Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: szihn]
      #313614 - 07/03/18 03:44 PM

Quote:

To answer the questions.
I am a professional in 2 ways I guess.
#1 I earn most of my living these days as a gunsmith and so I fire various guns every day of my life, about 5-6 times a week, but I am not being paid to fire those shot per se. I am being paid to insure the guns (rifles, handguns and shotguns) are in working order and most times, that they are zeroed in, and ready for service.

So some days I may fire 1-3 guns and some days I may fire up to 6-7. As an average I will fire about 20-40 round per gun. Just in the last 4 hours I went through 30 rounds of 38 Special, 18 rounds of 223 from a M700 bolt action and a full box of 45 ACP from a 1911. So today so far I have fired 98 rounds and the day's not over.

So lets say that comes to a loose average of 14 guns per week, with maybe an average of 25-30 shots each. If we call it 27 rounds per gun as a rough guess, that comes to 378 rounds a week, X 49 weeks. ( Not 52 because I take time off for Hunting, Christmas and sometime when I am on the road) That's 18,522 per year, from guns I am working on.

Add to that the 2-3 cases of AK74 and AK47 rounds (5.45 and 7.62) I fire, plus an average of 1,500 5.56 rounds from my AR15s I fire as in instructor, and for students who ask for tutoring, plus most years I'll fire a 1000 round case of 45 ACP and about 2000 rounds of 9MM as an average, and on top of those I will fire about 750 to 1000 rounds of mixed 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag and a few 454s every year.

This is a loose average, and some years the totals will vary quite a bit, but not so much the round-count.

2 years ago as an example, I fired a lot more 45ACP then I did 9mm, but last year my 9MM handguns went through just under 3 cases (1000 rounds each). I also go through a few hundred 308s and 6.8SPCs every year too.
Throw in my fun-shooting, in calibers I am playing with for myself on top of this pile. 8X57, 9.3X57, 9.3X74R, 30-06 270s, 6.5X54 Mann/Scho, 25-06 300 H&H 404 jeffery and muzzleloaders.

So my guess in my post above (7,500) is actually way low.

But I am not a celebrity.

I don't even own a video camera. In fact I don't ever even take my regular camera with me when I go hunting. (something I find I am kicking myself for at times)

So there are no videos of me to the best of my knowledge, unless someone in the Navy or Marine Corps has one, and in classes on Military and Polices ranges I don't know if they would even allow a camera. I never asked. But I somewhat doubt they would.

There are a few members who have posted here in the past who know me however, and have been to my home and range, and shot with me. I won't call them out here, but if they see this post and are comfortable with adding anything, they are very welcome.

If someone doesn't believe me it's 100% ok with me. I don't have a dog in the fight. Their disbelief costs me nothing.

But what I have seen and tested I am willing to report. And that costs them nothing.

Those the have read my posts for years, and those that know me, know I am always focusing on improving my students abilities, and almost never focus on gear or tools. That includes guns and scopes. I will focus on bullet selection in many cases, because this has more to do with the effectiveness of kills then the guns they are fired from in my experience.

Skill trumps everything else in 99.5% of the cases, and skill can be improved, even when students are not wealthy and can't afford the "latest and greatest" or the expensive "elite class" guns of this era or the last one.

It's the man doing the shooting, not the gun.

Nobody has doubted anything to do with how many rounds you fire per year. You said the video was not a good test and proposed something else. I asked you to film it. You say you don't have a video camera. So thats about it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: DarylS]
      #313615 - 07/03/18 04:06 PM

The problem I see with these double versus bolt action speed tests, is that they are always conducted and filmed under controlled conditions at non animal, read dangerous animal, targets. It is a ready set go a bit like a timed quick draw.

From what I have observed on several videos hunting elephant and buffalo, the double is certainly very quick for the first two shots, where two quick shots are used from the same position but after the first shot with a double or bolt gun, if the hunter needs to change position for a second shot e.g. move around bush to get a clear view, then the bolt can be reloaded on the move so neither gun type has an advantage.

The disadvantage I've observed with the double comes when both barrels have been emptied and then the hunter is physically pulled or strongly urged by the PH to change position or run away from other agitated animals, then the double user either doesn't reload until he has re-positioned or got out of harms way, or hung back and tried to reload before moving off.
The bolt gun wins hands down as it can be reloaded from the magazine from almost any position to prevent snagging on brush and all the while during full tilt running if need be while the hunter can keep his eyes on where he is running and avoid trips and falls and of course on what the game and PH is doing.

