Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Schoenauer Schnapps

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Schoenauer Schnapps
      #313301 - 28/02/18 05:12 PM

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Schoenauer Schnapps [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #313302 - 28/02/18 05:17 PM

I am guessing it would be very smooth.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Schoenauer Schnapps [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #313304 - 28/02/18 07:34 PM

its vor cleaning the barrel

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Schoenauer Schnapps [Re: lancaster]
      #313336 - 01/03/18 11:23 AM

Quote:

its vor cleaning the barrel

Ja!

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#313381 - 02/03/18 06:12 AM

because the M 88, here as the artillery carbine M 91, is the grandsir of the Mannlicher Schönauer you use it for this barrel too

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #313398 - 02/03/18 03:57 PM

Quote:

I don't believe I have ever drank Schnapps!

Even with numerous trips to Germany and Austria.

What is it like?

Fruit flavoured like this one with Apple, Peach as well. Can it be Apricot flovoured? I hate apricots! Used to have several hundred trees and even the stink of it ... any other Schnapps flavours?

Maybe could try my first Schnapps, Schoenauer Schnapps!

I think we should have a "Nitro Express Whiskey".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Schoenauer Schnapps [Re: NitroX]
      #313413 - 02/03/18 06:36 PM

if you go realy into this - I believe -
a Nitro Express Wiskey or maybe a Nitro Express Brandy(its closer to your business) could be a success

dont know if its neseccary this liquid have the taste of cordite

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313416 - 02/03/18 08:03 PM

Quote:

Can it be Apricot flovoured? I hate apricots! Used to have several hundred trees and even the stink of it ... any other Schnapps flavours?

Maybe could try my first Schnapps, Schoenauer Schnapps!

Apricot Schnapps

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313417 - 02/03/18 08:13 PM

YUCK !!!

Plum and Pear schnapps I belive also are available.

What about cherry schnapps? What else?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313418 - 02/03/18 08:16 PM

So what is it? Just a tasteless vodka flavoured with fruit flavours? Schapps is made out of - what? I will do a quick search.

I remember a friend I shared a flat with once, a lovely German girl, mother of super model Toni Gaarn, saying she liked a schapps, first thing in the morning. Clears the head!

Ha ha, bit early for me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313419 - 02/03/18 08:29 PM

OK I was wrong. I probably have had Schnapps as in Jagermeister. Which I don't think I particularly like. Have to try it again, have a bottle somewhere. Also I reckon I have a bottle of some DeKruyper Butterscoth Schnapps. Probably unopened A female acquaintance liked to mix the Butterscotch Schnapps with Baileys Irish creme, aka as a Cowboy Cocksucker ... she was probably.

Kuduae and Lancaster would probably shoot me for aclling some of these "schnappes".

This article makes a distinction between German or European Schnapps and "American" Schnapps. The only reason I include the American 'version' is because I have had a version of it. Visiting a friends house in Le Mans, Nicole, we attended a dinner where at the end and after seven courses of food and seven different wines the evening finished off with a very alcoholic homemade "cherry brandy. A clear alcohol, in jars with whole cherries soaked in the alcohol. Thius seems like the American version of schnapps.

At the end of this dinner, only had to walk down the hall to our bedroom, which wa s quite an effort. Everyone either lived in the house, or were neighbours next door.

Also had a cherry alcohol, home made by some of EirkD's hunting crew in Norway, a couple of older gentlemen, when we visited them for Erik to discuss the elg hunt, and drink beer, cherry "brandy" or perhaps schnapps and smoke cigars.

By the way one of sisters had the nickname Schnapps.

The article:

What Is Schnapps?

Schnapps is a type of distilled spirit that has two meanings.

Essentially, true schnapps is made by fermenting fruit juices along with the base liquor. In this sense, schnapps is considered a fruit brandy or eau de vie.

The result of this schnapps process is a stronger and often clear distilled spirit, much like a lightly flavored vodka.

In contrast, schnapps in the United States is often used to describe a category of sweetened, fruit-flavored liqueurs (there are exceptions to the fruit). Instead of distilling the fruit, liqueurs are often made by steeping fruits in alcohol after fermentation and/or distillation.

As we see often with these varieties of schnapps, flavor and color additives are frequently added. That is a step you will not find in authentic schnapps.
European Schnapps

The German word for schnapps drops one 'p' and translates into English to mean hard liquor, booze, and the like. Schnaps is used to describe any strong distilled spirit, particularly those of at least 32% ABV (64 proof).

