Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.500 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: ducmarc]
      #312911 - 23/02/18 04:15 PM

Quote:

the latest reloader mag. has a few pages on the 6.5-300 weatherby wacker supposed to be fastest on planet.

Think it probably is..BUT, would rather have the 26 Nosler if I am going for the speed end..NO belt and IMHO, better designed cartridge for accuracy...

For a bit more moderate caliber, think this 6.5 PRC would be a good choice and was developed for accuracy and a bit more speed than the Creedmoor ..however it has a bit more recoil..

The 6.5/284 is a great overall cartridge as well based on my use of it..however if you use it in competition barrel life is an issue..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Ripp]
      #312923 - 23/02/18 10:03 PM

Wow!!! All this work to be the baddest fastest mofo 6.5 on the planet and here I am just now downsizing into a 6.5 Grendel. I’m either waaaaay behind the times or I am a bright light bucking the current populist trend.......

Ripp
.500 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Postman]
      #312934 - 24/02/18 12:45 AM

Quote:

Wow!!! All this work to be the baddest fastest mofo 6.5 on the planet and here I am just now downsizing into a 6.5 Grendel. I’m either waaaaay behind the times or I am a bright light bucking the current populist trend.......

Why do you have to be either or???

As I have stated before, you can enjoy them all..I had a Daniel Defense AR 6.5 Grendel, currently have rifles in 6.5x55, 26 Nosler, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, 264 W Mag...and enjoy shooting/hunting with them all..AND will probably get a 6.5 PRC...

Personally enjoy both the new calibers as well as the older ones..have never understood the mentality of when a new cartridge comes out it gets hammered by some who state it won't do anything better than what I currently have..fine, don't buy it..its as simple as that..pretty sure no one is forcing you...so why the attitude.???

Applaud you on the 6.5 Grendel --great round..very enjoyable to shoot..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (24/02/18 02:38 AM)

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #312959 - 24/02/18 05:13 AM

Ripp - I don't see a 6.5/.300WTBY in that list! You are waiting for?????????????????

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

Wayne59
.375 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Daryl_S]
      #312965 - 24/02/18 07:13 AM

I wonder if we can neck down a 50 BMG to 6.5. We could call it the 6.5 OMG.

Ripp
.500 member

#312967 - 24/02/18 08:04 AM

Quote:

Ripp - I don't see a 6.5/.300WTBY in that list! You are waiting for?????????????????

Daryl,

If I had them all there will be nothing left to look forward to :-)

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Wayne59]
      #312984 - 24/02/18 11:06 AM

Quote:

I wonder if we can neck down a 50 BMG to 6.5. We could call it the 6.5 OMG.

Here I was going to suggest a 450Rigby necked down to 6.5 but as usual someone had to go one better.

Daryl_S
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Rule303]
      #312991 - 24/02/18 12:27 PM

LOL - new data for it in the new 2018 Hodgdon Annual Manual out now.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.500 member

#312999 - 24/02/18 02:14 PM

Quote:

LOL - new data for it in the new 2018 Hodgdon Annual Manual out now.

SEE AS USUAL, THOSE OF US ON NITROEXPRESS WERE AHEAD OF OUR TIME..

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #313015 - 24/02/18 10:36 PM

Quote:

Personally enjoy both the new calibers as well as the older ones..have never understood the mentality of when a new cartridge comes out it gets hammered by some who state it won't do anything better than what I currently have..fine, don't buy it..its as simple as that..pretty sure no one is forcing you...so why the attitude.???

Ripp

Hey Ripp:

Rather well stated indeed!!!! For me, I like to play around with new (to me) toys as it can sometimes get boring repeating the same recipes at the loading bench. One thing that does irritate me a little bit is having to go through the tedium of having to search for and finding yet another die set and sometimes a shell holder although I must say, mail order and the Internet has made this an easier process...... I’m drowning in die sets!!!!!!

What I have found is that most cartridges are pretty similar and the finer nuances between them are often not terribly relevant in the field. There are two key categories to my mind: “big, fat and slow” or “small, skinny and fast”...... Then within those categories, one might look at horsepower and adjust for different game types and distances to be shot......

I do really believe over all else, that one should be able to choose and to play to one’s hearts content..... live and let live and be happy to have choices!!

One additional thought: Thankfully we have companies like Hornady that are willing to mess with new ideas to bring to the market and to take the commercial risk and cost of doing things that others may not. I for one am very appreciative of Hornady stepping in to the big bore arena in a big way, thus resulting in much more accessible and significantly less costly brass for the old time Nitro Express cartridges than what we may have seen even a few years ago.

Edited by Postman (24/02/18 10:46 PM)

Ripp
.500 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: Postman]
      #313022 - 25/02/18 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

Hey Ripp:

Rather well stated indeed!!!! For me, I like to play around with new (to me) toys as it can sometimes get boring repeating the same recipes at the loading bench. One thing that does irritate me a little bit is having to go through the tedium of having to search for and finding yet another die set and sometimes a shell holder although I must say, mail order and the Internet has made this an easier process...... I’m drowning in die sets!!!!!!