A broken open gun is a pain to reload when moving around and running let alone when running through brush and over uneven ground. Next time when out with your SxS or O/U shotgun, try reloading on the run and then try the same with your semi-auto, not for the speed of shots, but just for the shear ease of having a magazine full and also the ease of recharging the magazine on the trot.

I have observed in videos even the most experienced hunters and users of doubles either not reloading when on the run thus have an empty gun and relying on the PH to provide quick follow up shots with his bolt gun or fluffing around trying to eject empties, pluck two more cartridges from the belt and recharge their double all the while being urged by the PH to move.

Yes for two aimed and quick shots on animals the double is in it's glory but comparisons between doubles and bolts as to who can fire the most shots faster under controlled range conditions and uncontrolled field conditions are chalk and cheese.

If i was urged to run by a PH because I've got an ele or buff up my chuff I'd be beating the PH to the tape not pissing around trying to recharge a double.

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: eagle27]
      #313616 - 07/03/18 05:02 PM

Running, reloading and hitting a target with a break action. Who would have thought it could be done.

https://youtu.be/0OdGMaLhHts

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: mchughcb]
      #313617 - 07/03/18 05:57 PM

Quote:

Running, reloading and hitting a target with a break action. Who would have thought it could be done.

https://youtu.be/0OdGMaLhHts

I'm not seeing you running on uneven ground, avoiding bush's while the heart is pumping hard and seeing anything being reloaded while moving. Maybe a shot shell I am guessing. Not quite in the same league as moving from or to engage DG at close range.

I have loaded SXS shotguns on the move and it is not that easy when on uneven ground or in bush and keeping the barrels in a safe direction. Can be done but takes time, relatively speaking. It is far easier and quicker to change a magazine on a bolt gun or stick an extra round in a fixed mag on some bolt guns. ie on a CZ 550 but not say a Rem 700.

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Rule303]
      #313618 - 07/03/18 07:10 PM

I must be seeing something different, I see you fire a shot then stand by the same fence post you fired from as you reload then move off slightly for another angle to fire your second shot?
Rule303 has obviously been there done that, it just ain't as easy as cranking another round from the magazine of a bolt gun while on the move, or for that matter if things really go south, getting another round up the spout if fallen to the ground. You haven't got a hope in hell of achieving that with a double.

But if facing a charging dangerous animal at close range I would definitely appreciate a double with two sure shots, bang bang flop dead hopefully. As a matter of having fun to prove a moot point yes go for it and have fun, I just don't see these comparative speed shots between a double gun and a magazine bolt gun under very calm and controlled conditions as being relevant to field conditions considering the situations these dangerous game guns often enough find themselves being used.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #313621 - 07/03/18 08:05 PM

Before we have all out war may I remind everybody that the actual discipline is called "Special Snap" where 8 rounds are fired in 35 seconds with a minimum caliber of 0.330". Four rounds may only be loaded in the bolt actions when first loading and then it is up to the shooter to decide in what order he loads and shoots the remaining four. It is open to bolt action, double rifles and single shots. The original concept for the event was nothing more than having fun shooting 8 rounds in 35 seconds, it was never supposed to be a test to prove one type of firearm to be better than another. The discipline is very popular and is the favorite event of most shooters. I should mention that among all the people who shoot, and most of the BGRC people shoot regularly, there is en even mix of bolt action and doubles with the odd single shot. In the end most people whether young or old and regardless of the firearm type finish the event in between 30 and 35 seconds.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #313624 - 07/03/18 09:35 PM

Wouldnt it have been interesting if Blaser had dispensed with the staight pull bolt knob and instead affixed action bars to the bolt and the other end of the action bars to a sliding forend aka the pump action!! Add to this wonderful reconfiguration a mod that allows stripper clips to reload the mag in the rifle and you have one big ass nasty fast rifle!!! The R8 action is certainly strong enough for large bore DG cartridges and a reconfigure to a pump action would change the game considrerably. Two hands on the stock, never having to shift hands about to work a silly bolt, and a stripper clip to recharge the mag!!!!!!! Aw hell, lets just go full auto!!!!!

