Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Information Help

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
CMWill
.224 member

Reged: 16/05/05
Information Help
      #31243 - 16/05/05 12:49 PM

Hello all,

I just became a member of this board, and from what I have seen in a very short time, this is an extremely friendly, information filled board. I was curious if anyone here could help me answer some questions about my double rifle. I own a J. J. Reeb boxlock double rifle, in about 30x40 krag cal. I know nothing about the maker, execpt that he is german, and know nothing about when the gun was made, for who, its value, its grade, etc etc. I am going to take pictures to post, which will hopefully help with dates, grade, and so on. Until then, I would greatly appreciate some of the gunmakers history or information if anyone has any of it. Thank you all, CMW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Information Help [Re: CMWill]
      #31246 - 16/05/05 03:52 PM

Hi CMWill,

Welcome on board.
I searched for JJ Reeb and found only this
jones

I wonder if there is no name's mispelling. Are You really sure of the name J. J. REEB

It might be a German or Austrian Gunsmith, anyway a small manufacturer.
BTW, here in Saverne, the closest gunsmith is J J SIPP.???

I am searching on.
jb

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Information Help [Re: larcher]
      #31285 - 17/05/05 05:56 AM

I have seen several drillings made by Reeb. I am not sure, but I think Reeb and Nerke had some kind of arrangement, also.

And...Welcome to our new member!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

CMWill
.224 member

Re: Information Help [Re: luv2safari]
      #31287 - 17/05/05 10:01 AM

Here are some pics, hopefully they turn out ok.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #31366 - 18/05/05 03:42 AM

CMWill,
You have a true gem there, a best quality gun in anyone's book. It appears that it was originally chambered for one of the now-obsolete 8 mm's like the 8 x 57R/360. It was rechambered in an English-speaking country, not England, as it would have required reproof and I see no English proof marks. My guess is that it was done in the USA. The bore diameter is clearly stamped .317 Dia. as is the caliber, 8 mm-.30-40 Krag. Also the name of the company that did the work, looks like I O Stone Co. That means that it uses a .30-40 Krag case, necked up to accept a .318 bullet. Be careful there, if you are not aware that modern 8 mm bullets are .323 diameter, not .318. If this gun was originally designed for jacketed bullets, it would normally be stamped StMG, for StahlMantellGesosch (steel-jacketed bullets). I don't see that stamp so assume that it may have used lead bullets originally. I would guess that you'd have best luck trying to regulate this rifle using 180 grain bullets, sized .317", and starting at around 1700 fps.
One last thing that I'm surprised nobody has pointed out. Back when this rifle was built, Europeans didn't put crowns on things being built for Joe-Schmo's like us. That symbol was reserved for royalty and the nobility. That gold crown and gold initials, inlaid into the horn triggerguard, suggest to me that this rifle was built for somebody pretty important. One of our European friends may wish to comment on that. I'm certainly no expert but that's my take on it.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Information Help [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #31398 - 18/05/05 12:47 PM

If it is a 8X57/360 it is easy to rechamber to the more common 8X57JR. I have a prized Tribbel drilling that was 8X57/360 and is now the 8X57JR; It was my choice as a deer rifle last fall and drops one shot onto the other.

Have a chamber casting done and tell us the results. Listen to ronvella; he knows what he is talking about.

It is a beautiful rifle!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #31413 - 18/05/05 03:27 PM

Quote ronvella : "I'm certainly no expert but....."

Are You joking? You are damned good.

Concerning the crown design, this M. J J Reeb is a

HOFBUCHSENMACHER
HOF / BUCHSEN / MACHER that means
COURT / RIFLE / MAKER
Reeb was a riflemaker for a court, a royal court.
We would say "by appointment of HM.. of HRA...

Sure this rifle is a gem.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Information Help [Re: larcher]
      #31466 - 19/05/05 06:09 AM

8 x 57R/360 was only a guess. It may have originally been any one of a dozen, now-obsolete 8 mm's. If it were the 360, it was not necessary to rechamber it. Custom-loaded ammo is still available in Germany, from Wolfgang Rohmer I think. Plus it's easy to make up the brass from 9.3 x 62R which is what I did with mine. Also, Norma, 196 grain, .318 diameter, jacketed soft points, still turn up at gun shows here, I bought 2 boxes of 50 last year for $20.

Edited by ronvella (19/05/05 06:17 AM)

CMWill
.224 member

#31756 - 23/05/05 05:30 AM

Thank you everyone for the information, but does anyone know anything about who the maker is, how old the rifle is, etc? Thanks, CMW

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #92714 - 27/12/07 05:22 AM

i just fell over this tread, cmwill i think you have the 8x58r danish made for the krag-joergensen.
look it up at cotw, if you need load data i will see if i can find some for you, the cases you can get from horneber. if you can get the photos up and working that would be great.

regards

peter

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3451

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com