The word also comes with a loose translation of snap, referring to the strength of the spirits.

While schnaps can technically refer to any liquor, it is often used for fruit brandies distilled from fresh fruit juices. These are often called Obstler, or fruit schnaps. Apple, apricot, cherry, pear, and plum are the most popular flavors and many distillers grow their own fruit for their schnaps.

Tip: If you're traveling in Europe and looking for schnaps, you may have to be more specific about what you're looking for because of these double meanings. Obstler will likely be the best bet when seeking fruit brandies. Also, German for fruit is ​die Frucht or das Obst.

Schnaps is most popular in Germany, where it originated for medicinal uses. Austria, Denmark, and Switzerland are also big on the schnaps. European drinkers rarely mix their schnaps into cocktails, opting instead to enjoy it straight out of the bottle and often before or after a meal.
North American Schnapps

In the United States, schnapps is used to describe a category of liquors that have often been on the lower end of the quality spectrum. There are exceptions and good schnapps can be found at a higher price.

These spirits are often drier than their sweet liqueur counterparts. For example, peppermint schnapps is not as sweet as creme de menthe. They are flavored with a variety of fruits and spices.

The alcohol content of these schnapps can range from between 15 to 25% ABV (30 to 50 proof) depending on the brand. This is significantly lower than the German definition of schnaps .

Some schnapps use a mix of flavors, others can be considered outlandish, and a few can be very tart, bitter, and not the best to mix with.

Then again, there is some very good schnapps available.
Flavors of Schnapps

Schnapps come in a great variety of flavors and they are fun to use in mixed drinks. Apple, butterscotch, cinnamon, peach, and peppermint are by far the most popular schnapps flavors in the bar.

If you prefer, a liqueur of the same flavor can be used as a substitute for schnapps, but it's important to remember that often (though not always) the liqueur is sweeter. You may have to make some adjustments to the recipe to compensate for this.

Apple
Apricot
Banana
Blackberry
Butterscotch
Cherry
Cinnamon
Grape
Lemon
Peach
Peppermint
Root beer
Watermelon

Tips for Buying Schnapps

If you're looking for the German equivalent to schnaps in the U.S., seek fruit brandies instead. Many craft distillers are producing excellent bottles of apple, apricot, and other flavored brandy that rival many European schnaps.

Tip: Do be wary of 'brandies' that have sweeteners, these are not true brandies and are instead liqueurs (or closer to the American definition of schnapps).

Many drink recipes that call for schnapps refer to the North American definition. When it comes to those, these brands are the most popular.

Arrow
DeKuyper
Dr. McGillicuddy
Hiram Walker

Tip: Even in this category, all schnapps are not created equal and you often get what you pay for. Shop smart and fork over a few extra dollars to improve your drinks.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-schnapps-759917

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/03/18 08:36 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313420 - 02/03/18 08:29 PM

Quote:

This is as close as I could find on the 'net.

Perhaps we could set these guys to task on a .375 x 2.25" NE Rimless Stout?

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313421 - 02/03/18 08:35 PM

Quote:

So what is it? Schapps is made out of - what? I will do a quick search.

What is Schnapps?

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#313422 - 02/03/18 08:37 PM

Quote:

So what is it? Just a tasteless vodka flavoured with fruit flavours? Schapps is made out of - what? I will do a quick search.

common, if the people wish to drink cheap vodka with bullshit flavours I would not hesitate to sell it!

Schapps is any kind of hard alcohol, I would say anything over 30%. in special I would call Korn (grain brandy), Wacholderschnaps (Genever-Gin)and real fruit brandy a Schnaps.
Wisky,Brandy, Rum and Vodka are also "Schnaps but would not called this way, they are what they are.
You will find "cheap" Schnaps like you find cheap wiskey or brandy too. different from Schnaps is liqueur, this fill your definition of tasteless vodka flavoured with fruit flavours many times. something like Jägermeister is a Kräuterschnaps or herb liqueur. such schnaps were developt by old pharmacist and you can drink them for medical reasons.

Schnaps is important for death drinking

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313423 - 02/03/18 08:44 PM

This isn't too bad an explanation.

What are Schnapps and Cordials?

There's some confusion about what schnapps is, what cordials are, and what liqueurs are. This situation is exascerbated by some benign misuse in the commercial alcohol market, as well as regional interpretations that can be quite different. So while I can offer some technical definitions, don't go complaining to your local liquor store that some bottle or other is mislabeled...

