Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: Ripp]
      #311371 - 31/01/18 02:42 AM

Info from SHOT SHOW

NOW SAAMI approved...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shot-show/shot-show-2018-range-day-federal-valkryie/

After weeks of pre-SHOT Show buzz, OSG senior digital editor Lynn Burkhead received a full fledged update from Federal Premium Ammunition’s JJ Reich on the company’s much talked about new 224 Valkyrie cartridge.

At Industry Day at the Range, Reich noted that the new 224 Valkyrie round has just received approval by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) just prior to the start of SHOT Show 2018.

With tack-driving long range accuracy thanks to a flat trajectory and supersonic ballistics out as far as 1,300-yards, Reich noted that the 224 Valkyrie compares very favorably with popular long-range rounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor…with about half of the 6.5 Creedmoor’s felt recoil!

Add in several affordable bullet options from Federal Premium Ammunition, not to mention plenty of energy delivered to the target, and the new 224 Valkyrie round works for a wide variety of shooters ranging from casual plinkers to competitive shooters to hunters of medium-sized game like varmints, wild hogs, and white-tailed deer.

What’s more, when the 224 Valkyrie is coupled with firearms like Savage Arms’ new MSR 15 Valkyrie modern sporting rifle, Reich notes that the result is one of the shooting world’s most exciting new cartridges in years.

No wonder its one of the shooting and hunting industry’s most-talked about new items here on the eve of the SHOT Show’s 40th anniversary!

Information: (800) 379-1732; www.federalpremium.com

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #311377 - 31/01/18 04:01 AM

Hope the throats don't wear out before some good loads are worked up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: Will_F]
      #311398 - 31/01/18 07:13 PM

Quote:

Can’t hear it hit or even see it hit when shooting steel at 600 yards. Great only for shooting paper. 6.5 Grendel still the best AR15 based round.

Will F.

Nah, the 6.8SPC as originally designed in my book. Puts a bigger hole in the critter at all usefull hunting ranges. Not worried about paper ballistics with trajectory and 100yd probabilities.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: DarylS]
      #311399 - 31/01/18 07:17 PM

Quote:

Daryl, it isn't a Weatherby or Nosler so a case only holding up to 35? grains of powder I don't think will burn to many throats.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: Rule303]
      #311416 - 01/02/18 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Daryl, it isn't a Weatherby or Nosler so a case only holding up to 35? grains of powder I don't think will burn to many throats.

Have to agree... don't see that as in issue in this case..

Ripp

--------------------

ismith
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/17
Loc: Helena, MT
      #311517 - 02/02/18 02:47 PM

Change the name to .224 Creedmoor and they will sell like brownies in in Colorado.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: ismith]
      #311542 - 03/02/18 04:37 AM

Quote:

Change the name to .224 Creedmoor and they will sell like brownies in in Colorado.

INDEED..and "brownies" in Colorado have unique flavors and qualities about them these days..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#323901 - 27/01/19 01:20 PM

First-look- Savage Arms- MSR-15-long-range

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0119

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#323902 - 27/01/19 01:30 PM

Doubletap--.224 Valkyrie ammo-- 90-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet-- muzzle velocity of 2,900 fps from a 24-inch barrel

For 2019, Doubletap is offering a new load for the .224 Valkyrie, which continues to grow in popularity, especially with AR-15 shooters who want to push bullets into the next county with precision and limited recoil. This load has a 90-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet designed for long-range performance with a muzzle velocity of 2,900 fps from a 24-inch barrel. This year, Doubletap has also redesigned their packaging to include a thin blue line, honoring law enforcement officers. $29.95 per 20; doubletapammo.net

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #323903 - 27/01/19 03:27 PM

I am taking the "Wait and see" attitude with this one.

So far I have not seen anything that would cause me to want one yet. Yes it's faster then the 5.56 NATO, but so is the 22-250 (by quite a lot) so the fact that the "Valk" fits into an AR is the one thing that may make it grow in popularity. I do not know what the downrange addition of velocity it gives (not all that much as compared to a 22-250) is really going to gain over the NATO cartridge loaded with bullet up to 77 grains.
I do not argue that the heavier bullet at high velocity is going to beat the 556 at ALL ranges in a test of speed.