Sport hunting is not culling. They are different tasks and may call for different approaches. Fire power “may” be desireable in some certain sticky situations, but not always for the sport hunter. Know your gear, use what makes YOU happy and have respect for those who wish to approach things a little differently.... I want my PH to be a great hunter and to have my back, but first and foremost I want confidence in myself to get me out of a sticky situation with whatever I choose to use. I am most certain that others wont feel a thing if I get clocked by a big pissed off animal. Me on the other hand will feel each and every broken bone and ripped guts.

These discussions are absolutely wonderful to my mind because it allows me to hear about what others think and to get different perspectives on solving a given issue...... I can then assimilate all the opionions and either change or modify mine if something makes sense to me....... I can’t do that without the opinions of others.

Edited by Postman (07/03/18 09:46 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #313625 - 07/03/18 09:56 PM

Quote:

Before we have all out war may I remind everybody that the actual discipline is called "Special Snap" where 8 rounds are fired in 35 seconds with a minimum caliber of 0.330". Four rounds may only be loaded in the bolt actions when first loading and then it is up to the shooter to decide in what order he loads and shoots the remaining four. It is open to bolt action, double rifles and single shots. The original concept for the event was nothing more than having fun shooting 8 rounds in 35 seconds, it was never supposed to be a test to prove one type of firearm to be better than another. The discipline is very popular and is the favorite event of most shooters. I should mention that among all the people who shoot, and most of the BGRC people shoot regularly, there is en even mix of bolt action and doubles with the odd single shot. In the end most people whether young or old and regardless of the firearm type finish the event in between 30 and 35 seconds.

Waidmannsheil.

Exactly.

I found the video interesting and entertaining and illustrative of how a break open double rifle CAN out shoot a bolt action for speed over eight shots in the Special Snap competition. Cool video for mchughcb to post to entertain everyone with.

Does it prove anything absolutely? Of course not.

Good shooting bt mchughcb in both as well. Well done. I asusme it is you in both halves of the video.

BTW if I remember rightly in the BGRC Nationals in Tasmania a few years ago, Alex Beer won it, or was in the top three, shooting a big bore single shot. Eight well aimed shots in 35 seconds from his, I guess, .500 NE.

As for it not "being the rifle, but being the shooter" it shows the guys who do practice shooting rapidly their rifles, and reloading under pressure are better at it if they do this competition many times again and again. Irrespective of whether they are on a range or the crater pocked face of mars, not facing a fire breathing elefalo, hanging off a glacial precipice, while reloading their bolt actioned twin barrelled single shot with one broken arm and the other arm's wrist snapped off ...

PS Same for practicing the charging lion or buffalo target, one, two or three shots, on target, under pressure, also good practice for the real thing. Except the paper target doesn't kill you if you miss a 10 point shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: NitroX]
      #313626 - 07/03/18 09:57 PM

mchughcb,

Please keep posting. And stirring things up. Ha ha.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mchughcb
.333 member

#313638 - 08/03/18 12:16 AM

Quote:

Ripp I remember reading the same of similar. I must confess when I spoke of DG I was thinking Africa where the shooting often starts at 30 yards or closer and for got about Bears. I have not hunted them but a mate tells me his guide said if the bear was coming at them, once it hit the 100 yard mark they would all be firing at it. Something like 3 seconds to close that gap, that is quick.

100 yards or 91m in 3 seconds is a top speed of 109.2km/hr. Unless the bear was tied to the front of a Tesla S model bonnet I'm calling that claim BS.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #313644 - 08/03/18 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp I remember reading the same of similar. I must confess when I spoke of DG I was thinking Africa where the shooting often starts at 30 yards or closer and for got about Bears. I have not hunted them but a mate tells me his guide said if the bear was coming at them, once it hit the 100 yard mark they would all be firing at it. Something like 3 seconds to close that gap, that is quick.

100 yards or 91m in 3 seconds is a top speed of 109.2km/hr. Unless the bear was tied to the front of a Tesla S model bonnet I'm calling that claim BS.

It may be a slight exaggeration but probably not that far off..
If a human can do it in 8.8 seconds, (see below)....humans don't hold a candle to a griz..Have never experienced a charge from a griz..have from a black bear or two..the flat out get after it..have to say the fastest charge I have ever personally witnessed was from a leopard ..insanely fast..could not believe my eyes..

