Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2018 Alaska double shoot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
calpappas
.275 member

Reged: 15/10/09
Loc: Alaska, USA
2018 Alaska double shoot
      #309708 - 31/12/17 12:55 PM

Gentlemen:
A good new year to you all!

It's that time of year again to begin planning the 2018 Alaska Double Rifle Shoot. We will now host the shoot on the first Saturday in May so there is no arguing and debating about dates. The 2018 shoot is May 5th at the Birchwood facility about 20 miles east of Anchorage on the Glenn Highway.

A few of us will arrive at 9am to set up and the shooting begins at 10am when the range is open to the public. We will break at noon for lunch (provided) and resume shooting until our shoulders can't take it any longer.

All are welcome to attend and we host many each year from the lower 48 flatlands and some have joined us from overseas. This year a few are "thinking about it" from the UK, South Africa and Australia. A gent from England has confirmed. With enough notice the Alaska double rifle men can assist with transport and places to stay. My spare room is taken but I still have a cot and futon in the loft available.

Last year we had approximately 50 firearms there, most doubles (of course) including a couple of machine guns (with an original Thompson) and three howdah pistols.

I will have the following at the shoot: .450, .500, .500 no2, .577, 12-bore, 10-bore, 8-bore, 4-bore, .577 howdah pistol for my black powder doubles, and a .350 no2, .450-400, .450 no2, .500, .600 for my nitro doubles.

There will be one table set aside to put "for sale" items on.

All are welcome to shoot any and all rifles and we don't charge for ammo or food. In the past we have asked all to chip in to repay Rob for his payment of the range fee ($250 last year). And, last year when I announced to collect contributions, most quietly moved to the back of the crowd. This year when you register to shoot, rather than paying $20 to the range (which is the fee per person if the range is not reserved) we well ask all to chip in $10 for Rob. Any remainder will be put towards the food. (I am not alone in the hope Jim and Joyce will do the cooking).

You don't have to own or bring a double. Bring what you wish to shoot. Or, just show up.

I will email all those whom I have contacts with for confirmation in March and also ask the regulars what they can contribute in the way of food and drink.

Again, please remember all are welcome. Even if we piss and moan at each other on the forums, the shoot is neutral territory and I would like to see all of you here.
Cheers,
Cal

PS. I don't spend much time on the forums and PMs arrive once per day at 2am so please use email to contact me with any questions. <pappas@mtaonline.net>

--------------------

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: calpappas]
      #309712 - 31/12/17 01:50 PM

I know all who get to attend certainly will appreciate the vast effort all the shooters go through to even get to the stage of shooting these wonderful old arms that most of us would gladly give a kidney for - let alone your mind boggling lot!
Every one of these events are a great learning experience & information swap meet that like minded souls can do!
I hope it certainly goes off with a bang for you Cal...pun intended!
Best wishes for the New Year all
Kindest regards
93x64mm

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: 93x64mm]
      #310650 - 19/01/18 11:33 AM

Cal - I have emailed you direct

TH

calpappas
.275 member

Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: TH44]
      #310681 - 20/01/18 06:33 AM

Double Rifle Shooters:

Important change and update.

Birchwood has canceled our shoot as they are hosting an event and won't allow us to shoot on May 5th. Rather than change the date as many have their tickets and time planned, Rob and I looked to the Mat Su Sportsman's Shooting Range.

Kelly, range officer, gladly accepted us to shoot on May 5th. Rob and I were there last evening (January 15) and what is there is an upgrade from Birchwood. We will have a 100 yard range to ourselves with nine tables, use of the restrooms, and a large meeting room to chat and have lunch, show our firearms, have a "for sale" table, etc.

From what we saw Rob an I agreed this is the place for our yearly shoots.

On May 5th, the range is hosting an official competitive shoot so we are limited to our 100-yard range and the meeting room as all of the other areas will be under use. We can access the rest rooms.

Directions:
Mile 38.5 Glenn Highway in Palmer. Two miles south of the fairgrounds.

I will email all of you gents and please acknowledge the email so I know you are aware of the change of location. I will also update on the three forums I post on: Accurate Reloading, African Hunting, and Nitro Express (all .com).

Rob, myself, and some of the regulars will arrive at half 8 to 9am to set up and we will begin shooting at 10, lunch at noon, and resume shooting at 1 and continue to do so until our shoulders give out.

I would like to collect $10 from each person to pay the range rental fee. If any money is remaining, Jim and Joyce will be reimbursed for their food. (Note: Joyce is the only woman on the planet who shoots a 4-bore so be very nice to her!)

Thanks for your understanding and, believe me, this location is a step up for us.

Cheers,
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #310690 - 20/01/18 12:45 PM

Now THAT looks like a fine event to attend. What a blessing that would be, to attend it.
How close to town and what type lodging is available, Cal?
Motel, hotel? Names so I can check it out.
Still in the planning stages.
I need some time and stuff to check out.
" Mat Su Sportsman's Shooting Range."- same area, close to Anchorage?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: DarylS]
      #310701 - 20/01/18 06:04 PM

Good luck on the event. Sounds like a worthwhile event to attend for those close enough to be there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: NitroX]
      #310918 - 24/01/18 10:56 AM

I intend to attend the shoot

To make more of the trip, can anyone local give me information on any tours/wildlife companies for a few days before or after the 5th May?