But I have not found the "mission statement" where that speed would matter in real world shooting. To sales-pitch this as a new "long range hunting rifle" seems to pale in comparison to dozens of older far more powerful and well established shells available for decades.

Around the middle of Wyoming the AR with a standard 5.56 chamber is the King of Varmint Guns and those that want something faster have been the driving force to barrel (or re-barrel) 22-250 bolt actions in 1-8 twist or sometimes 1-7.

Shooting at ranges over 600 and out to 1200 is not something anyone seems to need or want semi-auto function for, at least around here.

Personally I think an AR type rifle in a 22-250 would be very cool, but there are no magazines available that will accommodate that much body taper for such rifles (yet)

The 224 Valkyrie may be a step in that direction. It doesn't meet the velocities of the 22-250, but it is faster then the 5.56 NATO

But only time will tell if this catches on or fizzles. For me personally, I'll save my money and let someone else do all the research and development on this one. This may be very cool later on, but not interesting enough to me to make me spend money on one yet.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: szihn]
      #323904 - 27/01/19 03:38 PM

It's just more reach and higher BC flight for the AR guys.
Nothing more than that.

At that it's cool for them, as long as the retailers are setting up with appropriate twist rates and the throat works with whatever bullets they're using.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: tinker]
      #323909 - 28/01/19 02:09 AM

Quote:

It's just more reach and higher BC flight for the AR guys.
Nothing more than that.

At that it's cool for them, as long as the retailers are setting up with appropriate twist rates and the throat works with whatever bullets they're using.

Agreed--which I am certain they will... they want/need to make sales..

--

Quote:

So far I have not seen anything that would cause me to want one yet. Yes it's faster then the 5.56 NATO, but so is the 22-250 (by quite a lot) so the fact that the "Valk" fits into an AR is the one thing that may make it grow in popularity. I do not know what the downrange addition of velocity it gives (not all that much as compared to a 22-250) is really going to gain over the NATO cartridge loaded with bullet up to 77 grains.
I do not argue that the heavier bullet at high velocity is going to beat the 556 at ALL ranges in a test of speed.

Agree with Tinker on this one.. made for the competition fields more than varmints, etc.. correct, its chambered in AR's now by several manufacturers, not aware of any in the 22.250??..

Can see your hits and fast follow up..able to use heavy for caliber bullets so higher bc for the longer ranges 800+ yds.. all in an AR platform..

Long term who knows, but in the short time its been around, seems to be picking up a little steam.. Personally I like the 6mm Creedmoor..

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#323910 - 28/01/19 02:32 AM

Quote:

I hope they sell the hell out of them.
The more Americans we have exercising their skills in the wind at range the better off we are in the long run - for all the reasons, *hunting included*, if that gets more people out there trying then good for us all.

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: tinker]
      #323911 - 28/01/19 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope they sell the hell out of them.
The more Americans we have exercising their skills in the wind at range the better off we are in the long run - for all the reasons, *hunting included*, if that gets more people out there trying.

If I keep agreeing with you people will think you ane I are up to something..
But, agree with the above--think its awesome, the more people are out there shooting the better off we all are..

PRS has gone crazy in the US the last few years..AND the manufacturers are responding with better products to fill the need ..all the way from gun manufacturers, scopes, stocks, bullets, electronics, etc... NOT that big of a deal anymore to be shooting 1000 yards..now its 1500, 2000 and beyond.. pretty cool..

Even in my neck of the woods..used to be 500 yards was about it for a range--I now know of several ranges an hour or less that go anywhere form 1000 to 2000..

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #323915 - 28/01/19 05:27 AM

I just got a call from Colin Stolzer. He has a customer that has an Olympic arms AR in 22-250.
I looked it up and yup..........he's right.

The down side is they are using the old 1-14" twist, so this is not going to shoot the long heavy VLD type bullets, but I'd bet they could be talked into making one with a 1-8" twist.
So they were ahead of me on that.

Ripp
.577 member

#323921 - 28/01/19 09:32 AM

Quote:

I just got a call from Colin Stolzer. He has a customer that has an Olympic arms AR in 22-250.
I looked it up and yup..........he's right.

The down side is they are using the old 1-14" twist, so this is not going to shoot the long heavy VLD type bullets, but I'd bet they could be talked into making one with a 1-8" twist.
So they were ahead of me on that.