For years I labored under the mistaken impression that "schnapps" was just another synonym for "liqueur." Indeed, more than once I've been asked what the technical difference between a schnapps and a liqueur really was, and not only could I not say, I couldn't find any books that could say, either. Finally, someone came along and gave me the real story. Many thanks to Albert Grimm for setting me straight.

In his own words, Schnapps, a German word, "is the generic term for all white (clear) brandies distilled from fermented fruits. True Schnapps has no sugar added and is definitely an aquired taste, particularly for nationalities not used to raw distillates." So schnappses are different from liqueurs on two major fronts, they being both fermented and distilled, where liqueurs are simply fruits steeped in an alcohol which has already been fermented and distilled. You will also hear the words eau de vie in the context of liqueurs. I believe (though I'm always happy to be corrected) that this is a French expression for an unsweetened fruit brandy, very similar in nature to Schnapps. It has come to be used to mean an unsweetened liqueur as well, probably because of the similarity of taste and texture. But the original meaning was most likely as a brandy. Anyway, most significantly, this means that the run-of-the-mill home liqueur maker will never be able to really capture the whole essence of many commercial schnappses. The chemistry just isn't there.

Now, this doesn't mean that you should throw your hands up and walk away from ever trying to make a decent copy of a true schnapps. Liqueurs do go a long way towards tasting like real schnapps, and can make some compelling tastes on their own. One of my original intents in making liqueurs was to copy peach schnapps. I can't make it perfect, but a simple peach liqueur with some strategic addition of glycerine can fool all but the most discriminating palates.

It's worth noting that true German schnapps is not what we get in the United States. The major American commercial brands are all heavily sweetened, and have added glycerine as well. It's about as close to true German schnapps perhaps as American beer is to its German counterparts. If you want to try to capture the taste of a true schnapps, consider making an eau de vie. Basically, make your liqueur, but ignore the requirements for sugar. Whether to add the extra water without sugar is your own choice. I recommend experimentation, as always.

Cordial, on the other hand, has a different meaning depending on where you say it. In the US, it almost always means a syrupy, sweet alcoholic beverage. In fact, in the US, "liqueur," "schnapps" and "cordial" all occupy that nebulous field of flavored hard liquor, with varying degrees of sweetness. In many other parts of the world, most commonly the British Commonwealth and her former possessions, cordial actually means a non-alcoholic, sweet, syrupy drink. One of the most well-known commercial cordials, Cadbury-Schweppes' Rose's Lime Cordial, is a good example of this confusion. Originating in London, Rose's Lime has always been called "cordial" among the English. But in North America, it's called Rose's Lime Juice because consumers, upon reading "cordial," would immediately think "alcoholic."

Unfortunately, we Americans all drink soda (I mean tonic - I mean pop), so there seems to be very little domestic market for the things the British would call a cordial, except as cocktail mixers. So if you're looking for recipes for UK-style, non-alcoholic cordials, I definitely don't have any, but I can't even suggest what a better term to look for them would be.

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/schnapps.htm

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313424 - 02/03/18 08:44 PM

Quote:

YUCK !!!

Plum and Pear schnapps I belive also are available.

What about cherry schnapps? What else?

Pretty much any flavor one can imagine.

This one's probably very good or very bad.

I just loves me some boysenberries!

Knott's

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313425 - 02/03/18 08:51 PM

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313426 - 02/03/18 08:56 PM

Quote:

a Nitro Express Wiskey or maybe a Nitro Express Brandy(its closer to your business) could be a success

It is possible to buy single cask single malt Scotch whiskies. Would be a great source to have a special labelling of.

Here is one I have a bottle of, which is very excellent.

Not cheap btw.

https://whiskybaron.com.au/blair-athol-1...-sherry-finish/

I do like the ex-sherry cask Blair Athol offerings. A friend who is the importer had a tasting of some nine or twelve single cask single malt whiskys last year.

I like this one the best so bought a bottle. In good company very close to the same offering Rigby is using for their labelled Scotch, also a Blair Athol Single Cask, Single Malt Scotch Whiskey. Not sure of the ageing of theirs. Similar age.

Quite a few other choices and option.

As for doing it? Problems of working capital, and distribution. Sending wine, alcohol or spirits around the world to various countries and legal jurisdictions can vary from easy - eg sent wine to Germany and Denmakr and just arrived at their door - to taxing - sent wine to Norway and ErikD got a HUGE tax bill, which we managed to negotiate down to 10% !!! - to gaoling, like probably some states in the USA !!! Not to mention international freignt costs can today be extremely high. Sending a dozen bottles of wine can sometimes cost more than the wine purchase price. Same even with sending a book, postage is higher than the book price!!!

