Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher
      #311228 - 28/01/18 01:09 PM

Another of my English Retailed Mannlichers. This one a 1903, 6.5x54 “ take down” (removable stock) Model.
Proof stamps indicate 1929 was its Birthday. It has English proof marks commensurate with the period.
It sports some extra “Bells and Whistles”, such as pop up peep in the grip, the neat little grip cap trap ( minis its spare sight), gold inlaid safe and initialled escutcheon.
The trap in the butt is missing the cleaning rod as they often are, but I do have a replacement on the way.
Its Holland & Holland history is a little cloudy. Holland’s typically numbered the scope rings to the inventory number, and this rifle is no exception.
Holland’s inform me that this number is in a range where little information is available. More research required.
It has a nice blend of English influence and detail .The Holland & Holland mounts are amongst the best, looking as good and appropriate today as they did in 1930. Some things are timeless.
The Nickel Supra scope has brilliant clear optics still.
The bore is a little dark along its length, but has produced a best group of 1.3 inches to date with the long penetrating 160 gr Horned, and Woodleigh bullets. More work to do yet. The appropriate for Holland & Holland single trigger is a little on the heavy side, but reliable and crisp.
No refinishing is evident to wood or metal. It is a nice honest example, all numbers matching and nice patina overall. Regreatbley its without its case.
With 100 brand new Norma cases costing around $120, and very popular 6.5 bullets in plentiful supply…. what’s not to like.
I hope the pictures are of interest to Mannlicher officiardos and collectors alike.

Best
Eric

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher [Re: paradox_]
      #311231 - 28/01/18 01:24 PM

Absolute ripper, very very nice. The British Mannlichers are definitely one step up from the standard Austrian product. Lovely scope bases, they really suit the gun. Grip cap and sights are standard Steyr though. All-round fantastic. Strange that the trigger is heavy as I have a Model 1910 and an 1895 Dutch both with single trigger and they are superb triggers, the Model 1910 in particular is super crisp and breaks at about 3 lb with zero creep. My 1895 is almost as good. Well done.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #311245 - 28/01/18 08:22 PM

She's a peach!

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #312282 - 13/02/18 12:31 AM

Glorious!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
Re: Holland & Holland 1903 Mannlicher [Re: CptCurl]
      #312285 - 13/02/18 04:04 AM

Superb rifle there Eric. You have done well

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #312289 - 13/02/18 05:01 AM

Superb rifle, Paradox, well done and good hunting with it.
Best regards.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #312365 - 14/02/18 10:59 AM

Quote:

extra “Bells and Whistles”, such as pop up peep in the grip, the neat little grip cap trap ( minis its spare sight)
The trap in the butt is missing the cleaning rod as they often are, but I do have a replacement on the way.
Regreatbley its without its case.

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

The more I look at that beautiful MS, the more I like it.

My (Grand dad's) M1910 has the same Steyr 'take down' system, flip up tang sight, and extra sight bead (still there). It is in the same overall condition as yours, has the original rods and fitted case, but the case label (if it ever had one) is not present.

The feature that I really like about yours is that beautiful H&H scope mount. Mine has its Gerard 'B' scope claw mounted with the see through front mount dovetailed through the barrel just forward of the receiver. At least it's not cut through the roll stamping that way, but it's still cut.

As to its history, Grand dad (John F. Easton) bought it 'second hand' in Ceylon circa 1931 - 32 when he was stationed there as a 'Wingfoot' overseeing operations for Goodyear Tire & Rubber Corp. The history of the rifle prior to that is unknown to me, but that it was proofed in 1922.

'Johnny's cat' - John F. Easton (at center) with M1910 Takedown

He loaned it to my dad when he was doing classified 'radio work' on the Channel Islands (Santa Cruz - lots of pigs) in nineteen fifty - odd. I have had it since 1989.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3222

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com