What I have found is that most cartridges are pretty similar and the finer nuances between them are often not terribly relevant in the field. There are two key categories to my mind: “big, fat and slow” or “small, skinny and fast”...... Then within those categories, one might look at horsepower and adjust for different game types and distances to be shot......

I do really believe over all else, that one should be able to choose and to play to one’s hearts content..... live and let live and be happy to have choices!!

One additional thought: Thankfully we have companies like Hornady that are willing to mess with new ideas to bring to the market and to take the commercial risk and cost of doing things that others may not. I for one am very appreciative of Hornady stepping in to the big bore arena in a big way, thus resulting in much more accessible and significantly less costly brass for the old time Nitro Express cartridges than what we may have seen even a few years ago.

Thank you and agree with your comments...

AND feel you pain as to "drowning in die sets"... Even that, to me, is interesting.. messing with various calibers, reloading..tweaking this or that, one always learns a little tidbit that can be tried or used on the others as well...really enjoy that...

YES, Hornady has really stepped up with products in the last decade or more..Steve has a great love of hunting and has been hunting all over the world for along time. Steve had actually been hunting in the same camp I was in Zim back in 2008..in fact, he shot his lion about 60 yards from where I shot mine about 10 days before..small world..

--------------------

Daryl_S
.577 member

#313067 - 25/02/18 05:35 AM

Yes, it is. Some time back, I (among others) had been pestering Hornady via e-mails, to being out a 25 gr.Vmax bullet for our .17's.
When that finally came to fruition, I received an e-mail, from Steve, I think, telling my "Daryl, your dream has come true, where would you like the first 50,000 shipped". I answered back - "some wholesale stores up here so we get them first".
He wrote back, almost immediately, sorry - the first 24,000 just went to Midway. LOL
Nice guy, though. I get catalogues, posters and their magazines from them, every year. Much appreciated. My bullet 'case' is loaded with red boxes. Some other colours as well, of course, but mostly red, from .172's to .458's.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.500 member

#313116 - 25/02/18 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is. Some time back, I (among others) had been pestering Hornady via e-mails, to being out a 25 gr.Vmax bullet for our .17's.
When that finally came to fruition, I received an e-mail, from Steve, I think, telling my "Daryl, your dream has come true, where would you like the first 50,000 shipped". I answered back - "some wholesale stores up here so we get them first".
He wrote back, almost immediately, sorry - the first 24,000 just went to Midway. LOL
Nice guy, though. I get catalogues, posters and their magazines from them, every year. Much appreciated. My bullet 'case' is loaded with red boxes. Some other colours as well, of course, but mostly red, from .172's to .458's.

That is a really cool story Daryl..thx for posting that..

Good to hear things like that in today's world..

--------------------

fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
      #314063 - 17/03/18 12:34 PM

Na, I think that retro is coming back with the 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano leading the way. :-)

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: fsrmg1]
      #314086 - 18/03/18 10:26 AM

Wayne59:

"I wonder if we can neck down a 50 BMG to 6.5. We could call it the 6.5 OMG."

P.O. Ackley necked the 50 BMG down to .22, he called it the ".22 eargunsplittenloudgunboomer" so no reason you couldn't do 6.5

Bob

fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: aromakr]
      #314087 - 18/03/18 10:37 AM

Might be worth a try, so long as it is the Improved version.

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

Daryl_S
.577 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: fsrmg1]
      #314092 - 18/03/18 12:07 PM

I was looking through some of my oddballs, came across a bunch of .5's, and some 20 mm brass. Now THAT would make a great .30 calibre varmint ctg. shooting solid guilding metal bullets at about Mach 7.

--------------------
Daryl

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #314189 - 20/03/18 08:32 AM

50 BMg - not enough powder. 20mm cannon down to 6.5!

Ripp
.500 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: HeymSR20]
      #314244 - 21/03/18 03:49 AM

Laugh away you naysayers...

The 6.5 does have some validity..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFrnhu_DV9M

--------------------

MagnumHunter
.275 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #319003 - 11/08/18 01:06 PM

This 6.5 thing is getting ridiculous....but I did get a Creedmoor and the new Weatherby, so...

Ripp
.500 member

Re: First-look- Hornady-6.5- PRC -- NEW & yes another 6.5 :) [Re: MagnumHunter]
      #319010 - 11/08/18 02:15 PM

Quote:

This 6.5 thing is getting ridiculous....but I did get a Creedmoor and the new Weatherby, so...

SO did SOCOM..

The 6.5 Creedmoor is here to stay, period

Been around now for more than a decade with sales still increasing every year... don't know of any manufacturer here in the USA that doesn't have at least one model in that caliber..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3343

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com