Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 411 tigers in India vanish in five years..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Lynx
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/04
Loc: Rajasthan, India
411 tigers in India vanish in five years..
      #31350 - 18/05/05 12:48 AM

Article from www.rediff.com/tigers

May 17, 2005 16:47 IST

In a startling disclosure, the Union government has informed the Supreme Court that as many as 411 tigers vanished from the forests across India between 1999 and 2003, at least 352 of them killed by poachers.

"An independent agency was commissioned to compile and analyse the available country-level tiger poaching data over a period of five years. The data collected records 411 cases during the five years out of which 173 records relate to mortality and 238 records relate to seizures," an affidavit filed by the Ministry of Environment and Forests before the court said.

The affidavit was filed in response to environmentalist Ashok Kumar's application seeking extension of the Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the Sariska Tiger Reserve to other Project Tiger locations.

The affidavit said poachers were most active in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra, accounting for 24 and 23 tiger deaths respectively in the last five years. Thirteen tigers were killed in Madhya Pradesh during the period.

Interestingly, despite the CBI reporting that not a single tiger was left in Sariska Tiger Reserve, the ministry said only two tigers were killed by poachers here in the five year period.

Only 59 tigers died a natural death in the five-year period and only the states of Madhya Pradesh (15), Uttar Pradesh (12) and Uttaranchal (10) reported double-digit mortality figures.

From the 238 seizures of tiger skins and 219 of body parts, Madhya Pradesh topped the list with 57 cases followed by Uttar Pradesh (44), West Bengal (39), Maharashtra (19), Uttaranchal (15) and Andhra Pradesh (11), the ministry said.

"The international border of India with Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar is relatively porous which facilitates illegal transfer of contraband, including wildlife items across these borders," the affidavit said.

The Steering Committee of Project Tiger in its meeting on April 12 this year listed the Tiger reserves in Uttaranchal (Corbett and Rajaji National Park), Uttar Pradesh (Dudhwa), Madhya Pradesh (Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Pench and
Panna), Maharashtra (Tadoba, Pench and Melghat), West Bengal (Sunderbans), Assam (Kaziranga), Tamil Nadu (Mudumalai), Karnataka (Bandipur and Nagarhole) and Rajasthan (Ranthambore) and said they deserve special attention for control of poaching of tigers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: 411 tigers in India vanish in five years.. [Re: Lynx]
      #31357 - 18/05/05 01:46 AM

Lynx,

The bollocks that the Forest Department officials have been giving to save their backsides is really getting on a lot of peoples' nerves. Yesterday, reports confirmed that Panna had only 10 tigers left while the babus claimed that it had 34. The numbers are down from 45 about a decade ago. I seriously wish that someone would request the Supreme Court to take a stand on punishing official incompetence as there is already a PIL with them. There is no way that poaching could go on without official connivance of some sort.

Thanks for posting - this is sad news, indeed, but, hopefully, we'll get better news in the future.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 411 tigers in India vanish in five years.. [Re: Lynx]
      #31360 - 18/05/05 01:56 AM

Lynx

I am reading Anderson at the moment. It is really sad to compare wildlife then to now.

Population is unfortunately a big change. But I have also seen tiger parts openly displayed for sale in Northern Burma (Myanmar). They have to be coming from somewhere.

I hope your conservation project / lobbying is going well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1475

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com