remember that correctly.

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#314220 - 20/03/18 05:19 PM

The Anderson-Wheeler Gunmaking company has had a few changes in the last year or so. Not only closed its Mayfair shop and moved to Dorset. Other changes as well. And from their website they now list a side by side, under and over, shotguns, as well as the A-W Mk V11 revolver.

A press release was supposed to come out mid-2017 about the changes. Did it come out and I missed it? Or not announced? Don't know.

I know I want Stuart to update me on the new firearms they are making.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #314229 - 21/03/18 12:56 AM

Anybody know what the pricing is on this A/W revolver?

Does this outfit really think they are going to build a profitable business on a old-design, modern-made, large-frame, break action .357?

Interesting absolutely, and a fascinating lark, yes, a curiosity, certainly, a freak, sort-of, but a product to make a going concern out of a startup gunmaker? I don't think so.

Especially when potentially large markets like Australia and UK are so restricted. Here I reckon a few folks might bite, but I bet the price is going to be STEEP.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: 9.3x57]
      #314232 - 21/03/18 01:46 AM

Have paid a little over 20,ooo pound for a pair. The engraver who handled my battery of 9 purdeys matched the pistols to the purdeys in engraving style. I started buying new guns when I realised that used guns were 20 times dearer (up or down a little or a lot ) than someone paid new for them. One should never debate someone’s reasoning to pay the high price for a best gun. That someone creates the opportunity for the next owner to pay up to 20 times the new price paid when new and be satisfied they have a gun that is affordable to them. We need to focus on being part of a circle that we all love to play a part in.

9.3x57
.450 member

#314233 - 21/03/18 01:53 AM

Quote:

Have paid a little over 20,ooo pound for a pair. The engraver who handled my battery of 9 purdeys matched the pistols to the purdeys in engraving style. I started buying new guns when I realised that used guns were 20 times dearer (up or down a little or a lot ) than someone paid new for them. One should never debate someone’s reasoning to pay the high price for a best gun. That someone creates the opportunity for the next owner to pay up to 20 times the new price paid when new and be satisfied they have a gun that is affordable to them. We need to focus on being part of a circle that we all love to play a part in.

OK.

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around just what these things are for and what market they would serve. What you just described {10k/per +-} answers the question.

Will be very interesting to see just how many they make overall.

Thanks.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: 9.3x57]
      #314238 - 21/03/18 03:18 AM

I think your missing the point.People have these thing's because they can.Anderson Wheeler may not sell many of these,but there are a good few people who will have them because they can afford it,It's available and they can have it engraved and finished to however they want it done.It's the same as buying a London Gun or Rifle new.There are plenty of cheaper product's that will out perform them,but people buy them because they can.I do work for one of the London Gunmakers and I've never been short of work.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: Pugwash]
      #314245 - 21/03/18 04:10 AM

Quote:

I think your missing the point.People have these thing's because they can.Anderson Wheeler may not sell many of these,but there are a good few people who will have them because they can afford it,It's available and they can have it engraved and finished to however they want it done.It's the same as buying a London Gun or Rifle new.There are plenty of cheaper product's that will out perform them,but people buy them because they can.I do work for one of the London Gunmakers and I've never been short of work.

I wasn't missing the point at all. I was just trying to find out what the point was.

I have no knowledge of this outfit and was wondering if it was some sort of attempt to compete with Uberti or something like that.

The previous member clarified that.

It would seem that these things will sort of be on-offs and handbuilt, etc. That wasn't totally clear to me before.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#314269 - 21/03/18 12:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks, John. I seem to remember discussion that their double rifle used in a Bond movie was made elsewhere. Maybe I don't remember that correctly.

Stuart said the handgun was being made by them. No one else makes a Webley style revolver. Maybe something in India.

As for other A-W firearms, they appear to be selling several types now. A side by side, under and over, shotguns. No idea how or who is making these. Changes occurrred at the company making it far more resourceful. The additional firearm types appear to be a result of this.

Back to the handgun. It has been asked what it is used for? Ha ha. What is any handgun used for? Purchased by owners to shoot. Targets, hunting, self defence. Whatever is legal in the owners jurisdiction. For owners looking for a historic Webley styled revolver in a modern new guise.

I think there will be a fair number made over time. For enthusiasts of the Webley style revolver. Not a huge number per year. The British premium makers don't make a lot of firearms of the super high standard each year. They aren't mass produced stuff. And few times available "off the shelf" unless the maker makes the odd firearm as a showpiece which may not be pre-ordered and custom made.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Levallois
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/03
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #320325 - 03/10/18 12:13 PM

More handguns of the empire -

Wilkinson Webley in .455 - more refined than the Webley.

[image][/image]

And the other .455 - the auto - the lower pistol Mark I Navy. The upper - Model 1910 - is caliber 38acp and was used in the Great War to some extent as well.

[image][/image]

--------------------
It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: Levallois]
      #320353 - 04/10/18 02:40 AM

It would be a very rapid firing gun if chambered for .45 Auto and Auto-rim, using .45ACP cases, RN jacketed and full moon clips.
The design, of course, has a very long trigger pull and long hammer fall, still a really nice revolver - it is not a pistol.
The post above this shows 2 Webley pistols.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Handgun of the Empire [Re: DarylS]
      #342625 - 21/06/20 10:22 PM

Would love to feature the finished handguns.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 58749

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com