Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: NitroX]
      #313694 - 09/03/18 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I resisted the urge to shoot and waited until the animal got close enough that I was sure I would hit it where I wanted to. It seemed to take forever but I think it was about 15yards when I shot it and hit it just where the spine joins the head as it dropped its head.

Yep it can be hard to wait, but the shot is surer when the beast is closer.

But how does one calculate the 'slide' or 'topple' distance. Not much use dropping the animal dead and it slides or topples over top of you.

In all seriousness it does happen, good video of charging lion killed instantly and slides up and slobbers over the crouching shooter. A PH recently crushed to death by a falling elephant. A tonne of Aussie buffalo on top wouldn't be too pleasant. I've drop them close but got my calculation right

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: eagle27]
      #313697 - 09/03/18 07:22 AM

John Buhmiller had a dead buff knock him over and head land in his lap. His legs and hips were bruised for months.
Kill a grizzly mid-stride and good chance he will bowl you over. Spray him with pepper spray and he'll stop mid-stride from the same distance - maybe - if the spray is correctly placed and he's sensitive to it.

Can't help but think of my daughter's tree planting crew getting back to camp & finding a large black bear on the park picnic table eating a can of bear spray. His face was red from the capsicum pepper spray coming out the canine holes he put in the can - & there he was, lapping it up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: DarylS]
      #313716 - 09/03/18 10:40 AM

Quote:

John Buhmiller had a dead buff knock him over and head land in his lap. His legs and hips were bruised for months.
Kill a grizzly mid-stride and good chance he will bowl you over. Spray him with pepper spray and he'll stop mid-stride from the same distance - maybe - if the spray is correctly placed and he's sensitive to it.

Can't help but think of my daughter's tree planting crew getting back to camp & finding a large black bear on the park picnic table eating a can of bear spray. His face was red from the capsicum pepper spray coming out the canine holes he put in the can - & there he was, lapping it up.

Well Pepper spray works on some but not all humans so I guess it is the same for other critters. I would have loved to see the faces of those walking into the above.

Where I hunted Elephant in the Zambezi Valley the terrain came in all shapes and sizes. Thick jess like Chuck described, open, flat, hill, rocky, treed, bush and combinations of these. Got mine after moving through a small sharp rocky gully. On top of a hill shooting down at 15 meters. Didn't have to move to engage, one shot drop - brain- then had to stand our ground as the herd charged. Trackers, game scout and I followed the PH's lead jumping up and down, yelling waving arms. Herd stopped about 10 mts from us, any closer and the Game Scout was going to give the "Shoot to kill" call. Mention this only to show that a situation may arise where you need all the ammo you can use. Yes I did put a second shot into the Ele once the herd moved on. Same with the Cape Buff. So yep you can get your Heffelumps in all sorts of country

Edited by Rule303 (09/03/18 11:01 AM)

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Rule303]
      #313729 - 09/03/18 02:23 PM

How did it taste?

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: mchughcb]
      #313740 - 09/03/18 05:18 PM

Quote:

How did it taste?

Buff was great, all of the Ele went to the villages and some fat to the trackers. Would have liked to try the Ele.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #313757 - 10/03/18 02:57 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a dog I used to have. You can buy sprays fmade from chilli and curry designed to prevent a dog chewing stuff. That dog enjoyed the flavour and it did not bother him at all.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: NitroX]
      #313765 - 10/03/18 04:57 AM

I tested my wife's bear spray (about 1988) after making sure I was up-wind. I made a short spray onto the grass.
My springer ran over, smelled the red grass, licked it then went back to playing with a bird dummy.
No effect, yet our eyes were burning a bit and tightness in the throat due to a bit of a back-draft swirling air current, I assume.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #313773 - 10/03/18 07:48 AM

The pepper spray just made it madder......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgrpS6ef_08

That is why Brother Maynard did not have mere pepper spray......

In all seriousness; I used some “HeatWave” 18+5 OC spray on a black bear that was in my neighbors garbage.....basically no effect. The guy just sneezed and trotted off at a quite leisurely pace. (I was backed up by my son with the the .44mag).

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Elgjaeger
.224 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: Norway
      #314422 - 24/03/18 05:10 PM

This is fast bolt action shooting...

https://youtu.be/CrROt7f1P-0

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Elgjaeger]
      #314430 - 24/03/18 08:49 PM

Not with a 416 Remington its not lol!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com