Yes, I googled that and saw it earlier as well, but didn't think it was really relevant as their website shows the following:

Availability: DISCONTINUED
This product is no longer available. - This product has been discontinued either by our distributor or the manufacturer. It is not currently available for sale.
NOTICE: Due to unexpected demand and events beyond our control, this ETA is only an estimation and the actual time frame may be longer.
We are not currently accepting back orders for this item. Please add the Ultimate AR in .22-250, Olympic Arms part number UMAR22250 to your watch list to be notified when this item is available again.

To my knowledge, they are/were the ONLY manufacturer that was offering it, and as you state the twist is incorrect for what the Valkyrie is designed for.. long, bc, heavy for caliber bullets..moderate velocity for barrel life, etc...

Other concerns I would have is the velocity of the 22-250 during what can be a rapid rate of fire..based on what I have read, during the evaluation of SOCOM between the 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor, even the relatively small difference in velocity between those 2 resulted in lower barrel life by over 30% for the 6 Creedmoor..hence, SOCOM choose the 6.5..

I constantly get hammered on here for my love of high velocity cartridges.. 26 & 28 Nosler..300RUM, etc. to name a few...this is no different..actually far worse as is a target/comp. rifle with many fast follow up shots...as least for the longer range target shooting...

Interesting video on the two I found here..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHqm4V6Z6s

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (28/01/19 09:56 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #323924 - 28/01/19 11:55 AM

Could have been written better.
Standard .22-250 twist except for Savage's 12" is 14".
Even at that, my 14" Rem. 700 likes the 62gr. Nosler Varmegeddon that they say needs a 12" twist.

No reason a .22-250 with 7 or 8" twist chambered rifle couldn't not be throated for the long bullets .

Of course, THAT is where the .220 Swift comes into perspective in bolt guns. All of the RP .220 Swift brass I measured, ran a maximum of .0015" out of round, right to 1" above the extractor groove. Most were spot-on, .0000" x .0000" wall thickness.

The .22-250 would easily work on an AR10 platform with long bullets of course, if one thought they needed a semi-auto.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Re: The-Keefe-report- .224-Valkyrie- The-next-big-thing? [Re: DarylS]
      #323925 - 28/01/19 12:06 PM

Quote:

The .22-250 would easily work on an AR10 platform with long bullets of course, if one thought they needed a semi-auto.

Again the point isn't to simply get something "into a semi auto" - the specific target audience is the folks who run the AR15
That's a huge audience, and a specific set of constraints.
The ability to knock out two pins and do a significant caliber swap is the feature to work around, this does it.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #323927 - 28/01/19 01:31 PM

Quote:

But I have not found the "mission statement" where that speed would matter in real world shooting. To sales-pitch this as a new "long range hunting rifle" seems to pale in comparison to dozens of older far more powerful and well established shells available for decades.

Around the middle of Wyoming the AR with a standard 5.56 chamber is the King of Varmint Guns and those that want something faster have been the driving force to barrel (or re-barrel) 22-250 bolt actions in 1-8 twist or sometimes 1-7.

Shooting at ranges over 600 and out to 1200 is not something anyone seems to need or want semi-auto function for, at least around here.

Personally I think an AR type rifle in a 22-250 would be very cool, but there are no magazines available that will accommodate that much body taper for such rifles (yet)

The 224 Valkyrie may be a step in that direction. It doesn't meet the velocities of the 22-250, but it is faster then the 5.56 NATO

But only time will tell if this catches on or fizzles. For me personally, I'll save my money and let someone else do all the research and development on this one. This may be very cool later on, but not interesting enough to me to make me spend money on one yet.

Everything you say here applies in principle to the 6.5x55/6.5 Creedmor debate. I own 6.5x55 rifles in modern actions and for that reason have not bought a Creedmor, but everybody I know that has the latter really likes it.

I do not own a Valkyrie either but think that since the standard 5.56-sized AR is THE rifle in the USA today, the addition of more calibers to feed that platform is A OK w/ me.

I'm actually interested in this one if simple uppers are available and the standard lower can be used. Mod'd mags would be no big deal. I've got redundancy in AR's and it would be neat to try one of these not to mention the utility on coyotes and deer.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13642

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com