Usain Bolt and the 100 Yard dash. Taking his 9.58 splits from 2009 WC in Berlin, Usain Bolt split 90 meters in 8.75. You can take his last 10m segment (0.83 sec) and multiply that by 0.144 to get 0.1195 seconds. That makes a grand total of 8.75 + 0.12 = 8.87 seconds for an approximate 100 yard dash.

To my knowledge the fast human is around 27MPH --griz in excess of 35mph closer to 40mph..that is smoking...have a friend who, while bow hunting come upon a young male griz on a kill..said he was about 30-40 yards off when he and the bear locked eyes..my friend stepped behind a tree and by the time he had his hand on his gun to pull it out of the holster the bear was beside the tree..not enough time to pull the handgun from the holster...I am old enough now to where I feel I will state, Never say never...within reason of course..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #313647 - 08/03/18 05:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are right - they only run about 35-40mph - what's that? 65kph - so - 4 1/2 seconds for 100meters? Lot so time to get in one shot from my 14 bore single shot ML. lol I'd be waiting a few seconds before shooting.

We (junior forest officers) in a bus driven by a man who absolutely hated bears, chased a big sow black bear down a highway in Northern Ontario at a speed of 35 MPH - for about 1 mile maybe 1 1/2 miles before she veered off the pavement without slowing down while running through some young aspen trees. We could hear her breaking them off as she ran - not kidding, not slowing down at all. That was an eye-opener.

I've read a grizzly or brown can run a little bit faster than that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mchughcb
.333 member

#313652 - 08/03/18 07:12 AM

Quote:

I must be seeing something different, I see you fire a shot then stand by the same fence post you fired from as you reload then move off slightly for another angle to fire your second shot?
Rule303 has obviously been there done that, it just ain't as easy as cranking another round from the magazine of a bolt gun while on the move, or for that matter if things really go south, getting another round up the spout if fallen to the ground. You haven't got a hope in hell of achieving that with a double.

But if facing a charging dangerous animal at close range I would definitely appreciate a double with two sure shots, bang bang flop dead hopefully. As a matter of having fun to prove a moot point yes go for it and have fun, I just don't see these comparative speed shots between a double gun and a magazine bolt gun under very calm and controlled conditions as being relevant to field conditions considering the situations these dangerous game guns often enough find themselves being used.

I shoot three foxes in that sequence. The last one im reloading as it runs past and im running to cut it off. At the point i stop,give it lead and drop it. I have other videos of me running and reloading and firing however because for some reason they are not elephants in every free video i make without adds for people to pass judgement on it completely invalidates anything i say.

Edited by mchughcb (08/03/18 07:15 AM)

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: NitroX]
      #313653 - 08/03/18 07:39 AM

Quote:

mchughcb,

The original post was another day having fun. Now it about how many shots people shoot per year, the need to run towards DG while reloading and how fast a bear can run after a good dump lol!

Yes it was me shooting and filming both with two rifles and calibres i hunt with.

mchughcb
.333 member

#313654 - 08/03/18 08:45 AM

Quote:

was an eye-opener.

I've read a grizzly or brown can run a little bit faster than that.

I have a fair idea how fast a sambar deer can run. and 60km/hr for a fit young stag is tops. I base that on actually chasing one and filming it for about the same distance, on flat even ground.

https://youtu.be/hKEem5SVAd0

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #313664 - 08/03/18 02:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

mchughcb,

The original post was another day having fun. Now it about how many shots people shoot per year, the need to run towards DG while reloading and how fast a bear can run after a good dump lol!

Yes it was me shooting and filming both with two rifles and calibres i hunt with.

Yep, when you do the math's the bear is not going to cover 100yds in 3 sec. I doubt anybody has actually timed it over a measured 100yds. I presume they are just going off estimates. 4.5 sec to cover the 100 still does not give to much time to scratch your bum and pick your nose before shooting.:-)

Your the one that tried to show how you could reload a hinged rifle while running. Yes we know it can be done but the context you presented it in, was that it could be done with ease. Just showing that in the situations we were talking about, with ease it most likely can not be done.

As you know what a thread starts out as most often changes a bit.

The original post was good and entertaining for sure.

Edited by Rule303 (08/03/18 02:22 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313666 - 08/03/18 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

mchughcb,

Yeah mate I realised it was just a fun video. Good on you for posting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

#313671 - 08/03/18 05:03 PM

Quote:

Of course it can be done, I certainly didn't deny that just as I have acknowledged the OP's post of having fun with a Blaser versus double. I have only pointed out that when it comes to a comparative experiment, after other posters queried experience, number of shots fired etc, etc, that there is a big difference if the same test was done in the field under duress.