Many thanks in advance

Tony

calpappas
.275 member

Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: TH44]
      #312298 - 13/02/18 09:33 AM

Anchorage has dozens of hotels and the shoot is before tourist season so rates are good.
To do?
Alaska Museum and Alaska Zoo.
Drive south to Seward or north to McKinley (Denali).
Some streams should be free of ice and fishing for rainbows is good. No salmon yet and lakes will still have ice.
On the drive from the airport is Motel 6. From there its <1 hour to the shoot.
email me at <pappas@mtaonline.net> if any questions.
All are welcome.
Cal

--------------------

Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

DarylS
.700 member

#312320 - 13/02/18 03:52 PM

Thanks Cal. I can't make it this year - away at that time.
Maybe next year?

--------------------
Daryl

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: DarylS]
      #312392 - 15/02/18 02:13 AM

I would like to be able to attend, but my teaching requirements won't allow me to travel in early May. Final exam time!

For those of you going to Anchorage, be sure to have a meal at the Glacier Brewhouse.

Tammy and I were there in July 2013 and enjoyed a fine lunch; mine with a perfect Martini, and hers with a great Bloody Mary. Highly recommended!

Another fine activity is the free bear ride! I've forgotten exactly where this is. Somewhere just south of Healy, I believe. Nenana River pulloff on Parks Highway perhaps?

We had a fantastic "flightseeing" tour of Denali out of Healy http://www.flydenali.com/denali-park-flightseeing.html This is a bit pricey, but well worth it. We landed on the glacier. Quite an experience!

After that we had a wonderful drive down to Anchorage with perfect weather for viewing.

I love Alaska and certainly plan to go back again.

Cal, thanks for your call a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed meeting you on the phone.

Curl

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: CptCurl]
      #312396 - 15/02/18 04:27 AM

This certainly is off-topic, so please forgive me. The topic is the double rifle shoot. But the question above by TH44 inspires this response.

Here are some phone videos from our Fly Denali, Inc. flightseeing tour of Denali. We flew out of Healy, AK, which is 250 miles north of Anchorage. I think they also fly out of Talkeetna, which is much closer to Anchorage.

The flight is pricey, but you only live once. Arrive early to claim the co-pilot's seat as I did. Our pilot said we should all buy lottery tickets after the flight because luck was with us for the best weather he had seen all year.

Views on the flight out.

Views approaching the glacier landing site.

Landing on the glacier. Hold your breath, but don't close your eyes!

Taking off from the glacier. Hope he makes it over those peaks!

Our return to Healy airport.

I hope you enjoy these videos. It was a heck of an experience.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

#312399 - 15/02/18 04:56 AM

Beautiful, Curly. Thanks.

--------------------
Daryl

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#312401 - 15/02/18 05:05 AM

If you can budget the time for a trip to Fairbanks, be sure to book a bus tour to the Arctic Circle, or even to Prudhoe Bay. Great fun!

Our tour guide was so informative and a great guy.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #312485 - 16/02/18 03:50 PM

Curl, you really should have posted here about your travels to AK (as should anyone else planning to come to AK). The Alaska double rifle men and women don't need much of an excuse to get out to the range with a visiting guest for an impromptu shoot. I've done it a few times and my machinegun club often does the same, especially when guests are from parts of Europe or Asia or the lower 48 where they can't have such fun. Spending quality time with such a wide variety of interesting people is priceless to me and worth every nickel of ammo I bring.

If you've got a layover before or after your cruise or huntin the future, please let us know.

It looks like you had a really good trip. Most visitors don't go nearly so far north and really miss out in my opinion. Well done.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: 2018 Alaska double shoot [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #312488 - 16/02/18 10:30 PM

Bob,

Yes we had a great trip in July 2013. Here's a rundown of our activities:

* Fly from Dulles to Anchorage;
* Rent car in Anchorage, spend two nights there;
* Drive to Whittier, board the Alaska Ferry and cruise to Valdez;
* Spend the night in Valdez;
* Drive to Copper Center, spend three nights at B&B;
* Drive to McCarthy;
* Drive to Fairbanks, spend four nights there; tour around Fairbanks, take bus tour to Arctic Circle;
* Drive to Healy, spend three nights there; tour Denali NP; take flightseeing tour;
* Drive to Anchorage, spend night and fly back to Dulles next day.

We left home on July 12 and returned on July 28, and as you see, we made a grand circle from Anchorage to Valdez, up the Richardson Highway to Fairbanks, and back down the Parks Highway to Anchorage.

I designed the entire trip using online research and The Milepost. We packed a lot of travel and fun into those two weeks.

In July 2015 we did a grand road trip out of Seattle. We drove all the way up through British Columbia, stopping along the way. This included a great visit with Daryl and Tracy at Prince George. We spent several days at Whitehorse, YT. Then we drove to Skagway, AK and boarded the Alaska Ferry for a four night cruise to Bellingham, WA with various stops along the way. Finally we drove from Bellingham back to SeaTac and flew home.

Your state is fantastic. Next time I will definitely try to work in a visit with gun friends. Thanks for the invitation.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6753

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com