Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Eating roo meat

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Eating roo meat
      #21403 - 28/11/04 05:26 PM

I eaten roos and wallabies before which we had shot but someone told me that they carry a disease or worm which makes it unsafe to eat them. Does anyone know anything about this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
Re: Eating roo meat [Re: cr500]
      #21404 - 28/11/04 06:53 PM

Roos can and do carry alot of different parasites ,i ate roo meat for 3 months once [something i dont want to do again],but made sure they were healthy and younger animals .Kangeroos need worms in their gut to digest their food without them they die ,my brother who works for the DPI ,told me about pet kangeroos dying, after being drenched for worms because they ''clogged up''[apparently humans and dogs dont get these worms.The worst is Hydatids which mainly appear on lungs heart liver and is nightmarish to look at, and worse if a human gets it ,i have only seen two animals with it ,and that was the last five years[ i think because of changes in the weather ] .Other, are worms in joints, big clumps of them ,worms in the meat itself ,tapeworms in the liver etc .Or another one, is a purple colour to the lungs heart and a ''off ''smell .If in doubt DONT !!!!! Roos in certain areas seem to have certain parasites ,different properties i shot on ,would have their own parasites ,where as others only 10 or 15 ks away would not .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Eating roo meat [Re: kos]
      #21409 - 29/11/04 01:09 AM

The roos I have shot have never had any problems. As with ANY meat animal inspect the organs to ensure the animal is healthy.

I think the above description does not give a representative description of roo meat in general.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Eating roo meat [Re: NitroX]
      #21411 - 29/11/04 02:13 AM

kos is right about cysts of nematodes in the joints, but I don't think they can infect humans. As a uni-student with a young family in the late-70s/ early-80s, I never visited a butcher-shop for 2 years, 'living by the gun' as it were. We preferred agile wallaby, and wallaroo from the granite ranges inland from Townsville. When the greys came down onto the coastal plain in times of drought, they were heavily infected with nematodes and a bit onerous to butcher.

After butchering, we simply tossed everything into the deep-freezer for 2 weeks prior to cooking: no worries.

If the total picture was as bad as kos makes out, the HC industry could hardly survive and flourish as it does.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

kos
.275 member

Re: Eating roo meat [Re: Marrakai]
      #21418 - 29/11/04 07:34 AM

Most of the roos i have shot over the years have been healthy ,cr500 ASKED about worms etc ,and i gave him the worst case scenario when it comes to parasites, I didnt say ALL roos were like that,it pays to be careful when it comes to your health .

cr500
.300 member

#21438 - 29/11/04 03:19 PM

I think I will continue to keep on munching on Wallabie then. I will have a bit of a look at the areas you mentioned for worms and stick them in the freezers for a while. I will cut of a few choice cuts for the meal while out bush though. I wont be eating the livers or kidneys, we just cut the good bits off and maybe the skins.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #21481 - 30/11/04 08:28 AM

Is the meat similar to anything I might know?...mutton, venison...human flesh...(oops)?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

cr500
.300 member

Re: Eating roo meat [Re: luv2safari]
      #21486 - 30/11/04 09:43 AM

Probably like venison or veal. I know that when cooking it ,dont cook it too much or it gets tough. If it is cooked medium rare ,it stays nice and tender.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#21488 - 30/11/04 09:55 AM

Texture somewhat like venison. Deep dark meat with very low fat. Flavoursome. Can't really compare it as it tastes like 'roo and nothing like chicken.

Give it a try if you find some. The Kalifornicators in the USA banned it from sale as it is 'endangered' with only 63 million of them from the count a couple years ago.

We should be farming them instead of sheep.

A question for our 'roo eating experts. Is there a flavour difference between the different species - reds, western and eastern greys, various euros, wallaroos, wallabies ?

I don't know as I have only eaten Eastern Greys and store bought meat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

416SW
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/04
Loc: Melb Aust
Re: Eating roo meat [Re: NitroX]
      #21497 - 30/11/04 01:22 PM

Roo makes excellent curry, I only eat the younger ones where you can see the meat is a lighter colour. Eastern Greys only

kos
.275 member

Re: Eating roo meat [Re: 416SW]
      #21688 - 05/12/04 12:43 AM

Jack Absolom had a recipe for seasoned or stuffed roo leg which was supposed to be very good ! He had a t.v program some time ago .The fillet is very good and tender, as good as any steak .Wallaroo seems to stink [at least to me] more than the others, and wallaby seems tougher .I love hunting roos, some are dumb, but others will not sit still for a second ,ifthey have been hunted often .It might sound ridiculous to some people ,but roo shooting is something that just seems to get into your blood

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #21733 - 05/12/04 04:41 PM

I've eaten my fair share of red roo over the years.
Corned roo is particularly good.
Roo tail in a camp oven,1 cup of beef fat,2 cups of water,2 sachets of boquet garni and some minced garlic cooked on a slow bed of ashes,Delicious.
Risoles with heaps of vegetables and onions mixed together.Good tucker.
No wonder I weigh 125 Kgs.

Grey roo dont even make good dog baits!!!!!

Red roo's are generally wormy when a lot of green pick is about,

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #21736 - 05/12/04 05:35 PM

In reply to:

others will not sit still for a second ,ifthey have been hunted often

Contrary to popular belief, they aren't dumb; they just didn't evolve when the rifle was around, but they are fast learners, particulary Eastern Greys. They have excellent scenting ability, sensitive ears, and keen eyesight - during the day! At dusk, they seem to develop night blindness. If you want to hone your stalking skills, hunt a mob of roo's over and over again. They will soon become very flighty.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eating roo meat [Re: 470Rigby]
      #21741 - 05/12/04 11:19 PM

On the NE.com pig hunt last year the roos while about in daylight unlike the pigs were much more wary, generally staying a good 300 metres away at the closest.

A good test of stalking skills is to try to bow hunt roos. Rarely can they be approached into bow range unless the cover is close.

Had a couple of very pleasant roo steaks tonight. Just sealed on a cast iron plate and then finished off on the grill, left just this side of medium rare.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cr500
.300 member

Re: Eating roo meat [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #22393 - 19/12/04 12:03 PM

It would most likely be wallabies that we would be eating. I suppose these would be more tender than roos?

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
      #31182 - 15/05/05 12:13 PM

In reply to:

Jack Absolom had a recipe for seasoned or stuffed roo leg which was supposed to be very good !

I have made that recipe, it's seasoned and stuffed! It is very good, but you have to turn the oven down 20 degrees and cook it for an extra 1/2 hour... Basting is paramount though.

I love roo meat and pretty much only eat it except when I go to a pub and have a rump. Big roos are terrible for eating when compared to smaller ones. Ordinarily I wouldn't shoot one but a paddymelon is a really really good feed when placed on the spit and basted often. You need to baste roo heaps because of the lack of fat.

I havn't seen very much worm infestation up here in roos, down south though there are a lot more, they still have them obviously but not as many.

The trick to roo is let it rest before butchering and after cooking! Very fast or very slow cooking or you end up with a slab of rubber! I have done just about every recipe and combination of flavors you can do with roo meat and it rarely disappoints. Indian and asian flavors are particularly good in my book, Cajun is also a favorite.

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com