Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Nsiro
.224 member

Reged: 26/10/04
Loc: Portugal
Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62
      #313528 - 06/03/18 04:00 AM

Hi all,

Last week when visiting a gun shop nearby I came across a Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62mm rifle, I think it is the GK model (not 100% sure), anyway having owned a Steyr S rifle for the last 23 years, which I love and still use a lot, I became interested in this classic rifle, after looking at the rifle and hnadling it a bit I have some doubts / concerns about wich I would very much appreciate your comments ans input.

What I liked / Pros

- Design, beautiful classic rifle
- Super smooth bolt operation
-All metal magazine (one of the biggest flaws I see on my Steyer S (have already broken one Makrolon magazine)
- Caliber, I also own a Sauer 202 stutzen in 9.3x62mm and really love the caliber for Boar and Red Stag

Concerns / Doubts

- The rifle felt really light when handling it, did not weight it, but it should not weight more than 3.1 / 3.2 Kg. 7 lbs

- Thin stock, especially on the comb, with significant drop, although it lines up fast with the open sights, and handles really nice

The two factors combined make me think it might have excessive, uncomfortable recoil.

- No scope bases, this might limit the use, but as I mainly hunt boars in dense areas I could use it as Is, if I can find and change the front sight/bead for a bigger and more visible bead, the one installed is brass and very thin ( I would say about 1.5mm)

- Availability of parts / spares in case of breakage : firing pin, some spring, etc

- Possibility of stock cracks/failure due to the thin section and 9.3x62mm recoil

Please let me know what you think.

Cheerīs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62 [Re: Nsiro]
      #313532 - 06/03/18 04:27 AM

I've never thought of the 9.3x62 as a kicker.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #313533 - 06/03/18 04:32 AM

Nsiro, you are a gifted man as 9,3x62 Mannlicher Schoenauer were never common; the best option in order to get the most appropriate answers to your questions would be for you to post photos of the rifle. In the meantime I will make some preliminary comments:
- Mannlicher Schoenauer are light rifles by design; my own M. 1924 in 9,3x62 weighs 3,450 kg with scope mounts.
- Spare parts are not easy to find however, as for Mauser rifles, it is very rare that one incurs breaks; cracks in the stock can be noticed by stripping the rifle.
- As there are no scope bases you should be able to identify your model from the markings on the front part of the action. If the rifle is a M. 1924 (the first model to be offered in 9,3x62) you should find "Made in Austria - Patent Mannlicher Schoenauer - Kal. 9,3x62", if it's a GK you should have "Made in Austria - Original Mannlicher Schoenauer - Mod. GK - Kal . 9,3x62"; you may also find the same markings as for the "GK" but with "Mod. 1950" (when production resumed after WW2) and all subsequent models also offered in 9,3x62.
Anyway congratulations on your find. Best regards. Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62 [Re: Louis]
      #313535 - 06/03/18 05:42 AM

Buy it, quickly.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Edited by Rell (07/03/18 03:14 AM)

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62 [Re: Rell]
      #313537 - 06/03/18 06:40 AM

I have shot the 9.5 Mannlicher which is pretty much the same thing and same sort of weight. Yes it kicked, but no more than say a 12 bore side by side with an 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz load when you take a carefully aimed stationary shot. I doubt you will notice in on a boar.

Mannlichers were generally fitted with either a swing mount or a claw mounts, with the front base affixed to the barrel in front of the action. These are not going to be cheap.

But for a 9.3 its meant to be used on big game at shorter distances so buy it and use the open sights.

Re fixing - there is somebody in Austria remaking these rifles I believe. There will be spare parts about if needed. As for the stock - if it was going to break / crack it would have done so by now. If it does crack, well it can always be glued and pinned so that it will be stronger. Most cracking is caused by a loose action, possibly due to wood drying out too much.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #313567 - 06/03/18 05:57 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Last week when visiting a gun shop nearby I came across a Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62mm rifle, I think it is the GK model (not 100% sure),

Concerns / Doubts

- The rifle felt really light when handling it, did not weight it, but it should not weight more than 3.1 / 3.2 Kg. 7 lbs

- Thin stock, especially on the comb, with significant drop, although it lines up fast with the open sights, and handles really nice

The two factors combined make me think it might have excessive, uncomfortable recoil.

- No scope bases, this might limit the use, but as I mainly hunt boars in dense areas I could use it as Is, if I can find and change the front sight/bead for a bigger and more visible bead, the one installed is brass and very thin ( I would say about 1.5mm)

View this link:
MCA

The information is from the Mannlicher Collectors Association.

I am more familiar with the 'pre war' MS, as I have a M1910 Takedown (9.5X57).

As for your concerns, I agree with Louis' and Heym's observations. The light weight makes it a breeze to carry and, as you've noticed, "lines up fast with the open sights and handles really nice."

That is just as intended. Though the comb's drop and apparent delicacy of the stock may seem odd at first to the modern shooter, they were designed for stalking and 'snap shooting' with iron sights - perhaps the perfect 'pig gun.'

Recoil isn't bad at all as long as you hold her nice and tight to the shoulder. Mine wears its original steel buttplate and it's never bothered me a bit.

Scope mounts were usually 'see through' (as are mine) so that one can still 'snap shoot' through the iron sights with a scope mounted. Claw mounts allow instant removal or replacement of a scope with precise and automatic return to 'zero.'

Scope mounting over the open bridge of a MS is difficult and expensive, however. This is a photo of a very 'clean' MS scope mount. Many have a dovetail cut into (or a saddle added to) the front receiver ring or (as on mine) just ahead of it.

This is the 'pre-war' MS, from the 1939 Stoeger.

Given your list of 'positives' (though hard to say without photos) I'm inclined to say seal the deal before it gets away. Mannlicher Schoenauers are considered to be among the finest sporting arms ever (mass) produced, and if you buy this you'll soon see why.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Nsiro
.224 member

Reged: 26/10/04
Loc: Portugal
Re: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62 [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #313623 - 07/03/18 09:18 PM

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate them.

I will try and go by the gun shop this weekend for a more thorough inspection of the rifle, I will look at the stock carefully, the barrel rifling and look for any defect, if all is ok I will probably buy it, try to find a white front bead and a "V" style blade for the back sight, and use it for pigs with open sights only.

Thank you all again.

Cheerīs

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #313674 - 08/03/18 05:28 PM

Keep us posted!

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Info / Advice Mannlicher Schonauer 9.3x62 [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #314454 - 25/03/18 02:33 PM

Nsiro

Enough said....buy it immediately !!

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com