Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What do you think about PHASA and CBL hunt support?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
What do you think about PHASA and CBL hunt support?
      #308375 - 27/11/17 09:26 PM

Just can't form an opinion on that one - probly don't know enough of the issue.

Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa (PHASA) seemed to make a stand on captive bred lion hunts or a couple of years. Then, on this year's convention, it reverses its position and approves CBL hunts.

Lots of hunting organizations are unhappy with this decision, saying the CBL hunts are damaging the image of hunting industry, and are inethical anyway. Nordic Safari Club, BookYourHunt, Sports Afield/Rowland Ward are already withdrawing their support of PHASA, DSC to announce their decision shortly.

PHASA says they're as opposed to canned hunts as anyone else, but the captive bred lion hunts they support are NOT canned hunts, because the time lag between release and hunt is sufficient. Another argument is why everyone's OK with hunting captive-bred deer, antelopes, etc., how is CBL different?

Thoughts?

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What do you think about PHASA and CBL hunt support? [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #308380 - 28/11/17 01:07 AM

I personally have not followed this much as of late..my personal feelings are I do NOT want to hunt animals behind a fence, period..that is not hunting in my opinion..each to their own..but not for me...Also doesnt matter to me if they are released a week or a month behind a fence..still a canned hunt in my opinion if that is the case..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What do you think about PHASA and CBL hunt support? [Re: Ripp]
      #308398 - 28/11/17 06:27 AM

I have seen a number of South African PHs resign from PHASA. Jaco Human, a member here. Alex McDonald. Just the two I have seen. Probably others.

At the recent AGM, PHASA changed its Constitution to change "ethical" to "legal". So anything legal is now open slather. Rather than a code of ethical and sporting hunting.

I agree completely woth thos leaving. Who intend to form a new PH association.

These captive bred lons ARE most certainly canned hunts. Usually the definition of a South African canned shoot of a lion.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #312191 - 11/02/18 10:42 AM

I don't think much of PHASA, based on my own personal experience with them and a scumbag operator named Bronkhorst.

But take my advice, ignore my opinion, and trust your own instincts.

Rationalization is easy to spot, and like hypocrisy is really the worst of all sins...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #312200 - 11/02/18 12:23 PM

Quote:

Just can't form an opinion on that one - probly don't know enough of the issue.

Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa (PHASA) seemed to make a stand on captive bred lion hunts or a couple of years. Then, on this year's convention, it reverses its position and approves CBL hunts.

Lots of hunting organizations are unhappy with this decision, saying the CBL hunts are damaging the image of hunting industry, and are inethical anyway. Nordic Safari Club, BookYourHunt, Sports Afield/Rowland Ward are already withdrawing their support of PHASA, DSC to announce their decision shortly.

PHASA says they're as opposed to canned hunts as anyone else, but the captive bred lion hunts they support are NOT canned hunts, because the time lag between release and hunt is sufficient. Another argument is why everyone's OK with hunting captive-bred deer, antelopes, etc., how is CBL different?

Thoughts?

Why is it different to hunt captive bred lion vs eg antelope or deer?

Good rational question.

I hunted on a fenced property in South Africa one time. The animals were far wilder than free range bred animals over the border in Zimbabwe. Why? Because of the huge and constant hunting pressure during the season. Clients at the begining of the season probably had tame animals by the multitude to shoot. When I was there, they had been hunted probably every other day for three months. And the ONE hartebeest 'trophy' left ran at the slightest. Same of the ONE or TWO impala rams, etc.

If you know the "names" of the "trophies" and they can only go as far as the fence, it is canned IMO.

Hunting free range was FAR more enjoyable. Hunted bushbuck nearby which were free range. Agin far more enjoyable than chasing agitated beasts around in the thorn jess in between fences.

Lions as the supreme predators on the apex are special. As apex predators, shooting a tame one seems to miss the whole point. The videos of canned lion hunts also showed how it works. How a canned lion defeated a whole troop of 'hunters' yet was too stupid to actually bite one of them. A true wild lion would have flattened him and mauled him. Lions are hunters themselves, canned lions are just prey.

As for the time between release and "shooting". Yes this can have an effect on wildness. But I will always remember a released fallow buck. Released a year before. Magnificent "trophy". I was hunting cull beasts. Local wild bred fallow only. The wild deer we could see on a hill across an open paddock where the released buck was feeding. If we disturbed him, he would run into the other deer and they would flee. How to get across the paddock without disturbing him?! In the end the only way, was to cross out in the open. The released buck looked up, then dropped his head to continue feeding ....

Contrast to that, a poorly antlered wild bred fallow on an opposite ridge would turn and run at the mere sight of a human, all one would see is the flash of sunlight on its palms as it turned ...

That released magnificent antlered buck now is proudly displayed as a "trophy" on the then Club President's wall ... wondered if he was able to walk right up to it and shoot it while it fed ...

The difference between captive bred and wild is more than a period of time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2297

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com