Would be fantastic to do it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313427 - 02/03/18 08:57 PM

Quote:

Well, they are on the same page.
Cordite - Cordial

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313428 - 02/03/18 08:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

common, if the people wish to drink cheap vodka with bullshit flavours I would not hesitate to sell it!

Schapps is any kind of hard alcohol, I would say anything over 30%. in special I would call Korn (grain brandy), Wacholderschnaps (Genever-Gin)and real fruit brandy a Schnaps.
Wisky,Brandy, Rum and Vodka are also "Schnaps but would not called this way, they are what they are.
You will find "cheap" Schnaps like you find cheap wiskey or brandy too. different from Schnaps is liqueur, this fill your definition of tasteless vodka flavoured with fruit flavours many times. something like Jägermeister is a Kräuterschnaps or herb liqueur. such schnaps were developt by old pharmacist and you can drink them for medical reasons.

My Austrian friend liked Irish Whisky for his 'death drinking', ie Waidmannsheil.

Cool photo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/03/18 09:10 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313429 - 02/03/18 09:07 PM

Quote:

Cool photo as well.

A line up of Nitro Expresses, a couple of pointers a picnic with a lovely fraulein.

Wouldn't it be great to do some publicity with some lovely Frauleins.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313430 - 02/03/18 09:09 PM

Quote:

As for doing it? Problems of working capital, and distribution. Sending wine, alcohol or spirits around the world to various countries and legal jurisdictions can vary from easy - eg sent wine to Germany and Denmakr and just arrived at their door - to taxing - sent wine to Norway and ErikD got a HUGE tax bill, which we managed to negotiate down to 10% !!! - to gaoling, like probably some states in the USA !!! Not to mention international freignt costs can today be extremely high. Sending a dozen bottles of wine can sometimes cost more than the wine purchase price. Same even with sending a book, postage is higher than the book price!!!

Not to mention the cost of having bottles made to resemble oversized Nitro Express brass cartridge cases!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313431 - 02/03/18 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, they are on the same page.
Cordite - Cordial

Maybe we could pull some old ammo apart, .303's or whatever, drop a stick of cordite in each bottle.

Not sure if that would improve the flavour though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313432 - 02/03/18 09:18 PM

Quote:

Maybe we could pull some old ammo apart, .303's or whatever, drop a stick of cordite in each bottle.

Not sure if that would improve the flavour though.

I've got some old DWM 531 (9.5X57) of 1926 manufacture.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313433 - 02/03/18 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not to mention the cost of having bottles made to resemble oversized Nitro Express brass cartridge cases!

No that would be the individual bottle cardboard packaging.

Just have to win Lotto tomorrow night and "here we go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313434 - 02/03/18 09:26 PM

Matching "Nitro Expres" cigars of course. :gin:

Actually had a good look at that one a few years ago.

Guns, Ammo, Alcohol & Tobacco, are all EASY businesses to do internationally! The only one tougher is pharmaceuticals! Maybe a choice bit of Peruvian or Bolivian Coca Leaf. (btw coca leaf is actually quite good, and not like its refined derivative).

I think I will setup a new trading business - the

Business of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. :O

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313435 - 02/03/18 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cool photo as well.

A line up of Nitro Expresses, a couple of pointers a picnic with a lovely fraulein.

Wouldn't it be great to do some publicity with some lovely Frauleins.

Note the name of the brewery (Cerveceria).

These are my Chilean cousins. Never met them, but have the same Bavarian roots.
Rothhammer Beer

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313438 - 02/03/18 09:53 PM

Quote:

No that would be the individual bottle cardboard packaging.

Just have to win Lotto tomorrow night and "here we go!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#313440 - 02/03/18 11:03 PM

Quote:

the Business of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. :O

and here is a soundtrack for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV9X2d-f5g

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#313441 - 02/03/18 11:15 PM

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#313442 - 03/03/18 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the Business of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. :O

and here is a soundtrack for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV9X2d-f5g

OK will add Olive Oil importation into the list as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313459 - 03/03/18 07:30 PM

Quote:

OK will add Olive Oil importation into the list as well.

What, no cork hats?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#323493 - 20/01/19 06:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lancaster my friend, so what flavour of schnapps does one toast - waidmannsheil - the kill of a seal with? Seaweed?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13191

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com