Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: kuduae]
      #279131 - 11/03/16 05:18 PM

I saw a letter where he was giving this rifle to a museum, where he says that he has mentioned this rifle a 'hundred times' in his books,and shot 'several' maneaters.
So this Rigby is 'the one' as far as Corbett hunting with a .275 goes.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: kuduae]
      #279135 - 12/03/16 12:08 AM

Quote:

As I had the original .275 Rigby rifle, presented in 1907 by Sir Hewett to J.G.Corbett, in my hands just two days ago, here is a closer description: The rifle is built on a short intermediate action. The Mauser serial number dates the action to late 1904. The action has the usual "Waffenfabrik Mauser - Oberndorf a.N." inscription on the left receiver wall. The receiver ring is uninscribed on top. It's left side has the Mauser serial number, the Oberndorf BU and the London View proof marks. The barrel reinforce has 7mm and London proofmarks on the left. The open rear sight has one standard and two folding leaves, marked 100, 200 and 300. Forward of the rear sight is the Rigby, London address. The 1907 "Presented to Mr.J.G.Corbett …" plate is inlaid into the left side of the fiddleback figured butt. The rifle shows a lot of wear. There is no visible blueing left on any of the metal parts. The stock too shows a lot of wear, with a small crack at the top left of the hand. Checkering is worn almost smooth. Someone sometime tried to "fresh up" the checkering, but fortunately gave up after doing a few scratches on the left side of the pistol grip.

Comparing your first-hand description to Rigby's description of their Corbett replica rifle, it is obvious that the replica has a different sight. It is sighted to 500, whereas the original is sighted to 300. The photo of the replica appears to show 3 folding leafs (its hard to tell, since it's a bit fuzzy on my screen).

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #279137 - 12/03/16 12:59 AM

Quote:

Comparing your first-hand description to Rigby's description of their Corbett replica rifle, it is obvious that the replica has a different sight. It is sighted to 500, whereas the original is sighted to 300. The photo of the replica appears to show 3 folding leafs (its hard to tell, since it's a bit fuzzy on my screen).

That is not Rigby's description, but Sotheby's, fabricated by the auction house. Obviously it is not an "exact", but a close copy of the original Corbett rifle.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#313582 - 07/03/18 03:23 AM

Quote:

What he actually says is: "Some months previously I had been to Calcutta on a short visit and one morning walked into Manton's, the gunmaker's shop. On a glass showcase near the door was a rifle. I was looking at the weapon when the manager, who was an old friend of mine, came up. He informed me that the rifle, a .275 by Westley Richards, was a new model which the makers were anxious to introduce on the Indian market for hill shooting. The rifle was a beauty and the manager had little difficulty in persuading me to buy it on the understanding that if it did not suit me I would be at liberty to return it. So when I set out with my village friend that evening to shoot his jarao with horns as big as the branches of an oak tree, I was carrying my brand-new rifle.

...The rifle I was carrying was sighted to 500 yards and guaranteed to be dead accurate..."

Note that this Westley Richards .275 was sighted to 500 yards. I believe he acquired this rifle in 1909 or even 1908, since he started the Panar leopard hunt in 1909. He hunted with another .275, a Rigby, which may be the one that was sighted to 300 yds. This may have even been the presentation rifle!

The rifles he mentions in his hunting stories are:
1. Martini Henry .577/.450
2. Jones action .500 Modified Cordite double (ref. Champawat Tiger)
3. Jeffery 450/400 double
4. Westley Richards .275 (ref. Temple Tiger, sighted to 500 yds., acquired cir. 1908 or 1909)
5. Rigby .275 rifle sighted to 300 yds.(ref. Talla Des Tiger, acquired cir. 1908 or 1909; this may be the presentation rifle)
6. .450 (double?; this, may in fact, be the Martini Henry .577/.450)

So which .275 did he get first, the Westley Richards or the Rigby? I don't know, but probably close together.

I am resurrecting this thread, because something just occurred to me concerning the Westley. Per the quote above, "...if it did not suit me I would be at liberty to return it." Maybe he wasn't able to adapt to the double-pull trigger and returned it to Manton's.

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #313663 - 08/03/18 02:08 PM

I recall reading that Corbett missed an opportunity at a tiger (?) due to not being used to the double pull/military style trigger of one of his rifles.

This corresponds with the comment about returning the rifle due to the trigger.

Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: twobobbwana]
      #313710 - 09/03/18 09:39 AM

The 275 WR that I have seen, had a full octgonal barrel that was 27,5" long and the rare sights was marked up to 500 yards.

It was on a military action with double triggers.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Rigby Replica of Jim Corbtt's .275 Rigby [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #313770 - 10/03/18 05:20 AM

Quote:

The 275 WR that I have seen, had a full octgonal barrel that was 27,5" long and the rare sights was marked up to 500 yards.

It was on a military action with double triggers.

Was this one of Corbett's rifles? Do you have more information?

Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
      #313886 - 12/03/18 08:15 AM

Was this one of Corbett's rifles? Do you have more information?

No, it was a rifle in a private collection.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32914

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com