Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wilhelm Brenneke rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
brcampbe
.224 member

Reged: 13/03/18
Loc: United States
Wilhelm Brenneke rifle?
      #313990 - 15/03/18 02:21 AM

Hi all, I purchased this rifle recently from someone who inherited it. It was brought back from WWII by a Soldier and subsequently re-barreled to .30-06 in the 1950s and scoped with a custom adapter to use the existing double claw bases. It was used by this individual for over 60 years as his personal hunting rifle. The barrel has 6 grooves and no markings at all, the sights are from a Remington 721 from 1948.

The action is a matching commercial Mauser Oberndorf standard length dating to 1912. All parts match to the last 2 digits of the serial number. The receiver is commercial proofed circa 1913 and also has a revision/rebuild proof. The engraving on both the receiver and bottom metal is identical to that found on period Wilhelm Brenneke rifles, but because his name was signed on the barrels, I cannot otherwise identify the rifle. This rifle has had a very long service life... used and rebuilt in Germany, then rebuilt and used in America, then I have put it in to use yet again...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wilhelm Brenneke rifle? [Re: brcampbe]
      #313991 - 15/03/18 03:34 AM

Nice old rifle. My Oberndorf Mauser 9.3x62's stock was identical including the triggers.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Wilhelm Brenneke rifle? [Re: DarylS]
      #313996 - 15/03/18 07:00 AM

What a lovely old treasure you have there brcampbe!
If one of our German members see this they'll be able to guide you through the maze of proof marks & hopefully there may still be a cartouche somewhere that proves he did the work!
Herr Brenneke did bring out some wonderful cartridges.
This one could have been in 8x64mm as the 7x64mm came out in 1917 or thereabouts.
If the barrel is shot out then it may be possible to return it back to that calibre by reboring?
Family heirloom that one!

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Wilhelm Brenneke rifle? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #314007 - 15/03/18 01:37 PM

Here's a page from the 1939 Stoeger regarding 'Foreign Proofs';

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Wilhelm Brenneke rifle? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #314016 - 15/03/18 07:48 PM

Nothing points to Wilhelm Brenneke here, but the rifle has some history. The Mauser commercial serial number 53186 shows, the action was made by Mauser, Oberndorf, in 1912 for sale to other gunmakers as "action only". Stock and engraving show the typical, common Suhl / Zella-Mehlis style of pre-WW1 times. BTW, all those "Original Wilhelm Brenneke, Leipzig" rifles were actually made for him by Schmidt & Habermann, Suhl. Though the original barrel with the most interesting marks is lost, the KM stamp with the D 264 registration number and the four plugged holes below tell about the original chambering and the history. These marks on the stock are German WW1 military markings . The D prefix and the holes show it was originally in 8x57I, .318" bullet. It is one of the scoped 8x57 Mauser sporters that volunteered in 1915 to serve as the first scoped sniper rifles of the Great War. Some years ago I wrote an article on these "Militarised Sporting Rifles" for Waidmannsheil!, the periodical of the German Gun Collectors Association, www.germanguns.com. If you send a PM with your email address, I can forward that article. After 1918 these rifles were given back to their owners. As the Versailles Treaty prohibited the "military" 8x57 cartridges in Germany, many such rifles were rechambered to 8x60 or rebored to 9x57 in the 1920s, hence the repair proof of the rifle. Today these hunting rifles with that war service background are very rare. This is only the fourth such rifle I know about.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com