Running after a fox in a flat paddock while reloading your top barrel on your Blaser is hardly a good comparison with reloading both barrels of a double rifle in a hurry with dangerous game breathing down your neck while on the run and 90% or more of the time, in scrub and on uneven ground.

I do enjoy your videos, I'm sure I seen some before. I've used my U/O Miroku with a 22 magnum insert for hunting rabbit and hare, shame we don't have foxes here, but all good fun as you seem to have with your Blaser

mchughcb
.333 member

#313675 - 08/03/18 05:34 PM

Those loads are 42gr magnum loads and in some cases 56gr loads. They have enough recoil alright. And right up there with the 9.3x74R 286gr.

I guess nobody is satisfied until i get a statistical outcomeof 10 helephumps being shot several times at several angles running to and from the target while self filming. I mean how hard can it be?

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #313676 - 08/03/18 05:57 PM

I am satisfied but would still like to see that.

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Claydog]
      #313678 - 08/03/18 06:19 PM

My experience in the north RSA where there was elephants , lions and leopards was visibility was quite poor in the elephant thorns, ground was quite flat and there weren't many, if any trees to hid or climb if you were attacked. Pretty much like jungle regrowth when i was in Venezuela. So the notion of getting much more than two shots off or running regardless of the uneveness under foot would have been a bad outcome. But that was just my own observation.

Edited by mchughcb (08/03/18 06:21 PM)

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #313679 - 08/03/18 07:10 PM

I have on a few rare occasions had to shoot a charging water buffalo that had been wounded. I have also seen how some other people have reacted to the situation and I have found it to be a very interesting experience. I don't like to shoot when guiding as it is not my hunt and only fire when I believe someone will get hurt or an animal will get away wounded. It is very rare for one to charge but the few times it has I let the hunter have the opportunity to shoot it first. Until someone is in that situation they do not know how they will react. It is not like any simulation you could dream up. The first time I was in the situation I was surprised at a couple of things. First thing was physically feeling my heart rate increase at the realisation of what was happening was for real. The next thing was how everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. I noticed details of the animal like a chipped horn and the muscle movement in the neck behind the head as it was coming towards me. I had no thought at all of running and the only movement I made was to step around the hunter and ask him to get behind me. He had shot twice with no effect. I resisted the urge to shoot and waited until the animal got close enough that I was sure I would hit it where I wanted to. It seemed to take forever but I think it was about 15yards when I shot it and hit it just where the spine joins the head as it dropped its head. I believe hunters panic and start shooting at too great a distance and concentrate too much on firing quickly. Patience and remaining calm are what I believe wins out. I had read JA Hunter describing waiting out a charge until you could be sure of a shot and if it was good enough for him it is sure good enough for me. This has been my experience only and it may be completely different for others. If you try this and miss. Don't call me.

mchughcb
.333 member

#313680 - 08/03/18 08:42 PM

Quote:

At least in NA & Australia, there is vermin ripe for rifle practice - GET OUT and DO IT!

Every week
Not much time for the third.

Shooting fromt the hip

No time for three shots

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double Rifle Speed versus Blaser Straight Pull [Re: Claydog]
      #313684 - 08/03/18 10:36 PM

Quote:

I resisted the urge to shoot and waited until the animal got close enough that I was sure I would hit it where I wanted to. It seemed to take forever but I think it was about 15yards when I shot it and hit it just where the spine joins the head as it dropped its head.

Yep it can be hard to wait, but the shot is surer when the beast is closer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #313692 - 09/03/18 04:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mchughcb,

Yep, when you do the math's the bear is not going to cover 100yds in 3 sec. I doubt anybody has actually timed it over a measured 100yds. I presume they are just going off estimates. 4.5 sec to cover the 100 still does not give to much time to scratch your bum and pick your nose before shooting.:-)

Your the one that tried to show how you could reload a hinged rifle while running. Yes we know it can be done but the context you presented it in, was that it could be done with ease. Just showing that in the situations we were talking about, with ease it most likely can not be done.

As you know what a thread starts out as most often changes a bit.

The original post was good and entertaining for sure.

Hmmm ..Weird...

I'm hearing crickets to this...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21625

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com