Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
"Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed
      #313728 - 09/03/18 02:16 PM

I didn't know anything like that was available in Africa today. Sounds like my kinda hunt.

https://blog.bookyourhunt.com/2018/03/08...ins-of-namibia/

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #313731 - 09/03/18 03:25 PM

I actually saw this on tv last year..agree..would be a lot of fun..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed [Re: Ripp]
      #313736 - 09/03/18 03:52 PM

Would be a great hunt but I do not fully understand what they are doing. Are the not taking the meat? I read that the kudu was not far from the truck and they probably took that back. But did not really catch what happened when they were hunting from the tented camp. Have flirted with doing the same in Aus but very awkward to make it work in the heat with the meat and trophies.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed [Re: Claydog]
      #313758 - 10/03/18 03:07 AM

Quote:

Would be a great hunt but I do not fully understand what they are doing. Are the not taking the meat? I read that the kudu was not far from the truck and they probably took that back. But did not really catch what happened when they were hunting from the tented camp. Have flirted with doing the same in Aus but very awkward to make it work in the heat with the meat and trophies.

Yes I wondered that immediately. In Namibia staff could almost certainly also assist in retrieving the meat.

And NONE of the photographs show mountainous country any different from the usual country one sees in Namibia. Where a vehicle can usually be got to within a reasonable distance from an animal.

Actually all the photos show countryside where a vehicle could probably be got within a metre's loading distance from the animal.

In Africa, staff would often carry extra stuff for the "fly camp" which seems to be what this little hunt really is. Often done.

Natasha Illum Berg used to offer the old fashioned "porter safari" hunts still in Tanzania. Higher price than the usual safaris. A bit of old school. Probably a little bit artificial these days, when vehicles might be just as useful in the same country being hunted. Mountains are often a place where vehicles can not get in. I have no idea if Illum Berg still offers "porter safaris".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed [Re: Claydog]
      #313759 - 10/03/18 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

We met Clarence, who was trying his best to bring the packs we had dropped, and headed across the canyon.

Pretty sure there are staff along as well. I would imagine they have a tracker with them. And Clarence and perhaps others (?) following behind to deal with the headskins and also perhaps the meat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
Re: "Africa on High: A backpack hunt..." by James Reed [Re: NitroX]
      #313821 - 11/03/18 04:15 AM

FWIW I'm friends with James Reed on Facebook, and on his page there are pics of him and staff packing the meat out in backpacks. The terrain feels steep there, too. Too bad his post is friends only, so I can't share it here.

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #313840 - 11/03/18 08:51 AM

I know when I hunt in my area because of the heat i have a very small window of time to pack meat out and get it on ice. I am talking a few hours. The reason a pack hunt is difficult in heat is if you don’t have anywhere to put the meat when you make it back to the flycamp. I am genuinely interested in how they work it. I have thought of doing back pack trophy hunts but the logistics are very awkward which is why I thought they might be leaving a lot of meat behind or calling in a vehicle.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313851 - 11/03/18 03:21 PM

Quote:

FWIW I'm friends with James Reed on Facebook, and on his page there are pics of him and staff packing the meat out in backpacks. The terrain feels steep there, too. Too bad his post is friends only, so I can't share it here.

I did assume they were packing the meat out. Sometimes the photos make rough country look easier than in real life. Thanks or posting the reply.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com