Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser???
      #313370 - 02/03/18 03:10 AM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/2/28/can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-swedish-mauser/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: Ripp]
      #313374 - 02/03/18 05:04 AM

A bundle of these, practically new-unfired, hit Prince George back in the mid 1980's. A few of the guys I worked with bought them, went out, sighted them in with 156gr. Norma ammo(my recommendation) and proceeded to shoot moose that fall with them.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: DarylS]
      #313383 - 02/03/18 08:42 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #313384 - 02/03/18 08:45 AM

My first centrefire. Rasped a cheeckpiece into the stock whittled it down and had it drilled and tapped for a set of mounts. Great cheap hunting rifle. Would be an awful lot of them around Australia.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: Claydog]
      #313387 - 02/03/18 10:00 AM

https://www.badacetactical.com/collectio...unt-low-profile

This mount is not the only one like it, but could not discover the name of other one that I had and put on a m96 I had.

That particular rifle put 140's, 129's and 160's into 1 1/2" groups, each, with it's battle sights - 100 yards, 3-shot groups. Before I could test the rifle with a scope, my best friend traded me out of it.

A long eye relief scope will be necessary, but being able to use stripper clips is a bonus!

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #313436 - 02/03/18 09:47 PM

I've a cut back Mauser 96 from a M38 rifle in 6.5x55mm. Purchased it second hand with its stock already partly butchered. Mounts and a cheapie scope. Still with its mil trigger.

Like that or now with a cheapie synthetic stock, with the FMJ ammo once commonly available, I have several hundred rounds of it, it is extremely accurate. At 100m consistent one hole three shot groups.

This rifle is a bit of an extra for me. Actually acquired it as a loaner rifle for visiting hunter friends.

When I mentioned the "black monstrous tactical" stock for my Colombian M98, I was actually looking to convert this M38/M96 into one. They don't make their stocks for the M96 but said they might one day.

The 6.5x55 is actually marketed as a military sniper rifle by CZ. I'm not sure who's military uses it as a mil sniper rifle, but some may well do so.

Of course the other option would be a nice custom or semi custom sporter M96 rifle with a walnut stock. By chance I also have such a partly finished M96 stock for it already on the shelf. The stepped barrel is a bit off on a nice rifle. Not sure if I would want to have the steps turned off, and definitely not interested in a new barrel. On balance would much prefer to spend on a nice Mannlicher-Schoenauer than the Swedish Mauser mil rifle.

A new trigger should be done however.

Some have the cock on closing feature modified to cock on opening. Not interested in that. Its not longer a M96 then.

On the ballistics, I thought the 6.5x55 exceeded the 6.5 Creedmoor in velocity?

I'll be keeping my M96 6.5x55.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: NitroX]
      #313437 - 02/03/18 09:51 PM

The article talks about how during fire side conversations no one criticises it.

A school friend of mine, had one of the long barreled M96's. Later when managing a Flinders Ranges sheep station, the properties owner's son, decided it was crap and worth ridiculing. Obvious some 'fancy' Rem 700 was the bees knees ... Unfortunately he did sell his.

One of those long barrelled rifles in original condition would make a cool wall hanger.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#313448 - 03/03/18 05:03 AM

Years ago - early 1990's I suspect, I had a 29" M96, 1912 Swede that had been "sporterized", ie: stock cut off. I shortened the barrel to 26" & re-chambered it to 6.5x68S - just because I could.
I still have all the data on that rifle in one of my 3-ring loading note binders.
I kept the loads lighter than my buddy was loading & one day we went out looking for something to shoot. Mid afternoon, Keith stopped the truck as in the middle of the round, about 200yards way, was a snowshoe hare. I got out, chambered a round (129gr. Hornady Sp at 3,100fps) leaned on the door jam and aimed at the bunny. Just as I was taking up the slack, another hopped out onto the road and stopped immediately behind the first. I said to Keith "2 for one" - how far do ya figure"? he said "not a chance - maybe 200". I barely had to move a few inches to line them up and "POW/SPAT"! 2 for one. We walked down and both got 200yards to the first one, another 20 to the second one. Through the scope they looked like they were almost touching.

The bullet went through just under the shoulders of the first - surprisingly didn't blow up, - 2" hole though which just about cut it in half, just the same, but maybe not enough resistance in ribs and lungs to blow the bullet, hit the ground just about exactly 1/2 way between them then sprayed the second hare with stones and bullet fragments - looked like he'd caught a load of BB shot. About 1/2 the bullet also went through his shoulders, just a rectangular hole. He had little stones stuck in his muscles, head to haunches.

We had a good chuckle about that bunny's "time" being up.

That was my most memorable British Columbia 6.5mm shot for this child. I wrote it up and posted it with a picture on the staff notice board at the jail, to let their kids know I'd shot Peter and his accomplice. LOL 'Some' of the staff thought it was funny, others not so much. The stew tasted just fine.

The 96 action was not long enough to eject a loaded round, so the bolt had to be withdrawn slightly to get a round out of the chamber, but it would eject a fired case.

This chambering blew up 120 gr.Speer and 140gr. Speer bullets alike. The 129 HOrnady's surprised me by staying together and shooting just barely under an inch.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: Homer]
      #313450 - 03/03/18 07:12 AM

Quote:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Homer

More than agree there Homer, they are a very nice little (or I should say LOOOONNG) package!

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #313460 - 03/03/18 10:05 PM

John, funny you mention the stepped barrel. I really like the look, I customised one in my youth and thought the stepped barrel looked shit hot and it shot like stink too. Reminded me af an artillery barrel

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Can-you-hunt-with-it-model-1896-Swedish-Mauser??? [Re: Viking338]
      #313628 - 07/03/18 10:09 PM

Quote:

John, funny you mention the stepped barrel. I really like the look, I customised one in my youth and thought the stepped barrel looked shit hot and it shot like stink too. Reminded me af an artillery barrel

True enough. But spending lots of money on really nice walnut, stock shaping, etc, really is not worth it for a mil stepped barrel.

The M96/M38 6.5x55 shoots so well as is, so why change it too much.

If wanting a super nice custom 6.5x55, one of Joel's (Dorleac) M98 custom rifles in the calibre would be it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313629 - 07/03/18 10:11 PM

BTW I feel the reason the Swedish 6.5x55 is more successful than the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer is the 55 shoots the 100 to 140 grain projectiles so much better. With the M-S rifles often preferring the heavier 156 to 160 gr round nose projectiles.

What do people think?

Plus of course ammo and brass being available.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #313781 - 10/03/18 11:42 AM

G'Day Fella's,

I'm not sure NitroX but I just purchased 200 new Lapua, 6.5x55 cases.
I think this link, got this idea started (Thank You Ripp)!

I have an old BSA Royal rifle in .243Win, and it has a magazine long enough for the x55 cartridge (but maybe 0.050"/1.25mm short for some Factory ammo).
So getting with the current 6.5 movement, it is appropriate to start with one of the oldest....... in the 21st Century.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #313783 - 10/03/18 12:28 PM

Quote:

BTW I feel the reason the Swedish 6.5x55 is more successful than the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer is the 55 shoots the 100 to 140 grain projectiles so much better. With the M-S rifles often preferring the heavier 156 to 160 gr round nose projectiles.

What do people think?

Plus of course ammo and brass being available.

The recent 6.5 fad is a long-range fad.
Long range wants longer, higher BC bullets, which want fast twist barrels.
The best brass is the Lapua brass, and many top competitors highly consider the Lapua catalog offerings when they choose their cartridge.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4387

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com